Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: FunnyWheels Turbo Ideas

FunnyWheels Turbo Ideas

I am in the process of adding a turbo or two to my L36, 3800 V-6 engine. The plan is to mount a turbo to the exhaust port facing the rear of the car piping the turbo exhaust through my existing muffler; no catalytic converters will be used in the process.

The fresh air intake will come from the door scoops fed into a common air box, piped into the turbo intake. Compressed air will then flow through an intercooler mounted just below the deck lid area into the throttle body. Blow of valves are to be placed between the intercooler and throttle body, a waste gate is built into the turbo. I plan to run between 10 lbs and 12 lbs boost. I have installed larger injectors in the engine. The turbo to be used is from a Mitsubishi or Volvo T3/4 modified to fit my application. (They are preset for 7 lbs boost from the factory).

Has anyone actually installed a turbo on any engine that might have a few ideas for me?

I need to also add a different ECU and change the cam profile to suit this application.
    If you're not confused, you're not paying attention.

Re: Turbo Ideas

Wouldn't it be a good idea to start with a supercharged engine? I believe that they have a stronger bottom end, and wouldn't the cam be good right off?

Quote Originally Posted by dratts1
    Wouldn't it be a good idea to start with a supercharged engine? I believe that they have a stronger bottom end, and wouldn't the cam be good right off?
    There are two versions of the 3800 Series II. The first is known by the GM option code L36 and is the naturally aspirated version found in the Buick, Camero, Grand Prix GT, and Firebird. That is the one I have in FunnyWheels. The second is the L67 which powers the Grand Prix GTP, Regal LS, and others. The L67 is designed to be used in conjunction with a factory Eaton supercharger running 8 psi boost which makes the L67 produce 240 horsepower @ 5200 rpm and 280 ft-lbs of torque @ 3600 rpm. While the block is the same for the two engines, some of the parts are different, including pistons, connecting rods, rings, main bearings, crankshaft balancer, flywheel and camshaft. The L36 uses a thin skirted piston to achieve 9.4:1 compression, while the L67 has a stronger but lower clearance piston that produces 8.5:1 compression. The piston skirt on the L36 with the connecting rod assemble weighs the same as the L67 so the crankshafts can retain the same balance.

While the L36 has gotten much praise for it's beefy low-end torque and excellent reliability, it's not designed to handle insane amounts of compression caused by blowers pumping in huge volumes of air. Many people have put Belt driven 9 psi external supercharger kits on a stock L36 with no problems but pushing it more than 9 psi is when you get into questionable territory if used for racing purposes. The approach I'm taking with a Garrett turbo is to have a strong V6 running 10-12 psi to produce less than massive amounts of power like for drag racing but very street usable power and better gas mileage. There is no way the stock internals would stand up to 15- 20 lbs of boost and that sort of abuse, so I decided to go with less boost rather than strengthen up the bottom end. It would have to be rebuilt from the ground up using nothing but high performance parts. A very expensive proposition indeed.

Here is the challenge when building a race engine rather than a Sunday go to the beach car. The L67 piston assemblies required are listed below. Prices are from www.gmpartsdirect.com but do not include shipping.

L67 Part GM Part Number Price (each) A matched set of six are required
    Connecting Rod Part #24502895 $35.40
    Piston Part #12539085 $43.35
    Ring Kit Per Piston Part #12480825 $17.85
    Main Bearing Kit Part #12480819 $88.20
    Rod Bearings Part # Dealer $17.20

So each L67 piston assembly is $111.30 and you can get all six for $667.80. Not a bad deal for piston assemblies that are lower compression and a little stronger than the L36 pistons and rods. Note that if you plan to install L67 pistons you MUST get the entire assembly--i.e. an L67 piston will not fit on an L36 rod. I still need a different camshaft profile and a total rebuild. I have decided to use the L36 with the 9.4:1 and not beat it to death. I feel comfortable that it will work out just fine for my needs.

Dave
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Turbo

Intercooler Position Mock Up

Intake

Dave,
    Quite a job you got ahead of you. I put together a turbo in my quad-4 3X. I always had the problem of the exhaust manifolds cracking from the stress of mounting the turbo rigid to the exhaust mans. Make sure you use good quality flex couplings, and also size your oil drain as large as you can get it. That looks like a fun project, great addition to Funnywheels. Eric

Dave, it sound like you have been doing some homework. I used to build my own turbo set-ups in the carburator days. Be careful running more than 9:1 compression if boosting higher than about 10psi. You will get away with it for short periods of time but longer duration boost that high will show you what the inside of your pistons will look like, especially if you are running the slightest bit lean. Try to error on the rich side as the boost increases or lower you compression.

so if I can keep the boost between 7 and 19 lbs do you think the engine would be ok for intown driving?

You know, you might want to take a look at Ryan's personal car over at Sinister Performance.
    http://dtcc.cz28.com/87fiero/
    He did kind of a mix and match with the L36, LC2, and L67 parts. He was running about 15 lb.s of boost if I remember right. Car ran low 12's at 113 and was very streetable.