Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: FunnyWheels gets a facelift!

FunnyWheels gets a facelift!

I picked up FunnyWheels last weekend on a trailer twice.

My first attempt was last Friday. Borrowed a nice low trailer and made the ride down to pick up the car. FunnyWheels has not been driven in about 5 or 6 years, the brakes were stuck and it would hardly roll. Robin and I attempted to line the car up with the trailer and pull it up with a strap using the truck. Every time we tried the car was a little to far to one side or the other. Since the trailer had side rails it was a real tight squeeze.
    Once we tried about 4 or 5 times pushing the car up the driveway and back down. Me, in my wisdom thought it would be a good idea to measure the trailer and compare it to the wide ass end of FunnyWheels. Come to find out the car was a half of an inch wider in the rear than the trailer.

Hummm I thought - It's not going to fit even with butter or grease.

After working in the heat for 2 hours pushing the car back and forth I was about ready to pass out anyway.

I'm sure at this point Dave was looking down at us laughing hysterically.

So, after returning the trailer and making our way home empty handed I called around to find someone who had a trailer that would work to no avail.

After scratching my head a few times, I thought what about the old trailer we have out in the field out back? It's high off the ground but with long ramps maybe it would work.

So, I went to Home Depot and picked up a par of 2x12s 12 foot long. Slapped some red tape over the broken trailer lights and off we went for a second attempt.

After another scorching afternoon in the Florida sun we made it back home with FunnyWheels intact.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

She still looks great !!

Mac what are your plans as far as the facelift goes ?

The car still looks fairly good in photos but since the car has been sitting idle for so long. It's going to need some TLC to get it back on the road again. The brake pedal is frozen, interior needs a lot of attention, top frame needs replacing, gauges non functioning etc. I'm planning on putting it up on stands tomorrow and drop the tank. The fuel must be looking nasty by now. I'll also oil up the cylinders with Marvel or PB blaster for a few days or so before I attempt to turn over the motor at all. The seats are looking better. I have been coating them with leather conditioner to soften them up again.

Obviously, a labor of love.

Looking forward to periodic updates.

I think I need to replace this master cylinder. The brake pedal is frozen. according to Dave's notes it's from a Chevy Truck. Anyone have any idea what year and type? The documentation was from 1999.

Your lucky its so easily accessed. One of the most difficult things I have ever had to do, was change a master cylinder, on my lp640 replica. The front fender, blocked off more than you can imagine.

I have a similar looking one in my car. I believe it was from a Corvette and 1 1/8 piston vs 3/4 or something like that.

Thanks, I'll probably know more once I remove it and look it over a bit.

This weekend I removed all the wheels and cleaned everything up. The rotors were a rusty mess. I didn't get around to dropping the tank as of yet. Although I did drop in a new battery and it turns over but no fuel. Probably needs a new fuel pump and screen. The relay appears to be working.

Quote Originally Posted by MacGyver View Post
    I think I need to replace this master cylinder. The brake pedal is frozen. according to Dave's notes it's from a Chevy Truck. Anyone have any idea what year and type? The documentation was from 1999.
    What's the saying- engine, body, then interior? I was reading another forum and a quote from jrdeamicis:
    Code:
    If the pedal moves when the bleeder is opened, and not when closed its in the MC not the booster. 

To test the booster just unhook the MC (lines attached) and see if the pedal moves. 

You might still have a TON of air in the lines. The rears can be a pain.
    What if it is a stuck check valve or something with the booster? Either way get the engine running 1st, then explore the brakes. Hey you have to imagine cruising forward before you should worry about stopping! I like that old generic GM part, it was chosen for a reason. If it is fouled rebuild it for 10$ and polish up the reservoir surface, that would be cool.