Re: Ferrari 288 GTO Project

Bart;

Got it and thanks very much.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Update;

Spent a lot of yesterday and a bunch of today pulling the 328 panels out of the molds to see how they look. Pretty darn good overall. I think I am going to be easily able to start with these panels and build out the fender flares and additional items for the GTO.

I am pretty happy with the panels end to end. There are a few small flaws in some of the surfaces but nothing that a bit of putty is not going to easily fix.

I'll post a few here but I took quite a few so will not post all of them in respect for space and bandwidth on Ari and Dave. The panels still have the pvc mold release on them when taking the pics as I did not want to get the water running as it was a bit cold today.

I think these could be half way decent panels to sell to those interested. Only thing is there would be a bit of cleanup to do on the panels after getting them out of the molds.

I think I have also found a 2003 4.6 DOHC Ford engine out of a Mach I. Looks like buddy lost control and pushed in all the square corners. He says the engine still works well and it has 50k kms on it so still new. He had purchased the car for $30k a couple months before beating all the corners off. I think that could be a good starter for the engine portion of the build as well.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images       
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

More to come later tonight, I have a movie to watch right now. ;D

Edit: Movie was good.

A few more pics.

I actually, can't get the front nose mold off the panels. I am going to have to get some help from a friend to pull each end and get out the wedges etc. A bit of cleanup after that I am sure.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

A couple with the sail panel sitting loosely on the rear section.

I am looking forward to getting into this build once the 355 is done.

308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I had a look around for the dimensions of the SBC Chevy and the Ford 4.6 DOHC.

To my dismay, the SBC is about 29.5" long flywheel to front of the water pump. The best size estimates I got for the 4.6 DOHC are 36" long, 36"" wide and 44" tall.

I think the DOHC is going to be too long to fit in the engine bay of the custom frame....... especially if I want to shorten the wheelbase by 2" to get to the 96.5" the real GTO is.

I have always thought the SBC was about the same length of the DOHC, but the DOHC seems to be a long block. How could I miss that in all my research?????

Well, it just keeps pushing me back to either a 3400 V6 DOHC or keep the SBC in place unless I can find a shorter DOHC somewhere.

More reading I guess.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I think I said a few pages back it was to big but nobody ever listens to me. But it is always good to find out for yourself and I like the GTO idea good luck and I always enjoy looking at your build threads.
    www.kikkerbikes.com

looks great, keep up the nice progress
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

If you want a Ford engine that is shorter you could look at the Duratech 4.0 (280 HP) or 4.2 (300 HP) from a Jaguar. It is smaller in length to the 4.6. It will give you the DOHC and you can add a turbo if the wallet provides. I think Roush was providing this combination for 1GRacing's Noble 400 (now Rossin) They are also used in some of the Aston Martins

Bill

Mike (F355Spider)

I can honestly say I did not see or register your comment about it being too long. If I had, I would have been checking harder.... Sorry.

I'll keep digging around for alternatives since I have time. I still have access to a 3.4 DOHC V6 from a fellow here in Calgary as a resort but who knows what it will be by the time I am working on it.

I am working on my dash and door panels for the 355 right now so I should have progress in that thread later this week.

Been sick the past copuple day so this is as far as I have made it to my car this past week.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV