Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Chupacabra build

Have to agree I prefer the original Flávio design that looked like an updated countach

Combining Diablo glass and Murci lower side scoops make it look more like a kit car rather than a modern version of the countach

Thank you everyone. This has been quite a project over the last years. When I owned Fast Lane Engineering, we built over 300 cars, in my life I have done probably 400 total, and this project is testing every part of my ability. Still I get up every morning anxious to work on it. One of the tests is the balance of Flavio's design and what can physically be built. My good friend Tom Stephens at Design2 is doing most of the Solidworks and I have become the moderator between him and Flavio. I have been insistent from the beginning that we stay true to Flavio's design but some compromises have to be made and we are making every attempt to handle them gracefully.
    Lambolex, we too wanted a window that would roll all the way down and finally have it. Once it was done, Flavio wanted to use the Diablo doors and Tom could make it work so I as the moderator am very happy. I will post the final design soon but it does not dip as radical as a Diablo and the flat top of the door is pronounced like a Countach. They are both happy so end of discussion.
    FastEddy, I already have authorization for 900 VIN Numbers and MCO's, all ISO Certified worldwide. I will offer it as turnkey or kit. In our best years at FLE we built 50 cars a year so that is at least an 18 year supply.
    Cutlass and Autopro, point taken about the other changes. Let me get into those further and we will discuss it more.
    Paul, let me see if I can find a shirt for the next video just for you.

Charley

P.S.
    We are going to etch the dividers of the Countach glass into this window glass. Kind of a ghost of things past. I like the concept behind that as much as the actual look.

I could not get this picture to attach in my last post but I wanted Lambolex to see the "Coffers" that are CNC'd throughout the chassis. That red tint must be the reflection of a shirt.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by 76mx; 05-25-2016 at 10:35 AM.

Well then I guess that leaves only 899 left! I'd like to put my name on the list if one exists for chassis #900 thank you!!! (Tung in cheek, but I am more serious than not and want to investigate details further). That will leave me time to finish up my Prova and Enzo/FXX projects in the mean time! (I need to decide between Enzo or FXX version). I was considering an aluminum chassis to pick up my C5 suspension components for the Enzo/FXX project. Could the Chupa chassis be tailored for this? Seems they are very similarly proportioned vehicles except for the center tunnel/tank. Your suspension would be a much neater option over the C5 though! I would be very interested in this in the future. PM me if this interests you at all, and any further details about Chupa kit version and how to get a slot. Is a shirt included with each Vin?
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 05-25-2016 at 05:33 PM.

Just watched a bunch of your videos and I'm speechless, you sir are truly amazing !.

I can hardly wait to see what the finished product will look like. Once you start selling the components, will you have any options on mounting different engines ? would love to see some kind of V12 option, maybe from a BMW which is readily available, and with the right exhaust it could sound like this car:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUEKLzfyzd0

Of course it would need to be turboed to get it up to the 500 - 600 HP range, Maybe not everyones cup of tea, but I find that exhaust note really exotic.

Thanks for the picture Charlie, I have not heard of the term Coffers until you mentioned it, although I have seen the same pattern in Fran's suspension arms up on GT40.com where i follow most of the build diaries as you always learn a new way to build a car , and figured it was just his way of removing excess material, but after your picture i did some goggling , which would suggest its done for structural reasons.
    I figured it was there to reduce the drumming effect of large alloy panels due to the vibrations that run though a chassis, are the small corrugations milled into the surface directly or do you have to glue plates with the Coffer pattern on them, a little like OEM manufacturers glue deadening panels around of the floor of a car chassis to reduce the drumming effect. I now understand why you made the plate grade of 1/4 inch as that leaves you some meat behind if you mill them directly into the panels. When I went for a ride in a Countach replica in NZ before buying my shell, I could not even talk to the driver without shouting due to the noise transmitted from the suspension which had rose joints, to the fiberglass shell. This is something I really want to sort in my build, as it would not be good at all on a long trip, and I assume you will have some form of serious noise insulation between the engine alloy firewall, and the passenger compartment. My chassis will have 38sq tube making up the rear firewall and i will stuff fiberglass batts into the tubes before welding it all together , as i could not see the point of lining the firewall between the tubes with 2 inch batts just to have the noise travel straight through the tubes.
    I am really glad you posted the videos up, and are prepared to answer our questions here, as I figure you can always teach an old dog new tricks, and i am an old dog at 61yrs and you can always learn a new way of doing stuff well done.

FastEddie, I will put you down for #900. This was supposed to be the last prototype car but it is sold. I have purchase orders contingent on this one, but I did not count on those orders coming in lots of five at a time in order to get low serial numbers. This is the same chassis design that I use on all mid engine replicas. The dimensions here are the same as a Countach chassis but it was designed to stretch for the longer wheelbases and also a wider track within reason. The advantage of a backbone/wishbone frame as opposed to a perimeter frame is that the "Outrigging" is changed to accept a different body but the basic structure and suspension hardpoints do not have to be re-invented each time. Carlos has three deals working on his next Aventador body and each one wants to ship it directly to me to outrig a chassis for his body. That chassis and yours if you choose that direction will also come with an ISO VIN. I think your shirt idea is excellent. A few weeks ago I delivered two builds (not Chupacabra's) to New York and stopped at the Corvette Plant on the way home. I had seen it before but with a new mindset I was struck with the big deal of picking up the new car personally there. I came home and promptly made sure that any customer of mine picking their car up personally would be treated to a cattle drive down Main Street in Fort Worth (truth). I think a shirt would add to that.

TNG, The engine of choice is an aluminum 450HP small block with a 300,000 mile factory warranty. This already gives a better power to weight ratio than a Sprint Cup Car, but I have very much on purpose left a lot on the table here. The engine and transaxle is on plates so any new configuration requires a new plate, again not having to re-invent the chassis each time. There will be more about this on the next video which should be in just a few days. The chassis is designed to take an LS (also with dual turbos), a BMW V-12, and should take anything else within reason. I also have just about finalized an Enderle injector system controlled by OnStar, that is a joint project with myself, OnStar, and Delorean North America.

Lambolex, I had struggled with the interior which I wanted to be brutal and functional but elegant at the same time. I already knew that the chassis would be coated with Lizardskin heat and sound protection. There is a great deal of info about these products on my friend Marx Henry's Lizardskin website. Both products are sprayed on with a $70 gun and it is all proven technology, no "I think it will work". Once sprayed, you can cook an egg on one side of that 1/4" panel and hold your hand on the other. It is about 20mils thick and simply put is friendlier in every way to the conventional Boom Mat and others. The sound deadening kills all of the drumming. This chassis is going on their Homepage as soon as it is coated. Marx just sent me their newest product which is an overcoat similar to a pick-up bedliner material. I had also thought that I would use such a material on the exposed aluminum in the interior. I thought it would look good but be a little more stark than I wanted. Then I was watching the History Channel one night and a lightbulb went off. Carpet is going to be cut (on the CNC) the same size as the coffer and inserted into them, making a carpeted interior in an aluminum frame of bedliner. The rest of the interior is ACM carbon fiber panels and that finishes the interior. I have tested the effect of a black aluminum frame with dark grey carpet inserts and carbon fiber trim, it is exactly the look I was going for. I think the corrugation pattern you are referring to is an illusion made by the tool lines and their cutting pattern, those coffers are all perfectly flat and 1/8" deep.

And one more thing to everyone this time, 29 posts on this Thread and it has all been intelligent and civil conversation, even when point of views differed. I AM PLEASANTLY AMAZED!

Thanks Charley! I'll be in touch. Mean while I will watch your progress intently! All the best, Eddy
    Last edited by Fast Eddy; 10-30-2016 at 09:26 PM.