Page 1 of 132 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: Gallardo replica BUILD diary starts here

Gallardo replica BUILD diary starts here

Firstly i hope all the messages ive sent to all have arrived ok??If ive been gracious enough to send pics then please be as respectful and let me know they have arrived.

My gallardo replica build will be starting in the next few weeks,im going to show pics of the process that turns the mr2 spyder into the gallardo coupe.

What i have been doing is getting everything needed to complete the build before i start,i dont want to be trawling ebay ads looking for bits and bobs and just getting frustrated by the whole thing

My parts are now as follows,my gallardo kit,gallardo wheels,original windshield,oem lights,wheel adapters,some other oem coupe glass,and of course the base car a 02 tiptronic mr2 spyder,there is only one thing im waiting for and thats a set of coilovers ive purchased in the usa,as soon as they arrive i will begin the car strip followed by the re-body conversion,

A few issues i had concerns over,but ive now sorted in my own mind.namely: how to replace a strut in the event its needed,with the coupe roof conversion and using oem windshield the strut top mounts will effectivly be well inside the windshield,a custom dash exstension will cover them but for this im on my own,the kit maker doesnt offer any assistance in cutting the base cars in any way,they will sell you all the coupe grp parts but fitting them is down to the builder,my plan is a dash exstension with x2 round speaker covers housed directly above the struts.in the event one or both need changing it should be very easy as looking down through the windshield should be an easy enough task to get a socket in there?,at least once the struts are unbolted they drop down and out so nothing will have to come upwards,other issue i have is door glass,for the coupe it has to be custom,i will be cutting my door tops as again per a dna 360/430 build,i have got a uk manufacturer ready to do the job as soon an i provide him with the metal pigs he needs to heat and bend the glass over,the process involves taking out the door glass as having a rigid plastic 3mm foam board template that fits the window mechanism ,once a proper mechanical fit has been sorted its then the roofline and door front and back to get correct,with the plastic window now fitting as it should ,the door templates have to be recreated in steel with the correct shape bent into them,a couple of steel strenthening struts tigged onto the rear of each pig to make sure they dont move or mishape then off to the glass makers who lets the pre-cut and drilled laminate glass bend under its own weight in a special furnace while sittng on my steel pigs,"easy"!!!!!!,i will most probbably offer these for sale to other exactreplicas customers who decide a coupe is for them,there will some fussing to get it sorted but the only problem i see is finding time to get it all done fast enough!!!!!

I have secured a scrap mr-s which is a total non runner,it was a flood damaged car so no structural damage in any way,ive done this as i will use this car for all trial fits and when it comes time to cut the windshield off i will practise the dreaded deed on it first,at the end of the day its totally stripped but well worth the 250 ive paid for it just to get it right on the good car

Before i even start getting into the build i want to make it clear it wont be a full clone of a gallardo in the way experts like murcie-me has created with his amazing murcelago,there will be slight differances to the factory car,in the same way the dna range of cars are created,i make no secret or try to hide that fact,but the one thing i do know is this,it will be a beautiful lamborghini gallardo inspired car that will build very fast,require no stringent pre registration tests,it requires no mechanical expertise to complete,it will be buildable and usable in most countries around the world,so i hope you all like the way it looks!!

I will be uploading pics of my kit and other bits today/evening and will keep you all informed as it goes together.

Moderator Note: Please refrain from all Caps, it is considered rude. Please note I have fixed your topic title

Re:Gallardo replica build diary starts here

great to see you're finally starting. been waiting to see someone get stuck into a gallardo build for a long, long time now!

Sounds impressive Alpina, particularly the door glass 8). I wouldn't have a clue how to start on that. Let us know how the windscreen cutting goes

BTW - I had the 2nd set of pics [the rear section] many thanks.

John.

hi im having a mare trying to upload on image shack so ive just sent a donation to ari so hopefully i will be able to do it asap,ref screen cut etc,all will be photographed and posted,thanks

You're doing a great job alpina..
    Keep up the good work and can't wait to see your build diary.

Greetz,

build starts soon

hi again these neighbours thing has me flustered ,can i ask was a guy a strawbury blonde red head type,bit geeky lookin??he,s a fireman and i sold him some land"we dont get on !!!

next stocky guy,looks like a handful,bald or nearly there for sure,he,s a C-I-D
    officer,right nosey twat,and yep you guessed it,i sold him some land and hey we dont get on!!!.any help would e appreciated,nowt worse than lookin over your shoulder"so to speak"
    thanks john.
    p.s. just seen the pics from the paddack at show.. they look good.fair play
    Attached Images Attached Images  

as can be seen the kits been made to fit well and fast!!!!!!!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

hey alpina good luck with the build, im looking forward to seeing it all come together,

where did u get the headlights and rear lights from? and how much were they?

glad to finally see some pics. looking forward to watching this build, good luck.

looks brilliant alpina. really wish i didnt sell my build slot now!

is that the windscreen from the coupe roof section in the background of the pics? can you email me any more pics you may have?

would be interesting to know if the lenses have been moulded and available with the kit, can brian or anyone confirm? and come one, lets see some pics of the coupe and lp parts!