Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scratch built F 40

Scratch built F 40

I started another thread a few weeks back seeing if anybody wanted to team up on building this car. All the replica's of this body I have seen just don't cut the mustard for me, on top of that I wanted it to look AND perform as original. Based on a fiero frame isn't going to cut that, nor does it ever look good IMO.

With that said a couple guys here helped me find some chassis information. I have taken that information and converted it into a 2d cad file so far, with overlays of the side and top view of the body. My thinking is if I can't find correct size pieces of body for a reasonable price the frame itself will make a nice platform to start the buck.

As I mentioned building the chassis from scratch does not bother me at all. I have the tools, skills, etc. Just a matter of making sure its the right size which I think I am getting close here.

Question you guys can help me with though. Ferrari used oval tubing, anybody know what size oval and exactly which pieces in the F40 chassis was oval? Not sure I plan to use oval yet, but its a very open option still.

If anybody has leads on reasonable priced body panels that ARE accurate to original I would be very interested also.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

I would suggest finding some 308 doors with window frames as well as 308 windshield. There was a company around in california that had a lot of race parts for the 308, such as roof skin and lexan windows.... there was a 308 frame for sell locally i wish i would have snatched it up because overall it looked similar except the motor mount area. I noticed oval tubing on it.

Whatever happened to Ferdinand's F40 Spider build: http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/ge...your-kits.html

TVR

You can also do a 3d scan of the original and use a cnc to cut the body parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlu View Post
    You can also do a 3d scan of the original and use a cnc to cut the body parts.
    And where can be found an exact 3D scan of F40?I only know the 3D model of FM3 but only have the exterior scan.

Regards

3d file

Hi

Have a look.Might just be able to cut it and make a jig any comments would be good.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

A real 308 or even a 328 wouldn't be a bad choice as a donor car for the F-40.

Years ago there was a company taking old 308s and converting them into F40s. They were in Phoenix and they were exact replicas being made when the F-40s were still new.
    I saw one in person and it looked perfect to me driving around the industrial center I worked at. Sorry I don't remember the name of the company...

Satinta, and could you contact with this person? Or any that have this replica?

Regards

On my side of the pond it is a scarce item even a real F40 ( South Africa).