Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My 89 style Countach replica build

My 89 style Countach replica build...now 5000s

Hi all,
    I've been watching all these build threads in amazement. I got ahold of an incomplete lambo project last March. Actually, I should tell you the whole story, condensed, kinda neat. I always watch Ebay for unique replicas, but especially Countach replicas, as I've always wanted to own one. Anyway, a Countach kit on a fiero caught my eye so I started watching the auction. The photos of the car were very dark so I couldn't make out much detail let alone the actual shape of the car. I emailed the seller and he sent me a couple more photographs showing more of what was being offered. It was an Anniverary replica but with the front and rear bumpers of an older style and tall airbox covers. It was however the correct wheelbase for a Countach and seemed to have a pretty nice overall line to it. I've shown the actual photo sent to me that made me decide this car had great possibilities. So I'm watching the auction on this until the last couple minutes and then throw in a bid. A few seconds later, someone outbids me, so I bid again. We go back and forth like this bidding until the very end when he outbids me with 6 seconds to spare and I lose the auction by $50.00. for a total of $4,250 for the car
    I even screen captured the horror for my lost dream car project. sad I know, but I really wanted this car. I contacted the seller as by now I had a good repor with him and tell him if this buyer backs out that I truly want the car. Ebay's auctions allow 13 days for the trasaction to be finalized and he still hadn't heard from the winning bidder three days later. When the seller finally heard from the bidder, he was looking to export the vehicle and things just kinda went down hill from there. He contacted me at the end of the 13 days and asked if I still wanted the car. Needless to say, I was in a little slice of heaven and of course said I did. I arranged transport for the car and went with the truck to pick it up..sooo much cooler in person, I was looking at a lamborghini, my lamborghini... ohh boy!. I took lots of pics of it getting loaded to the flat bed and on it, it was truly mine. I've since this time, been collecting all the parts I need to make this replica as nice as I can, my dream car. I saw a set of rare front Pirellis on Ebay and won them for 80 bucks plus shipping. I contacted the seller and he offered to drop em off as he lived close by. I didn't notice his location in the listing, but turned out he was about 35 minutes from me. Anyway, he dropped off the tires and we got to talking. As it turns out, he actually has an 89 Countach and was going to be showing it at a show coming up in a couple weeks. I met him there after talking on the phone a few times and asked him if he'd be willing to assist me in my build by letting me take measurents and photos of his car, he said no problem, the rest has kinda been history. I 've been documenting his car to compare to mine and keep finding things I want to change to the exterior. This started my quest for finding as accurate a part detail as I could. It's an on going quest , but thanks to fellow builders and owners or fabricators of these cars like yourselves, I've almost obtained everything I need to "fix" my dream car. What I can't find, I make, just like everyone else, though I definitly have alot of questions as to bodywork, not experienced enough for this, though I can make molds. My replica does have a few "Glaring" mistakes that I want to correct, you will see these in the photos..so here we go.
    enjoy the pics and progress as I struggle to build my dream car for me and my son.
    William

Last edited by wbnemo1; 09-29-2016 at 11:49 PM.

Re: My 89 style Countach replica build

here's some pics of my first starting to collect parts for the car. You can see the samari tail lights and subaru turn signal parking lamps I first aquired as well as the FZR headlamps I was planing to use and a few of the emblems I'd aquired, some real , some replicas. You can also see jy first attempt to make the turn signal parking lamp scribed clear covers notorious for the Countach.

good luck with your build, you've got a lot of work there . are you going to re do the headlight pots /lids to original look?
    the Fiero pop ups are kind of shaby. any pics from the rear ?

This is one of the areas that i never could see until I picked up the car. I'm totally wanting to redo this area , even have a friend that ran me a new fender and will be running the other side as well soon. I have light pods and a whole bunch of details and parts I've bought since these initial photographs. I'll post these now. I have done alot of research finding parts used for the real Countach and am hoping to use these with my build. Those big square black things in that one photo next to the emblems are my replacement door hinges. You can also see my Fiat 124 door pulls, same as used on the 89 Countach. upper right hand, you can barely make out the interior coutesy light switches off a fiat 124, again accurate to the real car. Right below the right hinge you can see the old mercedes door catch. This is also 100% real to the Countach. One note of interest, you have to find the angled ones or they won't catch the striker properly. I also included two photos of my replacment fender set on the car and off. The one photo you can see a cover placed in the recess, that is my friends old oem cover, he gave it to me as a gift after I made him new ones for his car. Ohh and almost forgot, the rear tail lights are off an Alfa Alfetta, same kind used for the Countach. Next to the
    subaru turn signal parking lamps, you can see a switch stalk. This is off an SD1 Rover, exactly the same stalk the Countach uses. I have a gentleman overseas that is going to help with steering parts as well as a true column shroud as well.. I have no idea if this is all doable here in the states, but is a popular steering set up abroad, might be in dream land here.

here's some gauge face artwork I made to do overlays on Jaeger gauges from an old Jaguar, they are the proper gauges at least... pics of the art work then installed

For good measure, here's my friends Countach

Wow great start to a really cool replica overhaul! I am doing the same kinda thing with my F40 replica, you are definitely off to a great start since you already have a correct wheelbase car! I will be watching your build, when I started looking at kits I knew I wanted an F40 or a Countach, bid and lost on a couple of Countach's on e-bay before I found my F40 through a private seller. Well good luck with the rebuild!

Matt

should I resize these photos or are you all ok with this size?

William

in this photo I played a little with photopaint enhancements modifying the rear bumber, the airbox covers, side rockers, and the windows to how they will look with my modification parts. At least here you can see it has a pretty nice shape or at least I think it will.

Pictures look great just how they are! I still think once I have my F40 done (10 years from now LOL), I will have to pick up a correct length Countach to play with, I think the two would be perfect stablemates!

Matt