Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: M4S (Wraith Car) restoration

M4S (Wraith Car) restoration

I started this post with the intention of getting feedback about our progress on making kits. I'm pushing to get it moved to the diary area because i'm not mostly updating to show progress on the original movie car. I'll post something about the kits when they become available. The original post is below...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I posted in a different topic that had been dead for a while. I figure that i should just start a new one.

There had been some interest (from what i saw from other members) in a Wraith kit. Most enthusiests recognize the car as the Dodge M4S concept which gained more recognition as the Wraith movie car. I'm working with another gentleman (Lyle) on rebuilding one of the original movie stunt cars. We've had many requests to do a kit for this car, which is what got me searching for a site like this.

The original restoration is not quite done, but we're getting rather close. On our site we have a seperate forum for fans of the film. We've also started a topic there on what members would like to see in a "kit" if we decide to copy the body. Putting out a full blown kit may be difficult to do, given that the movie car only had so much to it. We had to improvise a LOT of features to make this car what it is. The interior is all custom, we only had a steering column to work with. The lights for the original M4S are discontinued, so likewise, we had to improvise the best we could.

Are there any other members, here, that are interested in such a project? The more feedback we can get, the more likely we're going to throw this together.

You can see more photos of the restoration, and even short videos from our site. There is a link to the forum there as well. www.thewraithcar.com

Re: M4S (Wraith Car) kits

As a Kid that car is still one of my favorites..Hopefully when I finish my 2 projects I can get one to build. I had some question about the chassis if you could email me biggoof29@yahoo.com thanks Luke

We have been teased for years with the promise of a Wraith Kit. If you reallly step back and study that car body it is a timeless classic. Never mind a full blown kit (chassis, interior, exterior) just produce the bodies and let the Wraith lovers customize the rest to the way they want it. May the Best Wraith Win....

Perhaps you would like to speak to the man that built the original car body?
    It's our very own John Watson of AD355 fame. He could most likely tell you anything you wanted to know about the cars, maybe...even what (or where ) happened to the original molds.

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER
    We have been teased for years with the promise of a Wraith Kit. If you reallly step back and study that car body it is a timeless classic. Never mind a full blown kit (chassis, interior, exterior) just produce the bodies and let the Wraith lovers customize the rest to the way they want it. May the Best Wraith Win....
    It's looking more and more like that's how it has to happen. There's just far too many options you can do with this car. We've already got a few spare bodies made. If you go to our site and look through some of the restoration photos, you'll see the copies.

And yes, people have been teased for years over this option. There have been far too many scammers and false leads. It's getting close(r) though.

Perhaps you would like to speak to the man that built the original car body?
    It's our very own John Watson of AD355 fame.
    John Watson? Did he work on "building" it? Because we're in contact with Bob Ackerman, who was the brain behind the whole project. He's been out a few times to discuss the car with us and gave us all kinds of behind the scenes work on the car.

I may have to ask him some questions. ???

JW has an extensive GM work history (I think he was one of the main Corvette guys at one time.) I went by his shop when looking at 355 parts and he had all the clippings and photos of projects he worked on, etc. The wraith car was one of them. As far as I understand it, John is "just" a body/fabrication guy, so he would not have been involved with motor, tranny, etc.

Gotcha. Ok, i misunderstood then. His name hadn't come up in other conversations we've had with Bob but there were probably quite a few people on the project over all. I'll look him up then.

Yeah, he's worked on a concept car body or two in his days at GM .

All I know is I want one!. ;D

I have a camaro 4th gen thats close enough.

For anyone interested in seeing the progress, there are two galleries on the site. The following link will show you the progress pretty much from the beginning, and you'll see a few bodies that we made just to test the waters. You'll also see the car with some of the original paint it had from the movie.

http://www.thewraithcar.com/
    Last edited by escaperoute; 09-10-2019 at 09:46 AM.