Page 1 of 41 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: MitchMurcy2's BUILD Murcielago LP640

MitchMurcy2's BUILD Murcielago LP640

Just wanted to start and say hello to everyone here.

I've been checking out this forum and I really am impressed with the incredible amount of information here. Its great to see so many different builds and the amount of work that actually goes into making these cars look so good. Building your dream sure isn't for the lazy!

I am new at all this. I am a first time builder and I just wanted to post my progress here to really get your feedback. Tips, help, compliments, disagreements, etc. are of very welcome as I am sure I will get many different opinions during my progress.

I purchased and LP640 Roadster kit from CKI and am using a 91 MR2 as the chassis. I've only just begun work on the kit since late April 2011. At this point I have the vehicle stretched and I have the body mounted. Most of the support framing is completed and I also have the chassis in working order again since the stretch. I am currently working on the doors and hinges.

I didn't know this forum existed until a friend recently advised me of it. I am friends with another member here, "Mrcilgo". I've been posting my progress on his website, supercarreplica.com. if you want to check it out. This is my build thread here. I like to post plenty of pics but if you see something you need more closeup pics of.....just let me know. I'll try to help.

If anyone has any comments, questions, etc. please drop a line. I've been doing my build without help or guidelines since the start so any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks, and hello again, Mitch.
    Keep dreaming if you want to, I'm building mine!

Re: MitchMurcy2's Murcielago LP640 Build

Welcome to the forum Mitch, hope to see some progress pics soon bro

Welcome!!! I've been watching your build progress on Supercarreplicas.com it's coming along great....much faster than mine at the moment. I'm a first timer also. Good luck.

OK....so here are a few pics of the kit when I picked it up. This is a CAR KIT INC, Mercy 2 Roadster. Picked it up at their place in Alabama. Jackie Johnson was very friendly and helpful, and all of the parts that had been described to me were there and in good shape. The kit included the interior kit as well. He actually gave me several other pieces that I didn't order at no charge. Not all that impressive a set up......but for those guys wondering about this company......at least they are legit and were honest with me.

Here's the "raw" kit as it came.

wow looks like there quality is getting a little better. Yes and we do need more murci builds! keep em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by LP640
    wow looks like there quality is getting a little better. Yes and we do need more murci builds! keep em coming!

Well, the gel coat mold seams protruded all over the place.....made it look really bad at first glance. Then there was this putty on some of the seams and tight corners that was just a mess to clean up. It only took about an hour or so to cut down the protrusions and clean up the putty. There was nothing wrong underneath the putty so I am not at all sure what it was for. After some work......the body looked pretty good. The curves and lines look good. The panels are flat and need very little filler to finish. Really the worst of it is that the gel coat had some hollows on some of the sharper corners like on the front lip and around the lower intakes. Other than that....Not so bad as some of the things I had read about. Like I said.....Mr. Johnson was really a nice and helpful guy. Doesn't look like the guy has any hands on experience......but as a salesman....he was very professional and true to his word and much more.

I dont mind saying, I got the body kit, interior kit, hinges, shocks, light lenses (front and rear), headlight replica rings, and a few other things for $5000. I didn't really think that was all that bad for starters!

If there's anything I could say negative it will be........ Perhaps if CKI would spend an hour or so to clean up the kit after it's pulled from the mold, before selling it. It sure would look a bit more pleasing to the eye when you see it for the first time. But for the price.........

I'll be posting more pics soon,
    Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by MDMurcy2
    Quote Originally Posted by LP640

Well, the gel coat mold seams protruded all over the place.....made it look really bad at first glance. Then there was this putty on some of the seams and tight corners that was just a mess to clean up. It only took about an hour or so to cut down the protrusions and clean up the putty. There was nothing wrong underneath the putty so I am not at all sure what it was for. After some work......the body looked pretty good. The curves and lines look good. The panels are flat and need very little filler to finish. Really the worst of it is that the gel coat had some hollows on some of the sharper corners like on the front lip and around the lower intakes. Other than that....Not so bad as some of the things I had read about. Like I said.....Mr. Johnson was really a nice and helpful guy. Doesn't look like the guy has any hands on experience......but as a salesman....he was very professional and true to his word and much more.

I dont mind saying, I got the body kit, interior kit, hinges, shocks, light lenses (front and rear), headlight replica rings, and a few other things for $5000. I didn't really think that was all that bad for starters!

If there's anything I could say negative it will be........ Perhaps if CKI would spend an hour or so to clean up the kit after it's pulled from the mold, before selling it. It sure would look a bit more pleasing to the eye when you see it for the first time. But for the price.........

I'll be posting more pics soon,
    Thanks everyone.

yea that weird putty came on my car also, must be for a reason.. anyways not bad all that stuff for 5k, many people have spend more, but get less. please post the pictures of your interior parts id like to see if theres any improvements.

the putty is applied to the negative mold before the piece is cast to fill in any voids in the mold, so they aren't reflected in the casted piece.

Quote Originally Posted by Murci-Mike
    the putty is applied to the negative mold before the piece is cast to fill in any voids in the mold, so they aren't reflected in the casted piece.

Well that makes sense! Thanks Murci-Mike.

Here's a few more pics of the 91 MR2 dismantled and just about ready to stretch. Took about 7 hours to get it stripped, interior gutted out, and the preliminary cutting done.

Oh.....and I didn't forget about you, LP640.......I'll get the interior pieces pics in here soon. Was looking through my albums and realized I never actually took any pics of the interior parts. I'll set that up soon and get it posted.

Thanks.

It took a bit more cutting to some parts to get the body to fit correctly over the chassis.....but this was a start.

<>
    Last edited by MDMurcy2; 05-05-2012 at 03:20 PM.