Page 2 of 113 FirstFirst 12341252102 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Re: My Next Project

Rob;

I have been following Gushotrod for the year or so that he has been doing the build over on Pennock's. I was going to get his plans from him when he was done but with his selling the frame I get a much better deal really as he has much more skill with the welder than I ever will.

Now I just finish off my current project and get down to Eugene to pick up the frame. Doug does not have a machine or frame shop just a lot of skill, a welder, a home made mandrel bender and a garage to work on the frame. He designed everything out in CAD and then set up a bench to lay the base metal tubes down to start the frame and built from there. Pretty sweet design and job from all the pictures I have seen. I am really looking forward to seeing it in person and bringing it home.

I think there is a lot that can be done with a frame like this one. The cockpit area is cut from a Fiero and welded around the frame he built so the screen, doors and roof section are the Fiero shape and that is pretty much where the similarities end.

I like the work you have been showing over on Pennock's with your designs. Very nice work on your part as well.

Take acre and talk to you soon.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

No contest between the two IMO.

Go with the Garra !

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud.......but the Garra is a copyrighted design of Wyatt Turner. His website is now on myspace under eighthdecay I think.

Mike

Not a stick in the mud at all. I have a draft contract from Wyatt right now to review to see if I can have him adjust the Garra to fit my frame design.

Not stealing anything here at all. Wyatt would be doing the design for the car if I go that way.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Congrats Don. I was hoping that it would go to a good home. I see it has. Can't wait to see it finished.

Bob
    Bob custom '84 Fiero SE --->>> custom F408
    http://www.madmechanics.com/forum/cu...ilepic37_1.gif

Quote Originally Posted by Don
    Not a stick in the mud at all. I have a draft contract from Wyatt right now to review to see if I can have him adjust the Garra to fit my frame design.

Not stealing anything here at all. Wyatt would be doing the design for the car if I go that way.

Cheers
    Don
    Unbelivable Don!!!

Please let me know when the chassis arrives. I would love to come over and see it. I am in Edmonton for the next few days but i'll email you when I get back. Say Hi to Wyatt for me. He and I chat quite a bit on the net. I think you will be extremely happy withi his work.
    The Needles Dance, The Gauges Glow,
    As Engine Speed & Heartbeat Grow,
    Gears They Shift 'Neath Anxious Thumbs,
    SOMETHING WICKED THIS WAY COMES...
    Formerly: Powerhouse

www.facebook.com/TheCalgaryBatman

Don, I'm sure glad you're at least thinking of doing the Garra. I talked with Wyatt 3 or 4 years ago and he had a pending deal in Europe on the car but that obviously fell through. That is too good a design to let sit. Go for it.

Mike

ps glad I didn't upset you either! ;D Thanks.

Hey Don, I got your e-mail. That's chassis is great to have for a one-off design. What powertrain was the 5" stretch originally intended for? I estimated that, in a Fiero chassis, a 3800/audi set-up would require a 9"-10" stretch. But in your custom chassis, I suppose you could move the firewall forward 4" and still make it all fit. Rob

turmite;

Nope, didn't make me mad as I would not be able to go trhrough the beautiful motions that Wyatt is so good at anyway..... 8) I can cut and reshape pretty well to get my thoughts in foam for smaller items but having a design to start from will be much easier to work with than ground up if I go that way. It really is a beautiful design and I quite like it. I think my final decision will depend a lot on how it ends up looking against the revised placement of the windshield and roof lines etc. The Garra has quite a forward placed screen so I need to see what it will look like with the new placement.

Rob (Amida);

Good to see you got my email. Interested?

The frame is designed for a 5" stretch and has a Porsche trans mated to a Chev V8. It all fits in there as you can see through the Pennock's build where Doug had everything sitting in the frame a couple times. He has done such a nice job on the frame and design.

For everyone to see the process Doug went through to put this frame together here is a link to his build thread. Be warned though you will need a few hours to read through it all as the thread is long and once you start, you won't wnat to stop.

http://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/048610.html

Okay, I have to go out to the garage now and get the passenger door on my current kit sorted out as it warped on me when I removed the coke bottle shape so I have about 1" mismatch at the top rear of the door to get sorted out today.

Once that is done, I am really and truly ready to start finsih sanding my body getting ready for paint. It is getting so close.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Wow, I'm so glad that chassis stayed somewhere I can keep my eye on it. Gus was doing such amazing work, and it would have made a very nice fiero, but I'm glad you'll be making it into something more exotic.