Page 60 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270110 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

Hey Don no8 is right look into having the parts Hydro Dipped Or getting one of the Hydro Dipping Kits and trying it yourself. My Dip Kit - Water Transfer Printing -- Camo Dip Kits - Car Diping Kits - Home Hydrographics Kit, Hydro Dipping Film, DIY Water Transfer Printing Film, Activator, Camo and Dash Kits, Camouflage, Hunting, Carbon Fiber, DIY camo make a home kit for doing it yourself. here's a link to the vid page for them. MyDipKit - DIY Hydrographics Dipping My Dip Kit - YouTube

Kevin

I have seen that process. It looks very interesting and fascinating. I don't know where I would get that done on the West Coast though. I am not sure I would do a very good job on it myself.

I can certainly look into it for around me. I am getting to the point where I might just go with the Di-Noc vinyl if I don't get it sorted out this weekend. One last try. I have too many other littel things to get finished to spend too much more time on this task....

Thanks for the ideas folks.
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

More progress this weekend. we had a long weekend up here this past weekend so had tome to get out and play.

I decided to go after my headlight buckets next as they are the messiest and once they are done, I can clean out the garage really well and call it a day for heavy fiberglass dust. And a pile of dust I did make this weekend.

I decided I wanted to have more stable headlights s I ended up taking some jigs off the better of the two buckets, the passenger side and then tore the Fiero plastic pivot setup out. It was always flimsy the way I have it rigged and the driver side was different than the passenger side with different angles so when the headlight raised, it was at a different height. Always bothered me.. I decided to make the two buckets as close to each other as I could.

That meant closing in the passenger bottom and back to create a more stable bucket. I used an old centre console flat fiberglass sheets and cut and glassed them all together to give me the full enclosed bucket and then I went to work on the fascia... Again. Over time it had warped a bit so I need ed to cut and paste both of them back together to fit nicely up against the now, solid buckets. When the buckets were just top and sides, the bottom of the fascias pushed the sides in and I never did like that.

I lot of work and fiberglassing and bondoing later, I have a passenger side bucket pretty much ready for final sanding and touch up before primer and paint and the driver's side, underway. All the panels have been glassed in place and I now need to go at it with a sanding block , 80 and 100 grit and some duraglas to get the base in place before going for the final putty filler. I hope to have the headlights remounted into the car by the end of the week.

I will also be replicating the jig for the other bucket so I can get the pivots into the same locations and therefore same lifting geometries.

Fiberglassing wasn't horrible this weekend. I pretty much wore a mask for two straight days thought and it seemed to really help with not felling crappy at the end of it.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Only three of the five pics showed up tonight. Wonder if I have them set too big??

Anyway, last two pics are the driver's under construction and the passenger ready for final light bondo work and making of the metal headlight pivots

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Those look great Don!
    Glad the mask makes for a better glassing experience for you. ALWAYS wear your mask working with this stuff. If you don't have one already, an exhaust fan, even a small one that just takes the fumes-dust-whatever, somewhere else will also help. Really can't be too careful with the stuff, and it CAN wreck your health, then you wouldn't be able to finish and enjoy your 308! So take all the precautions available, we not only want to see this one finished, but lots of pictures of your driving it too.

Amazing how close your buckets are to the "the real deal", can't praise your work enough.

Thanks for bringing us up to speed on the project, here's a comparison pic I saved for referance:

Keep up the great work, and posts!
    Name:  hdbs.jpg
Views: 582
Size:  5.9 KB

Nice work Don as always. Give us a pic when you get them mounted.

I see you have 2 Dewalt drills. One for each hand no doubt!

Thanks guys;

I wanted the headlight buckets to be very close to oem but needed them to be wider due to the wider fender tops I have from the replica. I will be working on the driver's side tonight and hopefully will have that one into finish bondo tonight.

I then ned to get into the matel working to make up new pivot points that will fit into the Fiero headlight frames and also attach to the buckets properly.

More to come now that I am back in the saddle again.....

Cheers
    Don

BTW: Drills are screwdriver and drill so I don't have to exchange all the time.....
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looking good Don, nice to see motivation behind the project again.

Fingers crossed your done with the worst of the grp work.

Cheers

Let's hope so plasticfantastic. I am still itching from the weekend. Even suiting up you still get that crap in everywhere.....

Decided to take a break from the fiberglass sanding and resin so I don't overdo it and went after a bit of metal working for the pivots tonight. I got the passenger side pivots designed, built and bolted on temporarily so I could see how everything fits in the hole and under what will be the fender grills.

Turned out pretty well. I think I will need to adjust the pivots down about 1/8-3/16" though so I get a bit more play in the headlight motor frame mounts. The mounts are up at the top of the bolts now so no more pay room and I still need to get the inside edge up another little bit to sit flush with the inner fender lip when down. I can go after it with a file on the bolt washer holding the inside of the frame on or adjust the headlight bucket a bit. Haven't decided yet.... I will make the call when io go back out tomorrow night to do a final fitment and make the pushrod for headlight bucket and the open stop pins.

A few pics.

Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Very neatly done mate.