Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Zonda C12 inspired kitcar

My Zonda C12 inspired kitcar

Hi Everyone,
    Two years ago I decided to build myself a car from scratch. I have never done anything like this but i though heh, it can't be too difficult!
    I didn't want to build something normal, small or green as everone does that. I wanted to make something extreme, fast and exotic. I also wanted to do something that no one had done before.
    I bought an old Jag V12 off eBay for 90 UK pounds and had a problem, its was so big and heavy I couldn't move it.. So it lay on my garage floor and i had to build a car around it.
    I decided on a Zonda C12.. Why not
    The Pagani website gives all the information of track, wheel base etc.. so I used a load of lasers and plotted out the dimensions on the ground. For a donor car i bought a 1994 Ford Granada 2,8i Scorpio, it had disks all round, ABS good electrics etc..
    I stripped the Ford down and decided to use all the components, steering, driveshafts, ABS, brakes, cooling etc..
    For the gearbox I bought an Audi 012 transaxle from a diesel Audi 90, these are very cheap and easy to get hold of. I had to change the torque converter to an Audi flywheel, this meant machining it to fit the V12 crank, then I had to work out how to fit the starter I used a Jag XKR starter as it is small and very powerful, but I had to modify this by welding an Audi starter spigot to it so it engaged with the new flywheel.. I then had to make an adapter plate so the new gearbox married up to the V12, this was made from 20mm aluminum plate. I had to cut this out using a hacksaw, and i ached for days afterwards!
    So now I had all the components set out on the floor in the right places, and it looked right, it all sort of just fitted together, which was very strange. I estimated from pics of Zondas what the chassis would look like under the skin. I made a scale model out of wood, which looked about right and then bought loads of 51mm x 1.5mm steel tube, and set about welding.

After a few weeks I had the engine, transaxle and hubs mounted in the new chassis, the test came when i jacked the whole thing up, would it break?? No, it was so rigid it didn't flex at all.
    Once the chassis was made, I then fitted custom TVR suspension all round and had some 200 lb springs made to take the weight. I bought a chassis simulator software package and worked out what springs, camber, weight, rollbar etc..

The exhaust is a custom made system piping through 3" pipe to to Garrett T28 Nissan 200 Zx turbo chargers and then to a Ferrari Mondial exhaust that i modified so the tail pipes exited through the centre.
    The V12 had no electrics, ignition or fuel when i bought it, so i had to make the whole spark and squirt system. I decided to make that from scratch too. I went for a megasquirt, which I made from parts. The ignition is a wasted spark system running off 2 ford v6 coil packs and a 36-1 trigger wheel mounted on the crank pulley and a sensor., the fuel cells are 2 x 5 gallon dragster fuel cells and the fuel pump is a Bosch unit.

The intercoolers are from a Nissan 300 zx, windscreen from an XJS, wiper motor from a merc, electric powersteering from an Opel , the wheels are Lexus 19" x 10"the front tyres are the rears off an M5 and the rear tyres are from a 911 turbo. The turbos have their own radiator from a motor bike and the intercoolers and twin fans again, from a bike.

To make the body I covered the chassis with polystyrene and molded it to the right shape, I then plastered the body with house plaster and made a Zonda

I then bought loads of glass fibre and resin and started making the glass body.

The body did not work out too well, but the car goes like a rocket and oneday i will sort the shell out!

Here is a video of the years work...
    http://www.youtube.com/user/Nicktrum.../5/hHh-g__UsRk
    Regards
    Nick

Twin turbo V8 Zonda inspired thingy

Re: My Zonda C12 inspired kitcar

Very interesting project. I actually watched the other video of you driving it. The body is available here on the forum. A+ for the effort.
    Yellow Vetter Carrera Gt-boxter based
    White Vetter Murcielago-boxter based
    White Gagliardi Vendetta
    Gemballa avalanche 911

Team Mad Mechanics 2016

Senior Member ITALIANKNIGHTRIDER's Avatar

great work ,i will tune in to see the body finished off
    In the USA if you pay a company / person to start a plug, then it,s your plug and work ,it is not theirs to sell or trade !!

wow...thats alot from scratch, haha..way to stick with it..bet it'll turn out great

Thanks Guys
    I am in touch with prototype regarding the body. I guess the issues is how to and how much to ship it to the Middle East (where I am currently)
    There is a guy in Mexico who offered me a body too it seemed good and very cheap. I think that must have been a scam though

Nick
    Regards
    Nick

AWESOME BRO! you finally found us!. I've been watching your build over on Youtube for about a year now.

Quote Originally Posted by VF1Skullangel
    AWESOME BRO! you finally found us!. I've been watching your build over on Youtube for about a year now.
    Thanks I love this forum, I wish I had found it before when i was struggling with building the car! There was me thinking I was doing it all alone looking at the build diaries i see that lots of amateur builders face the same issues! I was left looking at Locost and caterham build sites
    Does anyone know anything of High End Car Bestbuy or SR Clones? they have done what looks like a nice Zonda roadster..
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLhVoTvVtzQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGU-6YoP3o8

But they seem vague on answering specific questions..
    Regards
    Nick

Here is a question that you experts might be able to help me with.
    I know that i am not able to make a body for the car that does justice to what i am trying to achieve. So my plans are having to change.
    The space frame chassis was designed to take my body shell, the screen frame was designed to take an XJS screen etc.. However, if i go for something like prototype's body (which i want to) i will have to start again.

For instance the V12 sits higher than an AMG V12, although I copied as near as possible the dimensions of the C12 off the Paganni website, my wheelbase is 107.5 inches the front track 71" and the rear track 76".
    I can modify the wheelbase give or take a few inches by moving the front wishbones, but the rear is fixed and the so is the track by the chassis.
    The engine has all its throttle linkages that sit at the end of the block raising the height of the rear slightly higher than the OEM car. The total length of my car is 162" although the distance from the engine firewall to the rear should be the same as the C12 at 6 foot.

So how do you tailor an existing bodyshell to fit an existing chassis, I would hate to buy it and find it won't fit

Your help would be appreciated!

Cheers Nick
    Regards
    Nick

Quote Originally Posted by nicktruman
    So how do you tailor an existing bodyshell to fit an existing chassis, I would hate to buy it and find it won't fit

Your help would be appreciated!

Cheers Nick
    It depends on how true you want to be to the original. You can always add a bulge or air scoop here and there. I don't think anyone will notice on a Zonda because they are so rare that nobody knows what the original looks like anyway. I think you are on the right track with Proto's body. I think I would still invest a plane ticket to see it in real life and also to organize the shipping and payments right on the spot. I am sure Prototype is good, but I just think cash and carry takes all the potential problems away.

Is that a flux-core welder you are using?

You are unbelievably resourceful and ambitious.

Hey nick, even prototype had to cut up his enzo body to make it fit an MR2, and you can hardly tell any difference. So even if you cut up his Zonda body to fit your chassis, I'm sure it will still look incredible. On the other hand, by the time you spend money on a plane ticket, kit cost, shipping, etc., you could probably hire a body man full time for a month to fix up, smooth out, and refibercoat your existing body. Either way, you have done an incredible job - thanks for the inspirations. blessings.