Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: My AD355 Spider - Now a coupe build

My AD355 Spider - Now a coupe build

Finally after many years of waiting, saving money, collecting parts and the sale of my last kit, I am about to start my AD355 spider coupe build up. I am using an Air Dynamics stretched kit and extended windshield that uses OEM style rear quarters and lower door vents and of course all of the high quality panels that everyone already knows about. The donor is a non running but fully loaded 1986 Fiero SE with a V6 & 4-speed. I also have a lot of real Ferrari parts which will be incorporated into the build. My plan is to use many of the things that I have learned from my previous build of an IFG cloned 355 spider and help from everyone on this site.

Cutting off the roof section makes for a very weak Fiero therefore stiffening the chassis is a must and will be my first concern. I will be using many of the tried and true techniques and adding in a few of my own. I want to have little to no bend or twist in the chassis under driving loads. I have two engines that I can use; a 3800 super charged V6 or a 4.9 Cadillac alum. V8. The 4-speed manual transmission will be tossed for either a 5 or possibly even a 6 speed. I may even install the engine longitudinally if I get ambitious enough and can make it fit. For the front suspension, I am planning on using the stock control arms, coil overs and stretching the front cross-member to match the width needed. The rear suspension will either use the stock control arm or possibly a bump steer kit. The frame rails will also be moved out to widen the car. Stopping the car will be done with corvette 12” rotors and calipers. The rims are original 18” 355 rims with BFGoodrich directional tires. The top will operate similar to the original and will be weather tight. The interior will look as close to the original 355 as possible and the paint will be black so extra time will be spent to get each and every panel just perfect.

The first step… dismantling of the donor car….
    Attached Images Attached Images   

Re: My AD355 Spider build

Sounds like an ambitious build. Keep us informed with status and pictures.

Shane

PS. If you want to be more OEM, then the roof should NOT be weather tight or even open and close.

Awesome!! Keep us up to date!! I followed your last build closely. My AD355 should be back home soon.

Well alright!

I have waited a long time with you as well. Please keep me in the loop. I will help any way I can. It is going to be one of the great ones.

Dave
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

I suggest you do your engine/transaxle swap before you install the body. Everything is harder to access once the body is on.
    Even the longest journey begins with the first step.

Brastic... what was I thinking!!

DeLorean00.. yours is that coupe that is coming along rather nicely if I remember correctly, right?

FerrariFan.. thanks! my plan is to install all of the bracing and then after that attack the engine/trans.

I will be posting lots of photos as I go through the build. I just started to take the Fiero apart and there really isnt any point of taking to many photos of that...

if anyone needs any Fiero parts let me know BEFORE they get tossed in the next week or so.

Wow, you are pulling apart a perfectly good fiero with the aero package on it? Those can fetch pretty good money still, even though it is a notchback. I bought a 85 GT a year ago, fixed it up and got $5k for it. Seems like there ought to be some crappers out there for cheap. Good luck on your build, we will all be following your posts. I have hardcopy of your first build on the internet some 8 years ago now, but this one ought to be a beauty. Eric

Eric,
    This one is not really worth fixing. The engine is dead and who knows what else it needs. I am going too offer the panels on the PFF forum and here.... The panels themself are in "okay" condition. Funny that you kept a hardopy of the old build. I dont even have a copy of that. Care to copy a set for me? I will pay you for your trouble.

It is amazing what a weekend to do for a project!!! The question has been answered... it is possible to remove the engine and tranny from the top!!

Now you have seen a Fiero with 2 engines also