Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tube Chassis Build

Tube Chassis Build

The image above is my tube chassis. I will be using my mid-engine subframe - VW powered.

The front suspension is a Held Motorsports Sport Front Suspension.

Anyway, I just wanted to share a photo of the build since I've had so much help with information on this board...
    more to follow!

The car will be 105" wheelbase - 53" wide - rather large for a "sportscar" of this kind... but I'm tired of the cramped confines of other sports cars. I built this so two 200+ lb guys can actually get in and out of it - as well as be comfortable driving.
    ... and yes, my plan is to build these frames for others to build their own cars... I will offer a beam axle front option as well as an IFS Other options will be water-cooled engines from FWD, transverse engine cars... and ultimately small block V8 power. And since I have Fieros to utilize, I am considering a single-donor style frame that utilizes the fiero drivetrain, front and rear suspension, etc..
    Like many things, time and market demand will dictate the final configuration.

looking for comments / critque / etc.

email me if you'd like to see more.
    dave@team321.com

Re: Tube Chassis Build

Looks great!

A bit like the Nick Smart designed Ariel Atom.

I looked to see how much those were over here and think that the $75k for the top of the range one is a bit over excessive!

Having built a Westfield SE (Lotus 7 replica) in the past, I've considered doing something like this from scratch myself at some point in the future.

Looking at Ariels waiting list, I think you could be on to a real winner!

Keep posting the pics. It will be good to see how this progresses!

Looks great, and I think it will be the home built version of the Ariel, which I think is far more appealing as a concept anyway (or shell out 40 to 60k for a car that isn't too useful outside of a track).
    Professional 3D, web, graphic, architectural, interior, and CAM design at affoardable prices.<br />Any questions: voicemail/fax (323)281-0583<br />sales @ rt-network.com

very nice looking, what crossmember is that from in the front?

front crossmember is out of a Fiero... I had an extra one along with a Held Motorsports wide track, so it was easy.

I'm not sure if I'll integrate a purpose-built front suspension into the design or rely on factory units... time will tell.

I have had a great deal of positive feedback from the Custom VW crowd, so I will likely build a VW front beam axle option too.

My goal ( besides getting this one on the road ) is to offer frames that allow for single donor builds... like a Fiero, VW, etc...
    This would allow someone with a running Fiero to install the complete front suspension crossmember, rear cradle / suspension and steering column. This will result in ( hopefully ) a quickly assembled rolling chassis.

that's the plan anyway... feel free to express your thoughts.
    dave
    Cocoa Beach FL
    http://www.team321.com

I'm curious as to what body style you are going to use for your chassis?

I am considering building my own car as well, but I need to do a ton of research...I need to start with the chassis. I to make the build easier.

Good luck,
    Joe

I have been away for awhile, but I have been working on the car. Here is a link to some photos - they are about a month behind... Since then I have installed most of the wiring harness and mounted the transaxle.

http://www.team321.com/tubechassis/t...ssisbuild.html

I think I have reconsidered my engine choice... now I'm looking into a turbo rotary engine... high-revs and light weight. You can also get 200+ hp pretty easily... and up to 50 with a little porting and add-ons. In a 1200 pound car, this should be plenty.

As far as a body for the car... I want to keep things as minimal as possible. The front will likely be covered and I will probably add removable triangular panels along the side.

This is not a car for the daily driver market - rather a four wheeled motorcyle... kinda like a go-cart for grownups.

dave
    http://www.team321.com
    Cocoa Beach FL

Nice project Mr Held.. Its neat to see you back at the forum with a new project.. Is this something you plan on going into production with if there is a lot of interest? I want mine with a Neon SRT-4 turbo engine in the back ;D That would blow the Atom off the road..

I have had many rotary engines and you can get a lot of power out of them. I actually have one of my old 1979 Rx7 12a rotary engines sitting in my garage right now. The rotary would be a neat engine in a light car such as this, but they are a bit expensive to fix and modify.

Nice project! Can you share the model # of the front shocks you used? Springs and rate too.

There are a few of us that have the Held front tubular and would like something other than Carerra shocks.

Thanks

Dave what is the width of the Held Motorsports wide track hub to hub? thanks Luke