Page 2 of 32 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: F40 Slow but worth it.....BUILD

Re: F40 Slow but worth it.....

Plasticfantastic Sweet body where did you find it..I wish we had one here in USA so I wouldnt have to modify the one I have here...Oh I sent you a regular email...Later Lukester

Never ceases to amaze me watching these things start out basically from scratch. I wish I had the talent... However the more I look at mine, the more I can appreciate the quality of the work already done before I got my hands on it. Good work, and I am sure you will build a great car! Steve

Body is looking very nice! Is it going to be Fiero or Mr2 based?

G'day,

Thanks all for the positive comments and the warm welcome to the forum!

I'll try and answer all your questions as we go along, and i'll also try and fill you in with a few more pics and some more info on the project as we go (there was too much to fit in one post!)

As mentioned above yes im in the UK. This project from the begin has been designed for a tube chassis, which i have a few designs for, nothing final until i have a finished body and interior to play with which will hopefully be this year sometime.

We had an engine for it but it got sold when i left for OZ. We had a 4.2 Supercharged Jag V8 and it had only been dyno run! wish we still had it :'( but i sure it will be a similar choice to that next time. Smooth power that should be easy to get close to the originals output of 478bhp as the jag engine had 430bhp at the flywheel standard. Never quite decided on a gearbox as we are yet to get that far, it will probably be decided by budget but some form of Renaul/quaiff, hewland or porsche box im sure.

I'll sort through some more photo's for you all today.

Cheers

Keep em' coming!! ...going to go look for switches and side window trim in the next day or so, check on Michaels F40 build (F40LM) to see what I come up with.

Hi all,

Im slowly working my way through all the F40 builds on here, plus a few others.

Switches are something i have spoken to my father about as most other things can be found such as vents, lights but i have never found similar switches. So i think we are going to make an injection moulding tool to run off a number of blank switch fronts which could then be adapted onto other switch gear. Although i doubt we will find time for that untill later in the year!

I managed to get a couple more hours into the LM front today, now have most of it layed up and fitted an inner arch lip on one side....(sorry for the wide angle pics, hope they make sense?)

Also started to make some vents off my rear bumper to fit to the wing tops on the LM front, although still unsure if i will fit them, not all had them.

Hopefully sould be done laying it up tomorrow and will be able to pop it out of the mold on thursday!

Also starting to make plans to drag the body+rear plug out of storage and start working towards starting the molds, you have all re-ignited my enthusiasm for this long project!

I'll sort through my older pics and put a few up shortly.

Cheers

This project looks great. Well done.

What was the original body panel set from again? Built off a 308 base? Did I read that correctly? It looks a lot closer to original than a lot of F40 kits out there for the Fiero.

I have some incomplete plans for a chassis that fit the Fiero tub if you are interested. I got them as part of a frame I bought for one of my projects. I have since sold the frame but the plans set out the frame base, the front and rear suspension frames and that is about it. You could start with that and then build the cockpit frame off from those. The wheelbase is 98.5" and the track is stock Fiero. The frame was designed around C5 Corvette suspension.
    Anyway, if you are interested, here is the link to them. No cost, just sharing info.

Keep at it as it is looking great.

Cheers
    Don

http://www.madmechanics.com/general-...8-gto-project/
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi Don,

Cheers for the link, all information is good information, although i dont plan for this to be donor based.

It will be a custom tube chassis, with the body being a single piece that gets bonded onto the single interior tub and inturn all bonded around the chassis, hopefully resulting in a stiff frame. Luckily i have my suspension uprights ready, well except for machining. Cast units that use Porsche/Brembo brake units, meaning rears have a drum inside the disk for the handbrake. I'll get a picture of the unmachined unit up in a bit.

Cheers

G'day all,

Few more pics for you of how the front is progressing, popped the inner arch lip mold off the left side of the LM front today and cleaned up the join ready to be bonded over. Also had a little plat with the inner arch to see what the fit was like, then bonded in the inner arch lip on the right side.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by plasticfantastic
    Hi Don,

Cheers for the link, all information is good information, although i dont plan for this to be donor based.

It will be a custom tube chassis, with the body being a single piece that gets bonded onto the single interior tub and inturn all bonded around the chassis, hopefully resulting in a stiff frame. Luckily i have my suspension uprights ready, well except for machining. Cast units that use Porsche/Brembo brake units, meaning rears have a drum inside the disk for the handbrake. I'll get a picture of the unmachined unit up in a bit.

Cheers

Plastic,

GREAT work!!!!!

FYI
    If you have a look at the link that Don provided you will see that the chassis is a custom tube chassis that is similar in size to the Fiero. That wouls be a good starting point for you chassis.

http://www.madmechanics.com/general-...8-gto-project/