Thread: MR2KITS.co.uk GTF Liverpool?

MR2KITS.co.uk GTF Liverpool?

Hi, I am a newbie to the kit car world hence this being my first post. I am planning to embark on building one of mr2kits' GTF kit. I am looking around for a donor car at the moment if anyone has any advice on what to look for in a good donor e.g. Good engine, low mileage etc... Please let me know. I have looked into kits from DNA, Extreme BAD etc... I did like the look of extremes kits as I would rather use a 406 kit car (reason being they say the MR2's wheel base is a whole 9 inches too short and the 406 being only 0.5 on an inch short and the windscreen angle being closer to the original F430). However, I'm on a budget so DNA, Extreme kits are going to be too expensive.As I say I am new to the kit car world and this will be my first build. Planning on renting out a small garage for a couple of months for the build and I am also planning on cutting the costs by building and spraying the car myself. I just wanted to ask what the pros/cons on using the GTF kit (If any) and if anyone has completed one of these kits in the past how did you find it, any advice for a beginner? Better still if anyone lives near the Liverpool area that has built a replica F430/360 and could let me have a look at their build that would be great. I am planning on buying everything I need from MR2KITS.co.uk full kit, lights, exhaust, interior etc... Hopefully they may offer me a discount on buying in bulk. I am putting away 10K for the whole build inc donor car. Do you think this is enough? If anyone has any advice to steer me in the right direction please let me know. Thanks, James

Go to the up and coming shows, there's a Mr2kits build on the forum, have a search around for it. David Jones molds were of good quality but the reason they are not as popular as say extreme and dna is the slightly squashed look of them.
    The build time depends on your owm skills and determination, as a one man band with limited resources you should bare in mind it's finished when it's finished and don't look to have a complete date, you won't meet it!
    Start with a GOOD donor as this will make life easier in the long run, don't buy a cat 'd' as it will stay with the vehicle and resale value will be substantially reduced.
    Enjoy the build there's always help on the forum.
    D

Quote Originally Posted by Dangerrous View Post
    Go to the up and coming shows, there's a Mr2kits build on the forum, have a search around for it. David Jones molds were of good quality but the reason they are not as popular as say extreme and dna is the slightly squashed look of them.
    The build time depends on your owm skills and determination, as a one man band with limited resources you should bare in mind it's finished when it's finished and don't look to have a complete date, you won't meet it!
    Start with a GOOD donor as this will make life easier in the long run, don't buy a cat 'd' as it will stay with the vehicle and resale value will be substantially reduced.
    Enjoy the build there's always help on the forum.
    D
    Dangerous that's some found advice.I'm not too sure how the mr2kits fit together but what I've heard is there nothing like the quality of DNA.so if the guys gonna try and fit and prep and paint all by himself then he will need a lot longer than a few months.a good diy build like our friend beany would take about 3 months or so but the bodywork isn't as simple as people think.there's a lot of prep work to make a nice finish.the last thing you need is a 30 grand motor looking like it's been done in aerosols.a good bodyshop with agood number of workers can do it in about 3-4 weeks.I think 10,000 isn't really enough money to get donar and kit and all the paint etc,Good luck and as d says get to the shows

James, for advise you have joined the right forum, many people have there own opinion on manufacturer and convertible or hardtop etc. each company has built cars to there style and all kits have subtle changes to an original design, these really depend on the car you build around and the ease of the build. We have a good reputation in the industry and offer a comprehensive kit which requires no structural changes to there car. As for build time i can show you can car which has been made to high very high standard by an experienced builder in 8 weeks without interior. look him up at cvkits.co.uk his name is Enzo and there is a build gallery there. We are always available to call and e-mail we offer a full build manual and lots of advise as you go. If you have never done something like this maybe keep the garage for about 3 - 4 months any more info jsut ask. Terry