Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Budget Build My Velo Rossa

Budget Build My Velo Rossa

Hi All!!

I'm new to the Mad Mechanics forum. I have no training or expertise in the automotive industry. I'm purely a kit car/custom car hobbyist... a simple novice. As I approached retirement age, and our two sons went off to college, I decided it was time to fulfill that life long dream of building a unique custom car that I could call my own. I had worked with my boys on their first cars... a 1967 Mercury Cougar and a 1970 Pontiac LeMans. Most of this work entailed making necessary repairs and a few upgrades. I did manage to complete an engine swap in the late '90s. I installed a Buick 3800 V6 into my Triumph TR7. That experience and the work on my boys cars fanned the flames of my desire to build an entire car. I had been searching the web for years, contemplating which kit to buy. The first obvious choice was the Cobra. I researched and researched all the manufacturers I could find and two things became very clear to me. As much as I love the classic shape and modern performance available in the replicas, there are just too many of them out there to make me feel that mine was truly unique, and every kit had an initial cost well out of my budget. I found this last point to be true about most of the kits on the market.

When I came across the Velo Rossa website, I was struck firstly by beautiful lines of the car and secondly by the price of the body kit. I could buy a cheap donor car, work on its mechanics a little at a time, and save for the body kit to be be purchased down the line.

So, about 5 years ago I embarked on this build with the purchase of my 1974 Datsun 260Z donor. I purchased a none running car for $350 with the full intention of replacing the inline 6 with a V8. So I spent the better part of a year disassembling the donor and replacing the rusted floor pans. This is where I learned (by trial and error) the basics of welding.

Name:  comp1.jpg
Views: 2564
Size:  91.4 KB

With the top removed and the Z resting back on its suspension, it was time to purchase the body kit. I picked it up at the Knotts show and brought it home in the back of my pickup. I immediately started test fitting...
    Name:  arrival.jpg
Views: 2677
Size:  90.2 KB

... and photoshopping a concept.
    Name:  Vaca VR Concept.jpg
Views: 2921
Size:  77.4 KB
    .................................................. ......to be continued.

Very nice start. Welcome to the world of kit car builds.

Good luck and keep the updates coming.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Great choice! The GTO styling reaches out and grabs just about everyone!!! I too love this conversion. (I like the coupe better, but covertible is just cool)! I look forward to seeing your journey unfold! This kit is one I've thought of doing as well sometime in the future. The V8 conversion will make it that much more fun!!! Welcome

Nice !! Where in nor cal are you? I'm in the sf area
    We have similar names too

You have to look up Chelles build, she did an AMAZING job on her GTO.

Welcome to the club

Fantastic start of the build. Just a quick note, those cars do not have a lot of strength on the tonnou even if you replace it the floor pans. With the V8 in it you will fold that car into a tacko

Love the car!! You chose a great project. Have to agree completely with Chimaera though, unless you put significant strengthening rails running the length of the car between the wheel arches, and tied them together in the middle with tubing (think of a ladder laying under your car) your gonna be in for real trouble; hence, the "car taco". Convertibles have been known to literally fold in half just going down rough roads after years of corrosion. I had a '67 Mustang convertible and had to replace the frame stiffeners in '94. Ford had a 4" x 3" metal rail made out of 1/8" steel that looked like square tubing flattened on one side. This thing was HEAVY. They ran one of these down each side and then tied them together with a pair of sub floor pans under the car (looked like upside down seat risers) that were then bolted to each other in the middle (under the drive shaft) with a 1/4" thick metal plate. They also ran a 1/8" thick "belt" over the transmission hump between the front seat risers (over the same spot the plate covered from underneath). This was "good enough" to keep the car in one piece for a few decades. So unless you want a car to just look at in the garage, I would beef the frame up similarly to what Ford did. And the car STILL would "flex" under spirited driving.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

As followup to my first post that I should have elaborated bit more but work kinda got in the way.
    the 240/260 and even the 280 where especially bad for weak chassis. All professional racers that raced them used to put major reinforcement into those cars.
    In my first 240 I had put 2x3 rails from front to back, tied it to front and rear rails as much as possible and welded it along the floor pan, I never did do any real work to the engine and it was mostly stock, under turns and heavier driving I seen doors moving and the entire car twisting.
    Learned from that experiance and experiances from veteran 240 racers and 240 enthusiast. My current wanting to get "more thrill" I dropped in a common LS1 transplant and pushed the engine to just over 400hp. This time I skipped on the floor pan rails, but I did put a full roll cage that is tied to front and rear shock towers plus couple other stratigic points in the chassis. reason I did it this way was because I wanted to lower stance of the car. So far the car is really stiff and I do not feel any door movement in the jams.
    Not sure how you can strenghten yours with roof cut.

Never the less I'm sorry if I stole thunder from your build as it is fantastic. I hope you can show us more progress of it.
    Last edited by chimaera; 03-15-2012 at 08:47 PM.

​​Wow!!! Thanks for the warm reception!!! Didn't expect so many replies.

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    Nice !! Where in nor cal are you? I'm in the sf area
    We have similar names too
    Great minds think alike, eh? I'm in Vacaville... very close.

Quote Originally Posted by AdrianBurton View Post
    You have to look up Chelles build, she did an AMAZING job on her GTO.
    Welcome to the club
    I've seen her car on HybridZ. You're right... it's gorgeous!

As far as the taco syndrome is concern, I welded in reenforcement along the inner door sills, between the fender wells and then up to, and between the shock towers. This is the minimum recommended by the VR build manual. I've had to remove some of it temporarily while I'm locating a roll bar. It's going back in with some additional under carriage support once I get it all sorted out.

A couple of pics of the VR's current status. (waiting for tires)
    Name:  P3040686.jpg
Views: 2459
Size:  70.4 KBName:  P3040692.jpg
Views: 2417
Size:  71.4 KBName:  P2080645.jpg
Views: 2451
Size:  89.5 KB

My plan is to depict the last five years of this build in a series of posts to this thread. Rather than show the chronology of the entire car, I'll try to show the repair of some of the mechanical systems and the progress of some of body mods. And of course to document future progress. I take lots of pics.
    I do not intend to build a show car or a race winner. I just want a car I can cruise in and be proud to say I built.

"I just want a car I can cruise in and be proud to say I built."

You can say you've already accomplished the second part, now let's get cracking on that cruising part! LOL!
    Car looks great! I've always wanted one of those but could never find the Z car at a good price to justify building one.