Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric Supercar

Electric Supercar

Hello all,

I thought I would start a build thread. I have ordered a K1-attack kit car. I have started the assembly. My plan is to have a Tesla drive train. I am sourcing from EV-West. Hopefully that was a good company to partner with. I am waiting on batteries until the build is further along. I will definitely reach out to the forum for advice along the way. I am also documenting in YouTube. Feel free to follow along.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC-U...TGAO5APsfuT9uw

Time for some advice. I am putting in the brakes. For my build it uses a 2002 Honda Civic master cylinder. My car will be likely rear heavy 40/60. I will have disc brakes on all 4 corners. My question is about the valving. Would you opt for a proportioning valve, combination valve, just a distribution block, nothing at all?

Why not bigger brakes and BMC if it's a supercar? A 6 piston/4 piston CTSV brake setup could be done under $1000 (+ aftermarket pedal box with BMC)

I have 4 piston calipers at all 4 corners. The biggest that would fit my application. Plenty of stopping power for ~2000-lb car. My question was about the valving. Are you suggesting BMC instead of typical valving?

I guess I'm wondering then how does a civic BMC move enough fluid for 4x 4pot calipers?

Quote Originally Posted by 275NART View Post
    I guess I'm wondering then how does a civic BMC move enough fluid for 4x 4pot calipers?
    Exactly what I was wandering. How was the selection of a Honda Civic master cylinder made for the giant calipers shown in your video? I think until you get some fluid moving, valving is just not an issue.

Great comments guys. The master cylinder is definitely on the upgrade list. What size bore would you think? 1"? or bigger?

Quote Originally Posted by Electric SuperCar View Post
    Great comments guys. The master cylinder is definitely on the upgrade list. What size bore would you think? 1"? or bigger?
    What are the brakes from? Factory brakes, if so from what car? Or aftermarket like wilwood, baer etc? I'm assuming you will do manual brakes? Electric power steering rack or column?

If your master cylinder is above the wheel cylinders all you need is a proportioning valve to adjust front to rear balance. Wilwood tandem master cylinder #260-8794 works well for most applications.

ESC, I know very little about your build, but in spite of that I am confident of a few things. 1) A Honda Civic master cylinder has less than a one inch bore and very little stroke, and is nowhere close to the volume required for those brakes. 2) Replacing it with a single one inch bore is still nowhere close. 3) Your brake manufacturer should be able to tell you exactly what MC (probably plural, what MC's) you need. 4) Since you say the MC is scheduled for an upgrade, the question about valving for this MC is a mute point. 5) Txbuilder is right, that is a good choice, but with that one you have to guess both bore sizes right the first time and there is no provision except valving for fine tuning. It is an easy replacement though. More difficult but possibly a better solution is the Wilwood pedal assembly that uses two separate MC's. You have the ability to select and change both MC's independently as well as a balance bar that eliminates the need for a proportioning valve. 6) The size of those overkill brakes and rotors is actually hurting your performance ability for a 2,000lb Supercar application.
    Last edited by 76mx; 06-23-2019 at 01:25 PM.