Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: My build

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5

    My build

    Hey guys,
    just wanted to say hi. Been following the builds on here for a number of years now and its about time I added mine.

    tube chassis with fiberglass body is the idea. Using a 4x8 cnc table to cut foam buck.
    Should have the body done over the winter as well as the headlights, tail lights, interior gauge cluster and other insturments/controls.
    I'm really looking forward to the guage cluster since I think it will be the most fun, there are a few diffrent parts,sections,and ideas which make it all work so it will be a good challenge to make everything come together.

    I havn't decided on an engine yet as I'd like to find something with a paddel shift... all of the high end racing gearboxes are a small fortune so I was tinkering with the idea of two bike engines with a paddle shift kit wired to the gearboxes. However from reading it seems the downside is there tends to be a lot of backlash in the bike engine rear diff/transfer units so that might not work.

    I'm not going to go into great detail on what i'm building but I hope to have some pictures up soon of the build progress and hopfully I can bounce some ideas/concerns off some of you guys.

    in the meantime I'll link a few pictures of the 3d model and pics.

    http://www.3d02.com/image.aspx?asset...=7&w=446&h=335
    http://cdn.automoblog.net/wp-content...gg_Agera-2.jpg
    http://www.luxuo.com/wp-content/uplo...gg-agera_1.jpg
    http://www.carshowp.com/wp-content/u...-Side-View.jpg

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    611

    Re: My build

    good luck , you are in the right track

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Posts
    23

    Re: My build

    Hi there I like your project very much. Were are you located? Even do I build the Bugatti Veyron replica the Koenigsegg is by far my favored supercar. Good luck and looking forward to see this project coming to life. Orlando M.

  4. #4
    Senior Member TwilightZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: My build

    paddle shift on a bike engine is as easy as it gets. all you need is a simple ignition interrupt by bazzaz,power commander, graves ect. take it one step further and get an air shift kit from a drag bike catalog and the sky's the limit . its not like on automatic cars. there would no time for the diff to have a lash issue. it happens in milliseconds.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re: My build

    Orlando, thanks for the kind words.. Your work is incredible! I'm located in Canada near Niagara Falls.

    Twilight Z, would you know if the air shift kit a better way to go vs. the electric shift kits?
    The lash I'm referring to is generated from the gearbox used to mate the two bike engines, I believe from my quick browsing on the twin bike engine powered cars topic I've found that the guys who used the zcars drivebox were disappointed with the backlash they were seeing in the axles.. I haven't fully investigated into this as I think its quite complex getting two bike engines mated to one differential and throw the reverse in there some how, but I hope to look into it further as I progress deeper into this project.

    I still feel that is the best way to go since a full racing dogbox with pneumatic shift + a 9000+ redline race built engine would cost upwards of 20 grand in itself.

  6. #6
    Senior Member VF1Skullangel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Phoenix AZ
    Posts
    1,622

    Re: My build

    This is going to be interesting to see one of these replicated.

  7. #7
    Senior Member TwilightZ's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,200

    Re: My build

    Quote Originally Posted by JUGGERNAUT
    Orlando, thanks for the kind words.. Your work is incredible! I'm located in Canada near Niagara Falls.

    Twilight Z, would you know if the air shift kit a better way to go vs. the electric shift kits?
    The lash I'm referring to is generated from the gearbox used to mate the two bike engines, I believe from my quick browsing on the twin bike engine powered cars topic I've found that the guys who used the zcars drivebox were disappointed with the backlash they were seeing in the axles.. I haven't fully investigated into this as I think its quite complex getting two bike engines mated to one differential and throw the reverse in there some how, but I hope to look into it further as I progress deeper into this project.

    I still feel that is the best way to go since a full racing dogbox with pneumatic shift + a 9000+ redline race built engine would cost upwards of 20 grand in itself.
    basically air shifting is making the paddles electric. otherwise the paddles would be mechanical. both would use and ignition interrupt to allow the shifts.

  8. #8

    Re: My build

    There are products on the market that turn common automatic transmissions into paddle shift transmissions. Do a google search for transmission control unit and paddle shift.

    The sound of an engine revving 9000+ is huge amongst some. The v6 engine found in cars like the Mazda Mx3, Ford Probe, and Miata can be tuned to rev above 9000rpm+ as well as use ITBs. Here's that v6 KL engine tuned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACd9YZlh5E

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    5

    Re: My build

    Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    basically air shifting is making the paddles electric. otherwise the paddles would be mechanical. both would use and ignition interrupt to allow the shifts.
    ah, I got it, thanks for clearing that up.


    Quote Originally Posted by SendEm
    There are products on the market that turn common automatic transmissions into paddle shift transmissions. Do a google search for transmission control unit and paddle shift.

    The sound of an engine revving 9000+ is huge amongst some. The v6 engine found in cars like the Mazda Mx3, Ford Probe, and Miata can be tuned to rev above 9000rpm+ as well as use ITBs. Here's that v6 KL engine tuned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACd9YZlh5E
    I agree, I remember seeing murci me's build way back when he did a paddel shift conversion. The issue I think with just doing it on a normal auto box is the gears are not stright cut gears, meaning shifts would take forever.. a dual clutch box setup would speed things up, but from driving the sst evo x, it shifts are still delayed and slow.

    Then you have the cost of building the auto box to hold any type of decent power reliably... I've herd most drag racing auto boxes are about $5 grand and up. Then you have to build a some what reliable mx3 v6 or whatever to withstand 9000+rpm.. defninetly not cheap.. I would est around 7-10 grand.

    I'd rather just run two stock 1200cc or 1400cc bike engines and have the very quick shifts and at the end of the day, if one blows apart, I can rest knowing a new one wont break the bank.. Now if your built engine or gearbox lets go, thats a big blow.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    MN
    Posts
    689

    Re: My build

    That sound is pretty killer. F1 sound to me. What are the costs, pros/cons to having a set up like that in a replica?


    Quote Originally Posted by SendEm
    There are products on the market that turn common automatic transmissions into paddle shift transmissions. Do a google search for transmission control unit and paddle shift.

    The sound of an engine revving 9000+ is huge amongst some. The v6 engine found in cars like the Mazda Mx3, Ford Probe, and Miata can be tuned to rev above 9000rpm+ as well as use ITBs. Here's that v6 KL engine tuned
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AACd9YZlh5E
    White Fugazzi Bentley Supersport Convertible GTC

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •