Page 20 of 22 FirstFirst ... 101819202122 LastLast

Thread: 1962 Ferrari 250 GTO scratch build

Quote Originally Posted by chelle View Post
    Beautiful work Joel.. I haven't posted here in around 9 years, but am so glad I peeked in here and see your project is still active! I was following your car on Last Chance Garage articles.. and now I've spent 6 hours today reading your posts and studying your pics.. I built my GTO I think around 2002 .. I think.. The projects have blended together in my head over the years. My first one was powered by a dry sump, race prepped V12 .. like most, it has evolved over the years. I'm building a second one now with Corvette suspension.

Your metal work is wonderful and is giving me so many new ideas.
    Is there a build thread for your current GTO project? I'd like to see it and how you tackle some of the challenges.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be scared of being bold!

Quote Originally Posted by C5GTO View Post
    Mike and Don: Thanks for following and providing your input on this project. At times, it's hard to tell if there's much interest in a homebuilt project like this car on this kit car oriented forum. It's good to know there's people who find it interesting.
    Joel, you are one of the reasons that makes this forum useful & interesting to follow...
    Keep up your excellent work.....
    (Kinda expecting to see that amazing wrinkled Ferrari red cover).Looks beautiful anyway.

Is there a build thread for your current GTO project? I'd like to see it and how you tackle some of the challenges.
    Hi again!
    I'll have to start one.. Someone else in this thread, Peter from OZ, has a wonderful GTO.. He increased the height of the rockers and made more appropriately sized doors as well.
    My albums are here.. while they haven't been updated in a while, you can see some of what we're doing https://michellel29.imgur.com/

The "red GTO" album is here: https://imgur.com/a/GgJqV

White one is here (it's the one now getting a C5 suspension): https://imgur.com/a/jJBSD

Post Making rear GTO window

Well the C5 GTO is finally off to the paint shop so I may not be able to provide another progress update for a while. I did want to give an update on one of the last things I did prior to sending the car off. I made a mold, had a rear window made and trimmed it to the opening.

The original GTO had a plastic rear window that Im told was Lexan (polycarbonate). I decided to use Plexiglas on this car instead because it will last longer (at least double the life Im told) and wont scratch as easy as Lexan. Lexan is a lot more crack resistant than Plexiglas but I didnt need that given this window will be held in with a rubber gasket around its perimeter and will have no holes in it. The window opening is 27 by 45 and is a compound curve. I dont have the skills or an oven large enough to thermal form this window so I made the mold and had a plastics shop make the window for me.

Heres how I went about making the mold. I started with the fiberglass piece Id cut out from the body. To support that, I made a wooden frame.

With the fiberglass piece held to the frame with clamps, it was then flipped over and glued to the frame with some fiberglass matte and resin.

A 3 border was needed around the edge in order to keep the softened Plexiglas from drooping during the thermal forming process. I bent and curved some aluminum scraps to form the border. These were attached to the frame with drywall screws. I then sanded and polished the fiberglass mold to remove all imperfections that might transfer to the Plexiglas.

I took the mold to a plastics business, wrote a big check, and they made me a window. The window they returned to me was the perfect shape but oversized for the opening. It was covered with adhesive backed masking paper as to minimize scratching during trimming and installation.

I did the trimming in two stages. The first round of trimming was to get the Plexiglas to fit the opening with very little gap.

I then marked it for the final cut and trimmed it to get an even 5/16 gap all the way around the edge. I did a test fit with chunks of window gasket material to make sure it will fit.

I guess you can see why I wanted to get this window to final form prior to paint. Id have been real nervous doing all this work over a brand new coat of paint.
    Joel Heinke

Beautiful work, as usual Joel!!

What color are you going with the car?

Very impressive work.
    The car looks great.

Beautiful work, as usual Joel!!

What color are you going with the car?
    Rosso Cina (AKA Ferrari red)
    Joel Heinke

Rosso Cina (AKA Ferrari red)
    Rosso Cina wasn't on the GTOs, it did show up on Ferrari 330.. it's a deeper red than Rosso Corsa which most of the GTOs were painted. Rosso Corsa was the color dictated by the racing body. From the Wiki:
    Rosso corsa is the red international motor racing colour of cars entered by teams from Italy.

Since the 1920s Italian race cars of Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lancia, and later Ferrari and Abarth have been painted in rosso corsa ("racing red"). This was the customary national racing colour of Italy as recommended between the world wars by the organisations that later became the FIA. In that scheme of international auto racing colours French cars were blue (Bleu de France), British cars were green (British racing green), etc.

Here's the original colors of the original GTOs
    http://www.ferrarilife.com/registry/browse/250-gto/

Rosso Cina wasn't on the GTOs, it did show up on Ferrari 330.. it's a deeper red than Rosso Corsa which most of the GTOs were painted. Rosso Corsa was the color dictated by the racing body. From the Wiki:
    Rosso corsa is the red international motor racing colour of cars entered by teams from Italy.

Since the 1920s Italian race cars of Alfa Romeo, Maserati, Lancia, and later Ferrari and Abarth have been painted in rosso corsa ("racing red"). This was the customary national racing colour of Italy as recommended between the world wars by the organisations that later became the FIA. In that scheme of international auto racing colours French cars were blue (Bleu de France), British cars were green (British racing green), etc.

Here's the original colors of the original GTOs
    Thanks for info. The mapping between color names and color codes is tenuous at best. This is especially true for 50+ year old cars given the passage of time and paint supply companies that have been acquired and integrated into the corp behemoths. I'm having the car painted by a guy who specializes in vintage exotics and he already pointed out to me that there's more than one shade of red that was used on older Ferraris. I've requested the "brighter" shade versus te "deeper" shade and he knows the mapping to the modern paint codes. So is it Rosso Corsa or Rosso Cina? I don't know but it should be the more eye popping red.
    Joel Heinke

I thought Ferrari's 250GTO color was always the Rosso Cina & some other colors.Not the Rosso Corsa...
    That page says otherwise:
    & that one says the opposite:
    http://www.geoffbolam.com/ferrari-250-gto/

Last edited by IKAROS; 02-11-2018 at 12:52 PM.