Page 64 of 114 FirstFirst ... 1454626364656674 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 288 GTO - BUILD - Project

It’s a shame the fiberglass work gives you such health issues Don. You are getting very good at it. The headlight buckets look top notch!

Yeah, it is disappointing but I have a guy in Wayne that is not afraid of cutting stuff off and rebuilding now so I can still get my crafting fix without the mess....hahahaha .

This 308 needs some wiring now in the interior and hen I can start to button it up. Looking forward to that once I am back from Phoenix.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Wayne and I pulled the bucks out of the molds and the buckets molds turned out great. The fascias, however, ended up getting mottled the same as my 355 fascia molds did back in the day. Something about fascias that just don't work for me. Wayne has taken the fascia molds and is going to grind the mottled areas out and refill with some duraglas and smooth them out. I will use the molds to make a new set of fascias.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Wayne and I received our EVM Rob replacement tail lights and thought I would share for the other 308 builders out there needing some tail lights.

In a simple sentence, They are outstanding.

Rob reconfigured the molds to make two separate pieces that sandwich the tail panel between them with two screws and nuts.

I rough fit them on to my tail panel to have a look and they cover up my existing holes perfectly and we easy to dry fit into the panel. We just need to go get some 1/16" rubber sheet to place in between the outer shell and the panel to stop rubbing and scratching.

The two pieces are well made and look great,. Even go so far as to have the Carello lettering in the lenses. The turn signal has the white inner reverse section with the tube to separate it from the turn signal.

I would certainly recommend these to anyone needing a set.

A few pics to show the lenses and a rough install.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

They do look great Don!

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    Wayne and I received our EVM Rob replacement tail lights and thought I would share for the other 308 builders out there needing some tail lights.

I would certainly recommend these to anyone needing a set.

Cheers
    Don
    I'd hold off on that recommendation. Rob promised to replace a set that faded and haven't received or heard anything yet. That was a few weeks ago and 4 e-mails to him already.

I am back at the proejct again after quite a hiatus. I wrote out a page of low level items that need finalizing or building to get the car road worthy. Plan on working through as much as I can through May to target on the road this summer. We will see what ends up happening.

I ordered a second set of turn signal tail lights from EVM_Rob to replace the two I "borrowed" from Wayne..... He said 10-12 business days turn around and then shipping so we will see where it goes. We received the others so I always give everyone the benefit of the doubt.

I started the list with the front clip area. I want to get it all buttoned up and installed so i can do the final line up with all my other pieces. I went and grabbed the windscreen to make sure everything still fit after final prep and paint. the front clip and screen surround were finished separately so there ended up being a few interference issues with the driver's side rear fender to the a-pillar. When I matched the a-pillar panel to the screen tray, I filled in the lower area and I ended up filling it in a bit to much. I ground my fender lip back as much as I could but still have too close of a tolerance that would end up rubbing with car and panel movement so I needed to take my Dremel and grind the a-pillar down a bit at the interference point. So far, I have interference with the lower rear doors and the door jambs and this driver's a-pillar. Not too bad overall and a pretty quick grind, cleanup and paint as all the areas are not out n the open too much and can be feathered in with some polishing.

I ground everything out and then attached the lower driver's panel lower mount to get a look at how everything fit and moved. I now need to weld in new mounting plates for the fender tops where the new trunk opening is to secure those to the car. I added in new, wider rain rails so I now need to add the mounting tab back on. Easily done, just need to mark it out and take the clip back off and weld the plates on and put some blind nuts in to act as mounts.

I also remade my front trunk latches as the one side was too short at first. I added about 1/2" to the height of one and went to fit it and realized it was the wrong side.... Now I get to make the other one and redo the one I remade to the shorter size again......

Tonight I will finish the latches and move on to the next item on the list on the front clip area.

The car is looking really good overall though. Looking forward to getting that screen in permanently and finishing off the interior. A few pics of the work.

Cheers
    Don
    Attached Images Attached Images      
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looking really good Don, Keep chipping away at it, the light is at the end of the tunnel now!

Cant wait to see pics of her on the road.

Cheers

"I also remade my front trunk latches as the one side was too short at first. I added about 1/2" to the height of one and went to fit it and realized it was the wrong side.... Now I get to make the other one and redo the one I remade to the shorter size again......"

Ha ha ha .... yea Don, Sounds like something I would do.

I know the saying says - measure twice cut once.

Not measure last week and cut it 2 times and still too short…………… Oh well, join the club!

Welcome back Don!

Looking forward to seeing/hearing about your progress.

You are so close now!

Also waiting to see how things turn out with Rob's lights. I have a couple issues with the ones I got from him, but didn't know if it would be worth the effort to pursue a remedy.

Keep us posted.

TDW