Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BIG day with my Diablo Roadster

BIG day with my Diablo Roadster

Finally after 4 months of building on my Diablo Roadster I drove it today for the first time. Sadly I only drove it around the block twice due to some light rain that started to come down. But everything worked great! I didnt get in it real hard but the sbc felt pretty strong. Although the sbc power plant is only temporary I think it will be pretty good for awhile.

While it was out of the garage I snaped a few quick pics of it. Up to this point everything has been just a mocked up and not secured completly. The interior is just kinda sitting in there, the side fins are just taped in, windshield just laying in with some 3m tape, ect....

I did drive it and let it idle for about 20 minutes and the cooling system worked good, all gauges except my fuel gauge worked. The gas gauge needle just swepts all the way over to the other side past full, I only put 5 gallons of gas in it.... The power windows work great but with the molding on they hang up when rolled up near the top. Im going to have to do some cutting and fiberglass work on the body in that area to fix it but thats what the mock up is for. The only other problem Im experiencing is with the doors. I installed door poppers and wired them up to my alarm so when I push the unlock button the doors pop up. If I push the unlock button once the drivers side opens up if I hold it down for three seconds the passenger side opens up. I had to relocated the door lift to give the window some clearence and now it dont have enough lift to open it up on the drivers side. And the passenger side is real hard to close, I have messed with the latch till im blue in the face and still cant seem to get it to close good.

After I drove it today I pulled it back in the garage and tore it all back down. I had the interior out, the windows out, all the lights, and grills and radiators back out all in 2 hours. So now Im ready to start to get on the body work. Im planning to paint in 3 weeks....

Well anyway here is some pics- http://www.flickr.com/photos/31604886@N08/

Re: BIG day with my Diablo Roadster

Well done! Keep it up! It feels great to drive it for the 1st time. Looks like most of the hard work is done!!! Can't wait to see it painted. Mine is a 91 diablo replica coupe. All i have to do to mine is a few interior details, sand and paint....

Looking really good man

Really nice.

Wow, you did that in 4 months? Looking awesome.

Grant

Nice, that's a D&R body....you did some great work in such a short time. Those seats look great in there also. what brand and can you post a a full pic of the seats???

Incredible job!!! Please keep updating, I would love to see your progress and the final product!!

I also want to know about those seats, they look good in there

Good work, I cant wait to drive mine

Thanks for all the nice comments! I got the the seats off ebay-here was the listing- http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...=STRK:MEWNX:IT

I just checked under the sellers other listings and didnt see any just like them but some kinda the same only with colored inserts. I had to contact the seller to list these seats so I could purchase them. If your interested in these seats I would suggest to do the same, contact the seller and see if he has anymore of them. I have a really bad back (3 fusions already) so I needed some comfortable seats. I still have the raw DnR fiberglass seat hulls if anyone is interested in them.

These seats are really nice but I had to do some trim work on the Fiero floor and totally remove the sliders to get the low enough to fit good. Im either going to have to attach the seats directly to the floor or figure out something else. I also had to raise the latches for the removable roof up also to clear, but they were really low to begin with. Having the seats slide isnt a big deal to me but it maybe to others, so count on doing a little custom work if your using a Fiero donor.

Good JOB!! You will need to actually cut that d&r hood if you ever want it to sit right! I got that info from Robert at Exotic glass a long time ago. My d&r had the same issue, it just sat up a tiny bit on the pass side, no way to fix after the car was painted either, fix it now or live with it.

Again great job.