Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: eXtreme 355 build diary

eXtreme 355 build diary

Hi
    Yippieh! We finally started with the build of my eXtreme F355 that should be on the roads in British Columbia, Canada, soon. I noticed that some of you hesitate with the purchase of the kit as the manufacturer sits in England and there is not too many of those cars here in North America right now. Well...I will add one soon..hahahaha...so maybe this build description helps to answer some questions you might have.

Anyway – the donor is a 1990 MR2 (non-turbo) with left-hand drive. The kit is the 355 from eXtreme Cars (www.extreme-sportscars.com). I compared all the 355 kits out there and after I have seen the build DVD they offer (it also comes with the kit) and first of all my visit to the company last year I have no doubt that this one is the best. I would go for their 360...it’s awesome...but with the Peugeot donor and the regulations here in Canada (to bring in cars) I will go for the 355 for now.

The MR2 is (my opinion) the better donor compared to the Pontiac Fiero and with all the separate parts the car will look more authentic. When I was in England I not only saw eXtreme’s 360 and 355...I also saw how they build the parts...and that convinced me.
    I have seen kits that needed a lot of work to fit, huge gaps, thin material...and I was amazed when I checked eXtreme’s parts. Believe...it makes a huge difference if the parts fit and there is not that much after work to be done...

As my MR2 has the t-top roof the car will be the GTS version with the removable panel. Just as the real thing (the t-bar will be removed). The car will be Ferrari red, with black wheels, a black taillight cover and a black roof panel. The interior will be the standard MR2 – but I will have it upholstered in leather and it will get racing seats (like the Challenge ones from Ferrari).

Ok, I will start posting the first pics soon...

Re: eXtreme 355 build diary

Excellent Rob123, looking forward to your build diary.... What part of BC do you live? I am currently living in the Comox Valley,but will be moving to Victoria this Aug. Thanks Felix

Hi Felix (unusual name...never heard it here in BC...hahaha)
    I live in the Okanagan...but we can meet in Victoria. I'm there pretty often to visit friends. Smart move...way better than Comox Valley.
    I will post pics as soon as I have the "patron" status!

you really want to remove the T bar? it will make the frame very wobbly and flex alot, which will bring stress cracks to any body panels that are properly secured. the mr2 relies on the roof alot for support.
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

not really. I thought so, too, but Ashley from eXtreme told me that Toyota actually build some roadster/ convertible versions of the MR2 (SW20) that were pretty much the same car. So the t-bar is not really necessary. Extreme built quite a lot of GTS-versions so far - all without the t-bar. Check their website! As soon as I have the "patron" status I will post some pics, I have several of the GTS version here.

it makes no difference to the body of the car if you remove the T bar.there is no real reason to strengthen the sills but we still do it just for piece of mined.
    Toyota did do a limited run of convertable MRk 2 Mr2 SW20s which used the T Bar body
    If you used a normal hard top to convert then I would maybe agree but the T Bar Body is different,take a look on the microfish for the convertable and the T bar SW20 body structure

Thanks, Ashley! Yes, EXtreme did many GTS with no problems. Here's a pic of their GTS (so this is an eXtreme 355):

Attached Images Attached Images  

Ok, here we go. This is a picture of the 1990 that we use for the conversion. Hard to believe it will be a shiny 355 soon, eh? Well, the good thing with this kit is that most body parts will be replaced or covered - so just make sure that the main body parts and all mechanical parts are ok or replace them before you start. This MR2 I got is in very good shape - it came with a new windshield (not in the pic) and only the doors showed some rust (that was removed). The headlights are inside the car, same with the part that sits behind the front bumper.

ok...
    The first things to take off were the front fenders/ wings, the bonnet/hood, the headlamp tops, the bumpers, the mirrors, the plastic side strips, the petrol flap, rear side windows, the strip along the top, the boot, rear lights, the section between them...in the end you have to strip most of the car....lots of fun...hahahaha. But with the Build DVD that is easy, they show you step by step what to do!

more pics