Page 1 of 59 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Don's Build Progress

Don's Build Progress

I just spent 1/2 an hour putting together a pretty detailed story of my progress so far.* It all went away when Internet Explorer locked up.* We should not be allowed to create and ship such crap for software.* Anyway, my much abridged version of my build progress.

Enjoy the pictures.

Don

Any red you see on the body panels is where I have had to cut and adjust and align all my panels to look much closer to proper.

Full right side front view of progress to date.* I really like the rims I have purchased for the car.

Full right side rear view of progress to date.

Closer look at the front rim and clip.* Note the 11.25" disks I put in to see how it looked.

Same for the rear rim and clip.

Interior ready to be worked on and cleaned up.* Blurry but the door panel with arm rest and handle enclosure in place.

Better picture of the door panel.

Upper and lower Dash pieces with guage pod sitting on it. Work to be done on each side of upper and lower dash pieces to bring them closer to original with the wrap around toward the doors.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Re: Don's Build Progress

Thought I better post before it blew up on me again.

Status to date:

Suspension built and ready to be painted and put in for good.
    Brake upgrade all parts in hand and ready to put in once suspension is in.
    Frame reinforcement (again) under way.* More pics to come on that and how I did it.
    Most panels aligned and reay for clean up body work.
    Here is an idea of what I have had to do.* This is the drivers door still under construction.

Dark pieces are where I have cut and added fiberglass to line up panels along length of car.

Inside of the door panel.* Bottom fiberglass is to be trimmed to shape for attaching to the bottom of the Fiero door.

Door frame filling to mold toward more original shapes.

Another shot of buck getting ready to create a one off mold.

Front of door frame area under construction.

Engine sitting on stand.* Looks forelorne sitting on there.* I put the engine in a car show as part of a local Fiero club so I took it all apart, cleaned up the exterior and painted it to put in the show.* It looked quite funny sitting in the show as it was sitting right beside a N* sitting in the same cradle size and it looked SO small against it.* We called it the before and after look of what you could do to yourself in a Fiero.* It is still empty but will be going out to a build shop to get dipped and rebuild parts purchased so I can build it back up over the winter.

I'll be changing the colour of the head covers and intake as my wife picked out the orange for th eshow but it will be going bright red for the install.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Hi all,

IT's gotta be an enourmously great feeling seeing it come to gether like that!
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Looks great, Don! Obviously a lot of work has gone into it and it will all be worth it!

It might be time to check out Firefox as your new browser.. I switched a couple of weeks ago because of problems with IE and I love it! Built-in pop-up blocker, built in spyware blocker... Very stable and easy to use... Tabbed browsing instead of opening a bunch of windows... Check it out!

http://www.spreadfirefox.com/
    http://www.fiero-performance.com/misc/songman355a.gif&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Fiero-Performance.com&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; [url=http://www.fiero-performance.com/coastrun/]2nd Annual California Coast Run[/url

Gee Don, do you ever sleep??

Don is on the road to perfection with his car, I can't imagine how it would look had you not done all the extra body work. I'm afraid you are going to get yours done first - the race is on!

Don,

This is looking absolutely great! You have done a major amount of work since I came to see it. Cant wait to see you drive it out!!

The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Thanks all;

It does feel great to see progress and the light at the end of the tunnel. Hoping it is not a train. ;D

Craig, I don't actually, sleep much any more. :P

I can hardly wait for the Spring when I am going to drive it out after the snow melts and the roads are cleared of the gravel they use for traction all winter.

More to come as I keep moving.

Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Don:

You're moving along at a nice pace. I like the door jams bonded to the Fiero like your making. It will make it look great when finished. Looks like you're adding a lip to the trailing door edge as well. I am getting inspired to work on mine after looking at your post. Keep up the good work.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

A build update.

I have been hard at work getting my reinforcing designed and put together.* I took the designs from everyone and created my own that will sit under the car and connect front suspension cross member to the rear engine cradle.

I decided to get 1.5" x 3" square tube for the ladder frame portion to give more rigidity to the frame. I wanted to lose as little ground clearance as I could so I have created a raised tube section through the cockpit for the frame to set up into.* Pictures will explain a bit better.

I cut 1.5x 3 sqaure tube lengths to start dry fitting on the garage floor.* See the rear section that is cut in the centre and bolted together so I can get into and around the gas tank at the rear.

There will be an X through the centre section as well out of 1x2 cut and bolted together for gas tank access. Also it will have additional frame sections both front and rear to connect into the front cross member and the engine cradle.

I took an idea at the front of the car to create a bit more solid connection to the front cross member and frame.* I took the factory bar that connects the two stock suspension mounts out and bolted in a 2x2 square tube across.* This tube will form part of the reinforcing frame by having the tubes running forward connect into the cross tube and then pieces going forward to the front cross member.* These will be bolted together so that the connecting pieces can be removed to get access to the air conditioning and heater tubes running up the centre tub to the heater and the a/c unit.* I have not built that piece yet but will place a small drawing in to show what I am thinking about.

Here is the set of lines that I will use to cut out a section of tub to prepare for placing in my new tub sections.

Now the cutouts before welding in the replacement sections.

Driver's Side. I seem to have lost the passenger side pics.....

Test fit for front section. I took some flat sheet 16 guage body metal and used my metal bender and created sections that will lift the square tube up into/through the frame by ~3/4".

Here are two pics of the passenger side sections welded in and ready for cleanup and text fitting.

I don't have any pics of the frame test fitted yet. I ran out of time on the weekend to get it up in and spot welded. I will have that for next weekend.

I'll post the drawing of my design in the next frame so I don't lose this.

Enjoy.
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

My drawing of the design I am putting together for the reinforcing frame.* Only part I am not sure of it the rear section that will connect the engine cradle to the frame.* Not quite sure how I am going to do that part of the design.* I will test fit things once I get everything else set in place.

Any ideas from others are welcome.

Cheers
    Don

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV