Page 37 of 48 FirstFirst ... 27353637383947 ... LastLast

Thread: G28 - Simple Mans, Simple REDO of an G28 LP640

Using the reducible gas shock from McMaster Carr 6465K7 that have been previously mentioned in other posts here.

These have 13mm ball studs. The REDO had a 10mm mounted on the body. Thought about REDoing and installing a 13mm, but ordered a 10mm Ball Socket End Fittings with Safety Clip for Gas Springs.

Did a test mounting and these shocks are excellent, very powerful!

more exciting stuff on the REDO... front flange, thinner than my hair... Just tore it off with my hand. It was good to have the unmolested passenger side as a guide.

Then all this spray in expando foam ,is this a good product to use to fill in voids or is there something better?

All flanges on drivers side fixed and seal installed

Buddy I am glad to see you fixing this thing up still. It's really going to be a solid car when done and all this work and posting of progress will certainly pay off if ever you decide to sell the car. This would help show the new potential owner all the work that went into making it a solid car. But we can forget about that now.

As for filling in gaps, I would think that metal trumps anything but if you had nothing to weld to or you were simply fixing a body panel, which is what I think I understand you did here, the foam I feel would be good enough if you feel it wont crack or over time or fall apart causing you more REDO work in the future.
    It's a never ending battle of making your cars better and also trying to be better yourself. - Dale Earnhardt Sr

keep up the good work, its been all the little tedious sections like this on my build that eat up the time. To do it right is way more pleasing, you will look back and be glad you put in the extra work

Quote Originally Posted by G35Mike View Post
    Buddy I am glad to see you fixing this thing up still. It's really going to be a solid car when done and all this work and posting of progress will certainly pay off if ever you decide to sell the car. This would help show the new potential owner all the work that went into making it a solid car. But we can forget about that now.

As for filling in gaps, I would think that metal trumps anything but if you had nothing to weld to or you were simply fixing a body panel, which is what I think I understand you did here, the foam I feel would be good enough if you feel it wont crack or over time or fall apart causing you more REDO work in the future.

G35 Probably going to make a fiber glass panel to bridge the gap between the G28 body and the fiero frame, but that will be later. I did find some water proof high density spray foam that I might use.

Happy New Year!

Quote Originally Posted by bodyman View Post
    keep up the good work, its been all the little tedious sections like this on my build that eat up the time. To do it right is way more pleasing, you will look back and be glad you put in the extra work
    Bodyman, I just try to keep plugging away at the REDO and try to do it correctly as I go.

Happy New Year!!

Added multiple layers of CSM to the outside of the door skin. Once close enough to door jam ground inside down to correct thickness.

Made a one piece plate to mount the Latch to using my plasma cutter, getting better at using this tool

Good times lining up the latch to the striker plate

Got a start adding support for the latch.

That latch just looks so overly complex in the pics for some reason......like it has 10 times the pieces that it needs to operate.
    It almost looks like the internal mechanism of a clock or something.
    Keep up the good work!

Quote Originally Posted by 20below View Post
    That latch just looks so overly complex in the pics for some reason......like it has 10 times the pieces that it needs to operate.
    It almost looks like the internal mechanism of a clock or something.
    Keep up the good work!

2obelow, yes I will have to modify the latch a bit depending on what locking system I go with. I have some pictures of another members latch set up. But have some other issues to address before I get to the mods.