Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Modern-day Miura

http://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php...9465dbced9aec5

http://vintagewheelsus.com/index.php...index&cPath=15

or ask for a price quote from cnc shops that could replicate that wheel.
    Last edited by IKAROS; 07-15-2018 at 01:30 PM.

Post Another Miura Related Road Trip

I took a second Miura related road trip in as many weeks. This time just a day trip to buy and haul home a donor car. I found a 1991 Corvette on Craigslist that had already been stripped of all the drive train but still had a good windshield and both doors with glass.

I figured for $200 it was a good deal as I could potentially also use the cowl, windshield wipers/motor, door posts, door hinges, electric window mechanisms, hood latches, etc. that were still on the car. With no suspension or wheels it was a bit of a chore to load on the trailer, but with the help of a couple of moving dollies, a very large floor jack, and a come-along winch we were able to belly flop the Corvette carcass up on the trailer.

As you might recall, I plan to use a C4 Corvette windshield in the Miura. With this donor car I now have the opportunity to also use the metal in the cowl, windshield posts and top bow such that glass can be glued in versus having a separate seal. Iím hoping to also use the Corvette side windows as they already have the proper angle on the front edge to match the windshield. The Corvette doors are fairly long as is the side glass so this maybe an issue.

As a bonus, the Corvette still had its 6 way power adjustable leather sport seats. These just might work in the Miura. The leather is worn, so that will need replacement but they do fit well in the chassis.

The Miura was originally outfitted with much simpler seats. So Iíll need to decide if these seats are too much but thatís a decision that can wait for much later in the project.
    Joel Heinke
    Be original; don't be afraid of being bold!

Post Pulling C4 Corvette cowl and windshield

It took a couple of days to strip down the Corvette dash saving the parts of the wiring harness for the steering column and doors. Iím amazed at the number of wires in this car, the main harness is about 3 inches thick with wires. The door and windshield posts appear to be strongly built as they provide the main and only support for the cowl and windshield. Iím hoping to reuse the posts, cowl and windshield as an entire unit so Iím being careful to keep it intact during removal.

The windshield and cowl are ready to lift out after drilling out a bunch of spot welds, cold chiseling them loose and making a horizontal cut across the firewall. The firewall is providing no structural support and was easy to cut as it is all made of FRP (Fiber Reinforced Plastic). With the help of my two sons, the windshield unit was easily lifted and carried to the garage without inflicting any damage.

The windshield is now looking good as new after cleaning it with a little bit of glass cleaner. After I remove the steering column mounting bracket from the cowl (thatís about a dozen more spot welds to tackle), Iíll be ready to do a trial fit for this entire unit to the chassis.
    Joel Heinke

Post Trial fit windshield, cowl, and steering column

The Strickland chassis has a steering column mount built-in so I didnít need the one on the C4 cowl. After cutting it off, my son and I lifted the cowl/windshield and set it what looked like a logical place. Itís top heavy so a brace is needed to keep it upright.

With this done, I figured I might as well trial fit the steering column so I could get the ďdrivers feelĒ for the positioning of the windshield and steering together. After cutting the factory mounting bracket off the steering column, it slid right in place. The FedEx truck pulled up and dropped off the steering U-joints as I was working on it, so I could now attach it all the way to the rack & pinion as well.

Visibility through the windshield is good sitting in the driverís seat, the steering wheel positioning is very comfortable, and thereís plenty of legroom. I can easily get into and out of the driverís seat even though the windshield sweeps back a long way. I obviously wonít be using the Corvette steering wheel and will likely replace it with a larger diameter wheel given the Miura wonít have power steering. The steering column is a tilt variety so the wheel can be tilted up for easier ingress/egress from the driverís seat. All in all, Iím very happy with the fit of these donor C4 parts for use in the Miura.

I still need to determine the exact vertical and horizontal positioning for the windshield as I may need to move it an inch or so from where it sits now. I think I need to mock up the placement for the rear part of door opening such that I can use the length of the side window glass to help position the windshield. This will also help verify if the C4 side window glass will work in the Miura as it might be too long.
    Joel Heinke

Great build Joel, you're raising the bar on this forum and everyone benefits from it. I watched the video of you getting the chassis at Charleys shop, Must've been like Christmas for you ! This car will be spectacular when its finished.
    All the best, Vinny
    Remember, there is always next year.

Quote Originally Posted by TRcrazy View Post
    Great build Joel, you're raising the bar on this forum and everyone benefits from it. I watched the video of you getting the chassis at Charleys shop, Must've been like Christmas for you ! This car will be spectacular when its finished.
    All the best, Vinny
    Thanks Vinny. I like your Mercedes CLK project as well. It looks like we're taking a very similar journey with our projects.
    Joel Heinke

Very interesting idea of using corvette windshield frame/A pillars, it saves a lot of headache building that assembly plus you have the benefit of having wiper regulators already built in along with pedal mounts and probably other few things. I should have looked at it when I was building mine.
    One question though, how does it fit on Charlies chassis and what other modifications would be required to mount on top of it?

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by chimaera View Post
    Very interesting idea of using corvette windshield frame/A pillars, it saves a lot of headache building that assembly plus you have the benefit of having wiper regulators already built in along with pedal mounts and probably other few things. I should have looked at it when I was building mine.
    One question though, how does it fit on Charlies chassis and what other modifications would be required to mount on top of it?
    Chimaera: Yes, using the C4 windshield frame/A pillars looks like it will be a big winner and time saver for me. It did have the steering column and pedal assembly mount but I decide to cut them off and use the mounts Charlie built into the Strickland chassis. The biggest advantage I see with the C4 windshield is that I'm getting a windshield with a replacement cost that's an order of magnitude cheaper (~$250 verses ~$2,500) than Miura windshield glass. I can only see the Miura windshield going to unobtainium cost (it's actually just about there already) over time as well. Hopefully with the large number of C4s still running around, the C4 glass will continue to be available at a reasonable cost.

As to mounting it to the Strickland chassis, I still need to work out the details there. It does look to be a fairly straightforward thing to do though. I plan to show the details for this in future updates once I do get to it. I'm still at the stage where I'm trying to figure out the exact A pillar positioning right now. That means getting the wheels positioned and then door opening positions figured out. As part of this, I'm also trying to figure out if the C4 door window glass will work as well. If it does, then I'm into double bonus territory with the purchase of the $200 C4 Corvette donor!!!
    Joel Heinke

Post Rack & Pinion Mount

Knowing the wheel positioning is one of the factors I need to work out in order to solve for the windshield positioning. To get the wheel positioning established, I need to have the suspension setup and wheels aligned or at least real close on alignment. Part of suspension setup is mounting the Pinto rack & pinion unit. The drivers side was easy as it had mounting holes already drilled in the casting and all I needed to do was drill out matching holes in the chassis. The passenger side however didnít have a built-in mount.

I looked online and found a nice machined aluminum mount could be purchased. But it also occurred to me that I could make this mount myself. I had acquired a Bridgeport mill about a year ago and have been slowly teaching myself how to use it. Machining out this mount looked like a great practice project and I found a chunk of ĺĒ thick aluminum plate in my metal collection.

After cutting out a rectangular piece just a bit larger than needed, I machined the edges to square it up and bored a 1 3/8Ē hole in it.

After some more machining operations, I had added mounting holes and took off some unneeded excess metal. Once installed, it holds the rack firm and even looks pretty good.

Joel Heinke

Post Door window glass

An open question is whether the C4 Corvette side window glass will work in this Miura. Itís the most obvious choice since I know it matches up to the windshield post. What still needed to be figured out is if the side window glass is too long/wide. One thing I know with the side windows is that they are made from tempered glass. So they will either work or not as tempered glass cannot be cut.

The Corvette doors are longer than the Miuraís and thus the side glass is as well. But my Miura has a longer wheelbase than the original so it really comes down to if the longer doors and side glass support the Miura look or not. The best way I know to answer that is to do a visual mockup. So I further secured the door posts/cowl with some ratchet tie downs, put the Corvette targa top in place and mounted the doors. I did lighten the doors by removing door skins, electric locks, electric mirrors, etc. before mounting. The electric window lifts still work fine on both doors once I untangled the wiring mess to figure out how to get power to them.

Adding the doors helped give a visual but I needed more. So I added some cardboard to simulate the back portion of the door, the triangle of bodywork thatís between the door and rear clip, a strip at the door front, and a ruler to mark the bottom. Marking the door bottom told me the Corvette window lifts will need to be cut and bottoms raised about 2 inches if the side rocker height is to be maintained same as Miura. When fully retracted, the Corvette side windows go all the way to the door bottom so shortening the lifts means the windows wonít be able to retract all the way inside the door.

With the cardboard extending the door up to the top of side window, the Miura look really started to emerge. But to be sure, I thought it worthwhile to do some quick and dirty Photoshop editing to add more of the Miura bodywork. I started by adding the cabin bodywork.

And then added on the front and rear clips.

Now thereís the visual I wanted and needed. This tells me the Corvette side glass should work out fine. It also tells me the windshield placement from a fore and aft perspective is also good. Another thing I knew, but this validates it, the wheels need to be larger in diameter than are currently on the car. The tires need to be about 1.5 inches taller/larger or they just look too small.

My first impression was that the roof should be lowered some and thus the windshield also lowered. The roof height as the car sits right now is 46.5 inches from the ground. Thereís about 2 inches clearance between the top of my head and the inside of the targa top right now. Iím not too worried about that as I can easily pick up another couple of inches with thinner/lower seats. Itís the door glass and electric lifter height thatís more worrying to me.

I think Iíll do some more Photoshopping to see the visual effect of shortening the rocker panel that runs between the front and back tires. That rocker panel has more visual effect on the Miura than most cars because of the tradition of painting it in silver. If I can shorten the rocker height with no ill visual effects, then I can lower the roof, windshield and doors together. Otherwise, the roof height might just be exactly where it needs to be and Iíll have to look into other ways to make the top look shorter even though it isnít.
    Joel Heinke