Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Ferrari 246 Dino GT replica on Fiero (build Diary)

Ferrari 246 Dino GT replica on Fiero (build Diary)

Any of you that knows a bit about Dino replicas probably already knows that the most popular kits out there where the VW based Kelmark, the MagnumGT and the Fiero based kit (I think was called the Roma). As far as accuracy goes none of them where very accurate to the original, the Kelmark being the least of which. The Magnum is probably the most sought after and I was fortunate enough to run across one for sell dirt cheap a while back in my local classifieds paper. The car was owned by a hillbilly guy that really didn’t even know what he had. It was in really bad shape mechanically and the interior was trashed. It was built on a VW pan with all VW mechanicals. I got started restoring the car. The car was white when I got it and I sanded it all down and repainted the car red. I rebuilt the engine and fixed up the interior with new seats, custom made door panels and new carpet. After it was all finished I had a really nice looking Dino replica. But it was still a VW Beetle underneath the flashy red exterior. Its sad that so many exotic looking cars were built on VW frames back before the days of the Fiero. So I had the car that would turn heads but could be blown off the road by your average minivan. That car was very weak (when it ran at all). I was very disappointed. I loved the look of the car but everything else about was crap. One day soon after the car was completed it was sitting next to my Fiero and I got out the measuring tape and started taking measurements on both cars. I was happy to find out that the wheelbase on the Fiero was less than an inch off the Magnums wheelbase. That settled it for me. I cut the Dino body off the beetle pan and removed it in one piece with all doors and lids still attached. I just removed the glass and light to reduce the weight and make the removal A little easier. After that it was just a matter of prepping the Fiero for the first test fit. I had already built a Countach kit and figured the same frame prep would be a good place to start. That being the case I removed the Fiero body, doors, windshield and rear glass. I cut off the front of the frame just ahead of the front wheels, the roof and trunk. Once the frame was cut down I braced the sides of the frame with 1X2” steel just as I did on the Countach kit. Once all of this was done I hoisted up the Dino body and parked the Fiero frame underneath. I slowly lowered the body and everything fit on the first try with the exception of the rear firewall. Fiero firewall was too wide at the top and had to be cut down on sides. In other words, the top of the firewall needed to be angled on the ends instead of squared off because the roofline on the Dino body is narrower than the Fiero. Once that was all cut and reinforced I lowered the body again and presto! I think this may very well be the only Magnum GT Dino replica on a Fiero frame. More info and pics to come…….. Stay tuned!

Re: Ferrari 246 Dino GT replica on Fiero (build Diary)

Once I decided to rebuild this car on a Fiero frame I also decided to take the opportunity to make some modifications to get the car more accurate. Some things you can see from the above pic are the addition of the vent holes cut behind the side windows in the sail panels. I also moved the gas filler cap to the sail panel just like the original car. I am also fiber glassing over the holes where the original side marker lights were. I purchased a set of early fiat side markers that I will be installing in their place. The markers I got came off a Fiat 850 if memory serves. They are almost identical to the Dino's. Another easy mod was made to the vent window frames. The original Magnum GT frames were painted black. They are chrome on the real Dino. I sanded all the paint off to find they were made from aluminum. This made the change easy. After removing the paint I just wet sanded the aluminum with progressively finer sandpaper to remove any scratches and sand marks then buffed the frames to a mirror like finish with machine polish.

The orange car is that one of those ww2 jeeps from germany?

Yep. Its a VW "Thing" that belonged to my uncle.

Nice work.

I always thought the Magnum was one of the better replicas of the Dino. I find the Fiero replica to have too flat of a roof and not sloped toward the back like the Magnuim does.

Good luck with the conversion as it is looking nice.

Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

Looking good.. Now throw a 3.8 V6 in the rear and you will be not only be able to take those pesky 240hp minivan's down, but a lot of pickup's as well.. Those crazy pickup guys always try and race.. ???

I will probably go with the 2.8, for now at least. Anything will be better than a little, put-put VW beetle engine. It was crime having that thing in this body! After all, the stock 2.8 is very comparable to the real Dino engine. Not to mention how much lighter this car is now compared to the Fiero. I have driven up and down my street a few times as it is and it was noticeably quicker than when it was a stock Fiero.

this is a beautiful car. What are you using for rear lights (signal, brake, backup).

Jack

Very nice Dino. A good example of one of the few Ferraris that never bore a prancing horse, the traditional badge on the front is replaced by a dino script badge in tribute to his son.

michael
    Building a F40 replica, 4.9 caddy, 5 speed.

Quote Originally Posted by punkit
    this is a beautiful car. What are you using for rear lights (signal, brake, backup).

Jack
    Thanks. I will be using Opel GT rear lights. Very similar to the Dinos but much cheaper. I have a set of old Fiat side markers for the front and rear. They look indentical to Dino markers. I think they came off a 70's Fiat 850. Its been a while since I bought them, I could be wrong.

I will be working on this car alot after Christmas. New pics will follow.