Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Testarossa replica build

Got to get some tires, ones that are closer to the original and where the front tire matches the back better. Eventually I would like to get some custom wheels but these will work for now

Wheels and tires on for test fit, the fender openings have been cut out to more correct dimensions. I will have to fiberglass in a new fender lip.
    With the car back on the ground its looking closer but the front is sitting pretty high.

Now I need to adjust the front ride height, I pulled the coil springs and cut them 1.5 coils. The height looks better after doing this. I left a little room in case I want to go to a larger diameter wheel later on.

here is a look at where the fender started and now the rough cutting is complete.

Did you need that extra room so the tire can turn without rubbing?
    Or just for appearance ?

The extra room was needed, the fender well shape was totally miss shaped. The tire that had been on the car was a 195/50/15. this size tire is really short and it still rubbed when turned. I wanted a more correct look as well and the ability to run a taller tire. doing this also made the fender the right width at the bottom in front of the door. I will be making split rockers so this is a critical area.

Wheel openings look way better!!

TR hood grille

Hey there guys, its been a little while since I updated pics. I have gotten a lot done but i also have a bunch of home projects going as well. heres what I did for a hood grille. When I got the Testarossa it had ABS plastic cut to shape and screwed in. It looked great from like a hundred feet.... i was roaming the salvage and I came across a 2001 bmw 740il. I looked at the hood, it had a grille and although way to big it had nice lines, Not vertical like the TR but horizontal. Not completely accurate but a grille has to be better then the plastic. I took it home and the curve matched so I marked it to my hood opening and cut it out. It also has 3 supports in the grille that make perfect mounting brackets.

Last edited by bodyman; 07-06-2015 at 05:09 PM.

Testarossa quarter panels

the next thing I id was deal with the miss shaped rear quarter panels. Once again they looked good from a distance but they were curved in instead of curving out. I am going to put split rockers on it so the shape was all wrong. I cut out the rear radiator opening and it allowed me to align it correctly. I then put polyurethane foam sheet down, shaped it and fiber glassed it.

Testarossa quarter panels

again, the work continues. The Polyurethane sheets are from home depot. It needed it for sure. Now the quarters have the correct curve to them. I used ABS sheet heated and bent to shape to put on the cut part, it is just to hold the shape while I fiberglass.

heres the quarter panels with fiberglass on them. The bodywork will continue over the wheel arch to blend in the body lines.