Thread: Manitoba f355 project

Manitoba f355 project

I wasn't really interested in a kit project but I may have to now. So the beginning of my build started off buying online some parts for my fiero and said I would take all the parts he had just to help him clean out his yard due to moving. He mentions I should bring a trailer. I get there and he has it all ready to go and has a tarp over another pile and said that goes too.

He pulls it off and is most of the pieces to a 355 kit for a 3" stretched fiero frame(supposedly from cali so I will have to do some looking up on here)
    Being from Manitoba Canada, according to the DOT guy ,there is very little ability to mod cars structural framework without a ton of hoops to jump through so I may have to do some creative mounting and see how weird it will look.

Now to figure out how to get pics posted up.

That's one way to stumble into it. If you post pics, someone here can identify it. Best guess would be an IFG/Warlock kit out of Cali. If so, it requires a lot of work to make it look "right".

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Sounds like a kit needing huge amounts of time/money to make look "right". Use it as the foundation for an updated or new design something one off and special. There are good designers on here who could help I am sure. Getting it registered as a homebuilt vs kit gets easier too.IMHO

The "plan" will be to make it fit onto a stock fiero frame . It wont be right but it will be a one of a kind unit. The hood for the kit is mia so I will have to see how ugly it looks with a fiero one and then mod the front to work. My daughter wanted a lambo door mod on the fiero so I may have to incorporate something into this. Way back when I liked a kit that had a tilt open back end so that possibility has entered my mind too. Its more of a learning tool dropped in my lap than anything.

Elements of it appear to be from IFG... like the one-piece doors, but the other parts don't look like IFG body panels to me (I have two IFG kits). The roof and quarter window areas are far too well shaped to be 1st gen IFG anyway.

I think you would spend as much effort to convert the body into a short wheelbase kit as you would to stretch the frame. Different skills needed, but in the end, the stretched frame car would look better, and open up the opportunity to upgrade the engine with a greater variety of choice since there would be more room. It's daunting for the first-timer, but it's really not that hard to stretch a Fiero.

Blooz is right. Looks like a splash of an IFG after some other mods.

With these particular kits, you can move the engine frame back 3" without having to cut the Fiero frame. You extend the engine cradle and move the mounting points on the back mounts forward through some plates and welding. This allows you to keep the Fiero frame intact but you do need to adjust the rear firewall for clearance.

Several ways to build this out. you just need to confirm how you want to go about it.

Cheers and good luck. Keep us posted on how you want to go and I am sure we can help.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Geez, you can have an real 355 for around $50K. I saw one near me, a red spider for $25K that needed interior plastics and upholstery. I sold my 355 recently and had about $27K into the build excluding labor, which most was done myself. It took 9+ years to get it right, so that is a TON of labor.
    On the plus side, I learned a bunch of things about fiberglass. Since it was a modified IFG kit, lots of things needed to be done to get the body right. The most glaring thing on these cars is the 'Coke bottle doors'. The doors have a warp in them, they were made that way. The hood is also going to need to be sectioned, glassed with the correct curvature, and then a mold cast of the modified hood so a part can be taken from it. These kinds of things are why spending at least $10K on a decent kit is a really great idea, especially with your limited fiberglass experience.
    Nobody really plans on making money building these, but you surely don't want to spend $30K+ on a car that is worth $10K when you are done with hundreds of hours in labor spent.