Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Munkys Exoskeleton Replica Build Thread

Munkys Exoskeleton Replica Build Thread

Hello all! Well it's been a while...
    The house build still isn't finished (though we have an occupancy permit) I've sold the DNA and had a few other kits in the meantime.

Thought I would share a new build with you that I'm about to undertake.
    I'm looking to build one of these...

To complement my much slower current stable of 356A coupe rep (built by JPS the kit maker), a Porsche 912 '66 not being built very quickly by me and my daily driver.

Now this probably doesn't make sense to those in the UK where Atoms can be picked up pretty cheap but here in the US, not only are they mega $$$ but also a kit is easier to register in the states than the real thing!

Go figure!!!

I'm looking at building it with a Honda K20A type R - like the real thing, then adding a supercharger at some time in the future when I've tamed what I've got!

This build is going to be parts sourced by me and part built by another race car fabrication company for me. I'm a bit too busy with work these days and would like to drive it while I'm still young enough to get in it! (This is a real worry with my 912 - only got the backend to weld now...)
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 01-21-2015 at 06:44 AM.

This is the kit suppliers website...
    Altra Imports
    Though the owner makes some serious cars of his own design as well...
    http://www.palatov.com/about.html
    Check out some of those wild puppies!!!!
    I guess you could say, he knows his cars inside and out!

Anyway, deposit paid on a kit and balance wired.

I've been promised some pics of the kit assembly next which should start this week.
    Last edited by MunkyKing; 07-08-2014 at 01:45 PM.

I drove something similar a few years ago (for a fee) Is was an unforgettable experience . Good work

Thanks Beny. I've not driven one so I'm taking your and a certain Jeremy Clarksons word for it that it should be fun!

And they are off!

Crate cracked open

The 'stripper' getting to work.

Not sure the wife would approve of me paying a stripper, but I think the frame is looking good!

This will be an interesting project. Keep us up to date please.
    Last edited by aflo; 07-10-2014 at 02:16 PM.

Hi. I build a bit of a replica a wile ago, i changed the bodypanels up a bit because i heard ariel was a bit pissy with the locost guys, making them take all there builds of the net.
    I can say the atom is the best fun you can have without a stripper being involved;-)
    i had a 2litre vw motor in mine with only 100kw of power, i just about never used first gear, & very seldom got to 5th as it always seems to run out of road.
    The lotus 7 with a 20v toyota that i built had nothing on the handeling of the atom lookalike.
    Have fun.
    Cheers Jose
    Attachment 27724

Very cool Munky! Will be a rocket! Is the builder local? I'm tempted for another car as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JoseOSI View Post
    Hi. I build a bit of a replica a wile ago, i changed the bodypanels up a bit because i heard ariel was a bit pissy with the locost guys, making them take all there builds of the net.
    I can say the atom is the best fun you can have without a stripper being involved;-)
    i had a 2litre vw motor in mine with only 100kw of power, i just about never used first gear, & very seldom got to 5th as it always seems to run out of road.
    The lotus 7 with a 20v toyota that i built had nothing on the handeling of the atom lookalike.
    Have fun.
    Cheers Jose
    Attachment 27724
    Wow - that looks crazy good! I'm impressed. Mine is no-where near as creative as yours!

Aflo - shall do thanks for the comment!

Funexec - it's no one local. It's a company out of Portland. It's been a rough couple of days here on the lake. You're lucky your place is high off the lake as well!