Page 1 of 27 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: TobyGaff AD355 GTS BUILD Thread

TobyGaff AD355 GTS BUILD Thread

Hi guys. I am sure that everyone is tired of AD355 builds by this point, but I am going to start another one anyway... because I am going to need your ideas and help to finish it.

First, the basics... I have a 1984 Chassis with an AD355 Spider body. The chassis has a 3" stretch. The body is based off of the actual Ferrari molds, not the Fiero modded rear quarters and doors, so I will have a lot of modifications to make it all fit. I also have an OEM sized rear decklid, door scoops, and bumpers. My hood is the OEM sized hood set up for the curved windshield.

The powerplant is a 4.6L Northstar with a Howell Engineering performance computer. The transmission is an F40 6-speed manual.

I am very interested in getting this car as close to the real thing as I can possibly afford. I am a huge 355 fan, and I am not really interested in something that is "pretty good". I am looking for exceptional, I am just not sure if I have the skills to pull it off. We'll see.

In order to get the car as accurate as possible, I am trying to use real parts as much as possible. I am starting to stockpile them as I get good deals.

I will attach a few pictures so that you can see where I am so far. The body is just sitting on the car right now so that I can get a feel for how it fits. I have not done any panel alignment at this point.

I look forward to your suggestions and input as I move forward.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: TobyGaff AD355 Spider Build Thread

a few more pics

The parts stash.

Good luck, I'll be following your build closely as I am about to begin my AD355 Berlinetta build. I hope their not tired of AD355's just yet.
    Mine also has the OEM door scoops and several OEM parts, although it's a non stretch and the Fiero windshield.

I'm tired of them! HAHAHAHa only because everyone is passing mine up and finishing them.

Just kidding. I think the AD355s make up a good amount of active members on this forum so I'm sure we are not tired of it. It sounds like Funnywheels will be the closest car to what you are building so Dave will be one of your best resources.........as he is with most all of us. ;D

I look forward to seeing your progress.

Good luck with the build. You are at least starting off with one of the best kits. My AD355 build diary is http://www.madmechanics.com/build-diaries/my-ad355-spider-now-a-coupe-build/ this should help answer a few questions and if not let me know and I will help where ever I can. Mine is similar to yours with the OEM lower door vents, hood, extended windshield, etc.. I have gone a little out in left field buy building a custom tube chassis, longitudinal 4.9 V8 and moving the radiators to inside of the read quarters.

You and anyone else interested may want to talk to Don on this forum as he is building some molds using my OEM Ferrari headlight buckets. They will be a lot cheaper from Don then using real OEM parts. The headlights buckets alone cost me over 1K.

You can do anything you want to if you just set your mind to it including building this car....

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Good luck with the build. You are at least starting off with one of the best kits. My AD355 build diary is http://www.madmechanics.com/build-diaries/my-ad355-spider-now-a-coupe-build/ this should help answer a few questions and if not let me know and I will help where ever I can. Mine is similar to yours with the OEM lower door vents, hood, extended windshield, etc.. I have gone a little out in left field buy building a custom tube chassis, longitudinal 4.9 V8 and moving the radiators to inside of the read quarters.

You and anyone else interested may want to talk to Don on this forum as he is building some molds using my OEM Ferrari headlight buckets. They will be a lot cheaper from Don then using real OEM parts. The headlights buckets alone cost me over 1K.

You can do anything you want to if you just set your mind to it including building this car....
    Dude, your car rocks!!! What would you charge me to make me a set of those door jams? ;D

I am absolutely interested in the headlight buckets. I will check with Don. I found a set of originals for $300, probably a good price, but didn't buy them at the time. They are probably gone by now.

You and anyone else interested may want to talk to Don on this forum as he is building some molds using my OEM Ferrari headlight buckets. They will be a lot cheaper from Don then using real OEM parts.
    So is that everything under the covers? Interesting topic. We should probably ask Don to start a new thread about them before tobygaff's thread gets hijacked. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by sactodreamer
    You and anyone else interested may want to talk to Don on this forum as he is building some molds using my OEM Ferrari headlight buckets. They will be a lot cheaper from Don then using real OEM parts.
    So is that everything under the covers? Interesting topic. We should probably ask Don to start a new thread about them before tobygaff's thread gets hijacked. ;D
    I would be willing to sacrafice my thread for a free set of buckets.

Actually it would be cool if we could modify them to use some sort of cheap lift motor instead of the Ferrari ones that are a bajillion dollars. If we could use cavalier or saturn lift motors that would be cool. From what I understand, the cavalier lights will work in the stock Ferrari buckets.

Well, I haven't posted for a while, but I have been working on the car, it just doesn't seem that I have accomplished much. I have been working on cutting the rockers to do the chassis supports using MacGyver's method. MacGyver, I have to give you props. Tucking the rails up into the rockers is an awesome way to do it. It is going to work out great.

Don, any updates on those headlight buckets?