Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: LP 400 Build

Hybrid View

LP 400 Build

Hi all,

two years ago I bought some fragments of a Mirage Mk1 Countach body on eBay UK very cheaply and picked them up in Birmingham....
    I live near Munich Germany btw so it was quite a trip to fetch them, about 1300km one way!

I hadn't the time to do much with the parts until fairly recently.
    My aim is to build an LP 400 replica, that is the one without the wheel arches

The previous owner of the body had cut it up into quarters so he could store it in his small shed lol
    But fiberglass is easy to modify right? and I certainly have lots of modifying to do........

First thing I did was to cut off the arches and then mock it up on a Lotus Esprit chassis that I have, this plan might change though.
    Esprits have shot up in value and I might restore the car and convert to LHD after all.

Here are a couple of shots to get the ball rolling.......

Nick

Last edited by zagato750gt; 05-02-2016 at 03:35 AM.

The next job was to join the quarters together. I decided to make bolting flanges so the body remains modular and not one piece like normal.

Nice project =)

Now we are pretty much up to speed and I have filled in the arch openings.

My friend Nic printed out 1:1 templates from CAD so I had a cut line. Brilliant, thanks mate

The roof should be next which will get the 'Periscopo' modifications before it goes on.

I have an original full-size Countach windscreen so I will be losing the ugly and wide Mirage Mk1 A pillars thank god.

Nick, thanks for sharing. There is something of a Countach resurgence on here right now, with two very well built LP400s being put together. A few of us are also building other detail obsessed Countach replicas. Good call on the windscreen, but don't forget to correct the roof line when you build the roof/doors/pillars..

Here to help, PM or message on this thread any time and I'll help where I can.

K9

Quote Originally Posted by K9COP View Post
    Nick, thanks for sharing. There is something of a Countach resurgence on here right now, with two very well built LP400s being put together. A few of us are also building other detail obsessed Countach replicas. Good call on the windscreen, but don't forget to correct the roof line when you build the roof/doors/pillars..

Here to help, PM or message on this thread any time and I'll help where I can.

K9
    The roof line will be addressed of course, in for a penny in for a pound

Thanks for the offer of help K9, I might just take you up on that later......

Nick

Nice project.

It will certainly be fun to see this beast come to life. Keep the updates coming.

I'll be following along with this one for sure.

Welcome! The LP400 is a thing of beauty! Your fiber glassing skills are evident! Take care, Eddy

Quote Originally Posted by Fast Eddy View Post
    Welcome! The LP400 is a thing of beauty! Your fiber glassing skills are evident! Take care, Eddy
    Thanks Eddy

I am no expert just a hobbyist who is learning by doing.....I have built several kits before but nothing as adventurous as the LP400 project.

Fiber glassing is fun, hack a bit off, glass a bit on You just have to wait for temperatures to come up above 10 deg. German winters are damn cold!!!!

Cheers
    Nick

Great job so far. There aren't a lot of (or probably any) lp 400's out there, which is part of the reason I am making one as well. I love the clean lines, and I love the shape of that rear wheel arch.

Carlos
    My Scratch-built Countach LP400 build: http://projectcountach.blogspot.com/