Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Aldino Spider

I am loving seeing this car progress. Keep the updates and pics coming. I don't know if I like watching new builds more or the rescuing of builds gone wrong. lol

Thanks, G35Mike for the encouragement!

The car has these flex tubes up front on each side, but they don’t go anywhere or serve any function. I could see if they delivered cool air to the brakes and this car was a race car?? For me they serve no purpose so out they go!

Much better!

By the way, who can see the next problem in the above picture?
    Last edited by mera308gts; 06-14-2016 at 04:39 PM.

Might those tubes direct airflow through the body to cut down on turbulence (without them the rushing air may go otger directions and rattle the body )

I would agree with you on that one curlass but the tubs only routed a small amount of air from the grills they were attached to. If they cut off all airflow from the vents to redirect through the tubes, I think that would have made sense but seeing as the air was still flowing in and around the tubes, if they were to control rattle in the body... I can't see them being all that effective in that original setup.

My guess, and a guess only, is that was a failed attempt to redirect air to the breaks. Given the angle of which the tubes seemed to be originally ran... however, even that seemed only to direct air to the inside of the fender well which would not have been effective in cooling the breaks at all anyway...

All I am saying is, from the pictures, I dont think it would make much of a difference to leave them in or take them out.

Quote Originally Posted by mera308gts View Post
    Maybe you mean the small extended piece of aluminum & the way it supports the front bumper?

Quote Originally Posted by IKAROS View Post
    Maybe you mean the small extended piece of aluminum & the way it supports the front bumper?
    My thought as well....

HPIM6071 by Dana Junkins, on Flickr

Since the bolt on the end of that aluminum bar provides support over a tiny surface area of the fiberglass, (compared to having the fiberglass attached to a piece of angle, etc), is that bolt likely to break the fiberglass? Just my uneducated guess at what is wrong.

The correct answer is “all of the above”! In this picture of the front nose interior you can see the homebrew front supports. The rusted black square tubing is supporting the hinges for the front hood and the aluminum bar stock, etc is supporting the lower nose panel. The black tubing supports have homemade hinges that are way off causing the misalignment of the front hood. I have the same problem with the homebrew rear hatch hinges, so I have ordered the factory supports / mounts from Aldino. Hoping Aldino ships them soon, would like to get going on the body issues.

The other big item in the picture is the lower twin fan unit?? This pulls air and dirt up from the road in front of the radiator. The stock radiator fan is also operational in the stock location. I’m a retired mechanical and electrical engineer having worked in the nuclear submarine industry and I freely admit not the automotive industry, but see no purpose for the twin fans. If the compartment in front of the radiator was sealed, ok but the nose is open and the stock radiator fan is doing its job. So unless someone can show me sound science to justify these noisy twin fans blowing air and road dirt in front of the radiator, they and their clothes dryer power cable go when I remove the front panels!

So that the car can suck more. lol

and so you can make it suck less... lol

Which your doing an amazing job by the way.

That's the extent of my science and my serious answer is, it seems that they "intended" the car to race around... not smart given the construction initially IMHO... but it appears that was the intent... So, perhaps, they thought that two fans would increase the cooling of the engine when being pushed... If the car even stayed in one piece when at said speed that is.

That's the only logical thought for their illogical setup I can fathom.

The other big item in the picture is the lower twin fan unit?? This pulls air and dirt up from the road in front of the radiator. The stock radiator fan is also operational in the stock location. I’m a retired mechanical and electrical engineer having worked in the nuclear submarine industry and I freely admit not the automotive industry, but see no purpose for the twin fans. If the compartment in front of the radiator was sealed, ok but the nose is open and the stock radiator fan is doing its job. So unless someone can show me sound science to justify these noisy twin fans blowing air and road dirt in front of the radiator, they and their clothes dryer power cable go when I remove the front panels!
    Down force.... Ok, I've got nothin'.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif