Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Billywhizz's 5cudo build

Billywhizz's 5cudo build

Well, I've finally taken the plunge after 23 years of drooling at kit cars. I've ordered the 5cudo. It's my first build so I'm expecting one or two issues but after discussing the project with Roland and Brian at DNA and from all the great things I've heard about their customer service I'm confident that this is the right kit for my first project. They've prepped the cougar for me for a small fee as this was one area I wasn't confident with.

Re: Billywhizz's 5cudo build

I couldn't resist sitting the kit on the back of the car tonight, trouble is I have to lift the rear while the missus and one of the kids grab the sills to guide it on. The back makes up most of the kit!
    Most of the cut-outs were already done for me so saved me some work, think I fell lucky with that one!

The kit sits on nicely, you can see how it follows the contours of the cougar at the door return, only thing is it seems to be sitting a bit too high, where the sill sweeps down under the door it fouls when I close it and the quarter window return doesn't match the cougar's. I may have to trim it a little where it meets the roof to allow it to drop...

The side windows are in, just lowered.

Here's one of the coilovers in the correct position, wish I'd taken more pictures but I was more interested in getting the things on, the bolts needed much persuasion with a ratchet and long extension bar, to the point where I sheared one right off!! First visit to the Ford dealership out of the way...and here you go.

You can see that the spare wheel well's been removed here and also how low the rear struts sit on the new shocks.

Battery moved to the rear

This has cost me a few days as I had to get an auto electrician out. The solenoid was clicking as I tried to turn the engine over, I had the starter motor changed first assuming it was faulty. Turns out that due to moving the battery the earth was not strong enough, he got it cranking but it's still hit and miss. Any ideas?

looking great

Remember paint that car blue when its all said and done.

Quote Originally Posted by billywhizzz
    Battery moved to the rear
    . . .

This has cost me a few days as I had to get an auto electrician out. The solenoid was clicking as I tried to turn the engine over, I had the starter motor changed first assuming it was faulty. Turns out that due to moving the battery the earth was not strong enough, he got it cranking but it's still hit and miss. Any ideas?
    Is that 2 gauge wire for the positive ?? (It Looks a little thin in the pic but I can't tell). If it is 2 gauge or less it should be fine,

To test things out... Take a set of jumper cables and clip one end of the negative / black wire directly to the starter nose or bolt and the other end directly to the negative terminal on the battery. On a few of my track cars, I had to run a "dedicated" negative cable right to the starter along with the positive cable.

Also, If you've been cranking on it before you got it sorted out, you may have partially shorted the starter solenoid and that could be causing your problem now. (even cranking with a dead battery can sometime really weaken the solenoid.).
    Previous Builds: AF - 308 Replica w/ V8 & GM F-body Testarossa Replica
    Current Toys: 308 V8 Project #2, 91 V-12 Jaguar XJ-S Coupe. 1983 Hurst\Olds, 1979 Trans/AM - 468CID Bracket Car.

Thank you very much for starting this build thread. I am very interested in the quality of this kit, the complexity of the build and how close it is to the real deal. I look forward to seeing how it comes together.

Sean

what kit did you buy? just panesl? what all is included? cost? cant find any info on dna website yet