Page 1 of 21 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: 1968 Davrian Mk3, Rebuild

1968 Davrian Mk3, Rebuild

Hi all,

I thought it would be a good idea to start a build thread for my Davrian as its probably going to consume many of my hours for the next few years, as those of you out there that like the classic stuff may be interested.

I had wanted a Davrian for around 10 years and one never turned up at the right time, they dont turn up often as there was only around 300 produced in total across all the model range, Mk1 thru Mk8 (1965-1983). This is probably one of around 10 Mk3's left.

Davrians are a complete GRP monocoque, the only steel in it is the roll cage. It uses Hillman Imp running gear including all suspension, brakes, steering etc.. All in all a very light package that usually comes in at less than 600ks for a road car and race cars have been known to go down to around 420kgs.

Around a year ago a hear of a Davrian that was for sale locally, so i jumped straight in the car needing to hear nothing else! The car in question was stripped in the mid 80's and has been sat in a loft until it was decided it was in the way, when i pulled up in the car this is what i found.....

A deal was done and a few weeks later i went back and collected her....

Even though it had been totally dry in the loft, the cage had condensated inside resulting in this.....

I think a new cage may be needed! She then went into storage for about a year until i could make enough space for her in the workshop. A few months ago that finally happened......

There is a long road ahead involving remaking pretty much all bodywork. The final plan for the car is for it to be a road car, but as it has a race history i plan to keep it in that style. The front of the car is standard Mk3 but at some stage in it's life the rear has been adapted to a later style, because its wider and as a race car it probably had 8 or 10 inch wide rear wheels. I plan to run 13x10 inch rears and 13x8 inch fronts.

So far i have done a quick bit of cutting and shutting to see how i want the body to finally look. Main changes are to the wheels arches as i wasn't happy with the shape of the lips. Heres how the mods went....

Pretty happy with the front arch, this is only temporary, until i get all the running gear and wheels on then i can line them up properly.

The rear wheel arch will be filled so it is less of a bubble arch and more of a rolled lip. The i decided to see how a vent similar to the 250gto would look....

This bring us upto today, this morning i decided to try some mod sport style corner spoilers and some very over the top front dive plaines, not sure if they will be for road use though?!..

As always comments good or bad welcome

Cheers

Re: 1968 Davrian Mk3, Rebuild

They are a great looking little car... personally prefer it without the spoilers and canards...kind of a classic smooth little underdog...the arches look nice though..

What a great project! It's obviously in good hands. Good luck with it. I'll definitely be watching your build. Awesome little cars!
    Keep dreaming if you want to, I'm building mine!

Cheers for the comments!

The spoilers wont be attatched full time, they will only be fitted for track use! ;D

Plastic very cool I love it. It reminds me of a TVR Griffith. I always wanted one...I cant wait to see the finished car..Later Lukester

Hi all,

Today i decided to try and get the light arrangement sorted on the front and back. For the rear i plan to use simple Lucas glass light units, 2 amber, 2 red and 2 clear. For the front im using a 7inch sealed beam headlight and Lucas bullet glass indicators. Im also trying out an exta vent on the front and also trying to decide it it need spots or fogs?!.......

Pretty close, not quite happy with the indicator....

Comments always appreciated

Cheers

I would use the new holes for brake ducts if you are doing any track work....dont need no stinking fog lights

Hi all,

Oops i let this thread fall back quite a bit. Havent made huge progress with the car but im still playing with the body work, just deciding how i want things to finally look. I'll mainly let the pics do the talking for this but main changes are im playing with a bubble bonnet, this has given me alot more room for the radiator and made dicting air through it alot easier. The original flat bonnet is prone to sagging, but i'll probably make one so i can put the car back to original if i want to. I've also puts some vent in the nose similar to the 20gto again,i like them and think they will be staying! A few months back my father and i bought a 1976 Image ff2b single seater, luckily this came with the exact wheels i wanted for the davrian so i can use them for fit up. Theyre 4 spoke revolutions, 13 inch x 10 in rears and 13 inch x 8 inch fronts, they really do make this little car look very planted.

4 at a time again?!...................

Last edited by plasticfantastic; 12-14-2011 at 04:58 PM.

Last edited by plasticfantastic; 12-14-2011 at 05:02 PM.