Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Dale's Koenig build progress

Dale's Koenig build progress

Some of you may wonder, with my build 80% done, why is he just starting a build thread now? I guess I just was not in the habit of posting pics and info as I progressed. Another excuse is when I started into this build, computers had not been invented! ;D
    I don't have a lot of pics or recorded info, but I will go with what I got. If I vanish for months at a time it is because I went to the beach. Here is some history:
    I first noticed Mr. Koenigs work in a copy of a magazine called Topwheels back in '85. I loved that Koenig Testarossa and since I was into customizing cars wondered if I could make a Corvette or Mustang look like that. As I looked deeper into kitcars I did find some TR and Koenig versions becomming available. However the idea of attaching them to a lowly 4 or 6 cylinder Fiero turned me off for a few years. In my search for info I was led to the office of Jack Lugas in Tampa.[Lucas International] The sight of unfinished projects plus the smell of BS.... and I was turned off even more. A few more years passed as I completed various Corvette customs and Shelby restorations, but never forgot that Koenig TR. Finally I saw a Koenig body for sale in Calgary, Canada. Since I am in eastern Canada I wouldn't have to deal with border tarrifs or importation restrictions. The body was owned by a former employee of CK3 so I didn't have to deal with the the northern cloned brother of Jack Lugas [Blaine Kennedy] I bought the body and had it shipped to PEI. I bought a rust free Fiero/unfinished TR project in West Virginia. I stripped the TR body from the Fiero and took it to the kitcar show in Carlisle, Pa. I took a damaged 4.9 powered Cadillac on trade for the body.
    A mechanic friend helped me install the Cadillac V-8 into the Fiero. For ease of application I used the Caddy 4 speed automatic and modified the Cadillac cradle to fit the Fiero. Everything else I done myself except buying Mr.Mikes leather kit and a few kit/Ferrari pieces here and there.
    Here comes some pics....................
    And the joke is,<br />when he awoke his,<br />body was covered in Coke fizz !

Re: Dale's Koenig build progress

Pic of cradle. I cut the Caddy front mounts off and installed arms to attach to stock Fiero mounting points.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Upper rear suspension. Widened. Hand made shock towers.

Body hung

A lot of work done at this point. Wipers, lights, wiring, mirrors, dash.The car runs and drives. I have made many late night test runs up and down my road. I say road, not street as I am in the country.
    Those are Cobra "R" wheels

Dash extension, Trevor glass. Working Neon wipers.

Primer on body. Sanded out with 400

Latest project. Building Tail light louvers from aluminum.

That kit looks fantastic. You can really see and appreciate the work that has gone in to it so far. Keep 'em coming

Hex screen just like Ferrari [and Funnywheels] uses.