Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A semi custom AD355 Berlinetta build diary

A semi custom AD355 Berlinetta build diary

After taking a long hard look at my progress on the custom tube chassis with the corvette suspension and not being able to sell the kit even with several interesting people, I have decided to move back towards the "traditional" AD355 build and a new build diary. A small portion of my build will still be custom such as using the OEM style 355 quarters and a few other smaller items. I will be raising the lower section of the doors by 2" and adding in the modified OEM door scoops. I also plan on installing my 4.9 V8 engine to the factory 5-speed.

The first part of the build was to locate a donor car. As luck would have it, along came a 1987 Fiero GT in good shape. The prior owner claimed the engine ran great but he could not get it to start. The rear window has been removed for some reason.. but I do not need it anyway. All of the panels are still the original panels which means it was never wrecked and I don't think it was even repainted. This car is almost in to nice of shape to use as a donor.... almost... I even got a spare spoiler with the it. Once the parts are off the car they will be up for sale if anyone is interested.

Front

Side

other side

The photos are not all that great as they were taken with my cell phone....

Re: A semi custom AD355 Berlinetta build diary

First to post!

Don't put in a Caddillac 4.9! Go with a 3800S/C motor, you'll be glad you did.

Nothing much has happened so far....One of the forum members on here is going to buy the gt panels so I will have to be extra careful taking those off.

I did get it started. The battery is shot but after a long charge, the car started right up and actually ran somewhat good. It does sound like the exhaust manifold might be cracked??

I will have a bunch of parts to sell like the C5 corvette suspension, Audi/passat tranny etc and will create a new topic for those once i can get out there and take a few photos...

Small update:
    I have finally removed all the body panels. Unfortunitly, there was more rust/rot in the rear section then I originally thought. Most of the damage is in the rear section of the upper frame rails and the upper trunk panel just behind and below the upper rails. I will have to rebuild or replace those and a tiny spot in the front radiator support. Other then that it is on decent shape. It is a small setback but it is repairable.

Ahhhh another AD355 build thread, AWESOME!

HI all,

Thanx for tha insyte in that pm! An a free bump to!
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

How centered is the front passenger tire in the ad355 wheel well? I worked on installing the front end today and it seems like the passengers wheel well is further forward in the wheel well then the passengers side by 1/2 inch or so. I can't move the passengers fender forward anymore so i am not sure whats off. I even placed the passengers door on and the gap is where it is suppose to be.

Does anyone have a photo and a measurement from the edge of the wheel opening to the center of the rim on both sides of the wheel so i can verify my alignment in the wheel well

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrari Berlinetta
    Does anyone have a photo and a measurement from the edge of the wheel opening to the center of the rim on both sides of the wheel so i can verify my alignment in the wheel well
    Glenn, I kinda wish you would have kept this little gem to yourself. I would be better off not knowing... now its going to drive me crazy too.

The issue is that the passenger side wheel well is about 1 inch wider opening than the drivers side fender. The passenger opening is about 26 inches, while the drivers side is only 25. Most ohe extra space is taken off the door side of the fender. Between the door and wheel well opeining is only 3 inches on the passenger side, but is 3 1/2" on the driver side. It looks like there was an issue with the mold. At this point, I don't think I am going to fix mine.

You know how the saying goes... Misery loves company

Good catch on the differences between the drivers and passengers side. Many people have built ad355's and I don't recall anyone else mentioning this and it doesn't show in any of the photos I have seen so maybe it's not a big deal....