Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: My 1956 356A Porsche Speedster Replica 2.0 flat four (pic heavy)

My 1956 356A Porsche Speedster Replica 2.0 flat four (pic heavy)

First a bit of an introduction. I'm Gary, from (looks outside) sunny South Africa. Where due to our great weather I'm able to drive this pocket rocket pretty much all year round with the roof very rarely having to be put up. I've always been into aircooled rides, from beetles, busses, ghias and now finally a repop speedster.

The kit was made by a local firm, (KKC, then Venom kit Cars, then replicars and I think that they're about to change ownership again). They are pretty much the only guys to get these kits from in South Africa, so we're kind of buggered when it comes to choice. The main reason that I liked the shape was that dimensionally the replicas are 100% the same. With the same level on finish, only a true boff will be able to spot the diffrences. The car itself is built on a shortend beetle pan and a frame is attached on top of that to hold the body.

I was fortunate to buy this as a running/ titled vehicle with all the schelp paperwork already done. But the car was cheaply trimmed and was in all honesty a hack job. But the price was right. About $4000 changed hands and I ended up with a very larney 1962 beelte pan with a half dead beetle motor and a hacked up body, but hey....once again....the price was right. I was willing to pay way more, but the guy was getting married and well.............I kind of took advantage of that. Hey who wouldn't?

This was the day that I saw it.

A very basic list of what was wrong with it.

1) The colour while looking okay, was cracking all over
    2) The dash had been hacked to fit a generic set of gauges, looking nothing like the originals, plus a radio had been added.
    3) The Engine 1600 dual port beetle motor was on it's last legs.
    4) The wiring was somewhat totally dodgy
    5) The interior sucked
    6) There was no porsche trim, badges anywhere on the car
    7) I could do some off roading with this it was so high off the ground
    8) Tranny was grinding in gears
    9) brakes were totally shot
    10) the car was basically shot, BUT........once again.........it was cheap and titled.
    11) bumper was missing (later got a new one and a spare)

After doing the very basics to it, I got it to a stage where teardown could begin.

Also got some old VW notch gauges which would get the job done once cleaned up

I started with the net and found a few forums in the US that dealt with the replica and then started dealing with companies to get stuff shipped to SA.

First order was about $600 worth of scripts and badges/ decals which arrived a week or so later from klasse356. Pretty pricey for what is basically 7 badges. But still the devil is in the detail.

I managed to get a window on the spray job and my buddy and I proceeded to strip and gut her which took a whopping hour as there really isn't much to these things...lol. Total cost.............a little over $300 paint included.............certain things are damn cheap in this country...........labour being one of them if you shop around.

Back from paint

Front beam cut and a set of selector drops added that got the nose down about 4". The back now needs to follow suit. But that's a bit more complicated. It will involved a tranny and engine lift.

Now this is more or less where I'm sitting with the project as of today, the old interior was put back in so that I could work out some bugs and drive it.

A bit of info on the engine, we're going for a 2.0 flat four aircooled motor that will be fed by a set of 44 weber carbs that are going to be converted to EFI, we chopped off the tops of the stock EFI manifolds and made flanges and pipes so that the would be hidden below and all you'd see is carbs, meanwhile the injectors would do the work and the carbs would be used as ITB's. Final output on this car is about 120bhp....but when the fully laden car weighs 1500lbs, you just know it's going to fly. Ported heads, balanced crank, 278 cam, titanium valve springs, racing valves and a one off custom fan shroud to replicate an early 2.0 carerra 4 cam motor. It should turn heads when that engine lid is open as well.

A real 2.0 4 cam carrera getting the beans on the freeway. Mine goes and sounds almost exactly the same.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=moLNd...layer_embedded

My loaner motor that's in while my engine builder does my motor. 2.0 914 porsche with 44 webers........damn this thing moves and mine will be even more powerful.

The exhaust.................no silences or baffles.......damn it sounds like a rotary when revving it. But burbles nicely under idle....

Next plans are to make a bracket set up to lift the tranny and engine 2 inches to get the back down and then work on the interior.

Re: My 1956 356A Porsche Speedster Replica 2.0 flat four (pic heavy)

Man that car looks good, I have always liked them particularly the flared versions

Nice Porsche replica.. Looks like you are doing a great job of fixing her up and making a very authentic replica..

That sure is one elaborate looking exhaust system. Very cool

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver
    That sure is one elaborate looking exhaust system. Very cool
    The exhaust system is actually version one. We roughly based it on the 4 cam carrera sebring exhaust.

Version 2 will be a bit quieter......just a bit.

Nice 356, That is one crazy exhaust. Would like to see a picture of it on the car. Thanks for starting the thread, I have a 356C (Widebody) in the basement that I have had for over ten years and I have not touched it for over five years, maybe I will get motivated watching your thread.
    Have a great day
    Harry
    Florida

Currently doing an engine swap as I'm done with aircooled. We're putting a 2.0 VW upright 4 in there, EFI and about 130bhp/ 175nm

Disadvantages:
    1) Well it's no aircooled motor and popping the hood will not be as impressive as what was planned for it in the first place.
    2) There is a lot of work to get everything where it's supposed to go, I want the radiator in the back, fans, oil cooler and battery, ECU.

Advantages:
    1) I have a working 2.0 motor from a written off polo going in, that cost me $500 and it has less than 50 000km on the clock, with the adapter plate, stock management I'm still south of $1000
    2) The only person that I honestly trust to work on my type 4 was me engine builder, and the fact that it's a round trip of about 600kms, going watercooled puts at least 25 people within 20minutes from my house that can do anything serious to it.
    3) 125bhp and 172nm torque on a stock motor before doing anything to it.
    4) Fuel consumption of anywhere between 10 and 15km/litre. This obviously is down to gearing, which will mean a visit to a local transmission fundi.
    5) Cheap parts - A service kit can be had for a few hundred and the motor is simple enough for anyone to work on. Plus I can get the parts 5 minutes from my house.
    6) This is being built to drive, not to go to shows. As my life priorities have changed over the last few years, so is what I wanted out of the car. With married life, 2 kids, playing in a band and have more hobbies than a toy store owner, I want to be able to just wipe her down, climb in and then go for a looooong cruise without thinking if I forgot to set something or tinker on something else?
    7) The gearbox will have a cross member on top, which will allow me to lift her up an inch or so to get the rear down some more.
    8) Service kit on a type 4 would cost me a little over $300 and would pretty much have to be imported.
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    Last edited by flatfourfan; 12-20-2011 at 04:18 AM.

An update:

A lot has been going down. The engine conversion is almost done, just waiting on a few things and then we can make the final push.

Radiator cage mock and install. Using a Honda Civic dual core radiator that fits in the front nice and tight and gives great cooling.

Once the bumper is on, you won't see anything. There will be a small scoop up front, but you'll really have to get low to see it.

Running the waterpipes, front to back each one has around 20 bends in each. Very time consuming to get it all done right. But at least when you look at the side of the car, you don't see them.

Radiator cage going in with dry fibreglass panels all mounted up. Some minor welding to do on the cage before it can be properly bolted in place. I'm hoping to have this all killed by the weekend. Mounted in the nose will also be my fuel pumps and fuel filter that will be hidden, but easily accessible.

I've probably spent the most time on this project just on the nose of the car and everything that's going to be housed in it. The idea is to have a car that will internally and externally look identical to a real porsche speedster, just without the flat four motor. Many say why bother, but at the end of the day I want a car that is dead reliable and I can drive it anywhere and also that I can service easily and cost effectively.

Once it's all said and done, the radiator doesn't take up much space.

Plans for the interior are an OG spec dash set up with original porsche gauges (albeit from a 912 model). Visually identical accept the tach is slightly larger.

Luckily it doesn't take much to replicate an original porsche 356 dashboard.