Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SCUDERO PROJECT, Building from scratch.

SCUDERO PROJECT, Building from scratch.

Hi Guys

I finally decided to show you my work in progress.
    After years of talking and meeting really tallented people who made their cars from scratch I decided to start my own.
    Right now IŽm building a full size sport car. I will give the codename "SCUDERO" to avoid any issues with my inspiration car (youŽll figure out which car is it).
    I started this project 2 months ago, it started as a hobby to use my spare time in the afternoons. some friends helped me out a lot in the process, but 2 friends got also involved helping me with the project everyday, both industrial designers as me.
    We share the passion for cars and we are sharing good time making it, their help is really invaluable, making this kind of project more interesting, sharing with them good moments.

First of all, I bought a set of wheels in a junk yard, the same BBS Wheels used in the Challenge stradale.
    Then we welded a provisional steel frame to make the body with styrofoam. this frame is not part of the car itself, it just helps to hold the parts of the car, at the end we are going to cut it and make a grill for one of my friends, to make a big BBQ to celebrate the making of the car.

Having the frame welded together, we made the "stereotomy" of the model, it means we sliced the model each 2" in a transverse cut, to get the shape of the slices, and then join them together. the bad part is that the front bumper was too difficult to make this way, so we made it in a traditional way, measuring the 1:18 model I bought for the purpose.

at the beginning it didnŽt had any form, when we completed (the first time) it looked more like a Lancer evolution bumper, because the air intakes were too big. so we decided to start again, and corrected the problem but not completely, as all the intakes but mostly the central intake was to tall.

We decided to continue with the front fenders and hood, and resolve that front bumper later, we needed to see some advance to get some motivation to follow up with the project. we started cutting the styrofoam slices to start building the fenders. we had a really hard time aligning all the parts to get a continuous curve for the fender, but since the moment we sanded the excess of styrofoam the form changed a lot into a more realistic part of the car.

Re: SCUDERO PROJECT, Building from scratch.

Are those Recaro seats in the first pic?

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmeansgo
    Are those Recaro seats in the first pic?
    LOL ;D I had to visualize it! that was the only way to actually seat and dream of driving it!

We needed the hood to align both fenders, so we cutted the form of the hood and installed it to align them. then we started to have problems again, because the rest slices of the fender were not installed over the bumper, they had no support under the slices, and we needed something to glue them in the right place, so we decided to make the doors, and the fender part that was next to the door, so we could have some reference to glue the slices over the tire in the correct heights.

At this part we realized that one of the frame tubes was in the way of the fender, where the pillar base is located. so we cutted and welded the pillar in the correct position to solve the problem.

All this was made in 5 weeks, after finding this problem in the frame, we did a revision of the frame heights and measures, to check again if everything was going on tracks, or if we made another mistake, and we found that the back part of the frame was 2" higher than it was suposed to be, so we took our time to measure again, and position it in the correct height.

Looks like another one of SuperReplicas fine replicas.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpower
    No, It´s not.

I´m not related to them in any way.

I´m a industrial designer building a sports car for my own use, so please don´t be confused, I´m posting it here to show my work, not to sell it here.

After making lots of sparks and correcting this by cutting and welding in the correct place, we made the rear fenders, this were also a challenge, because most of it didn´t had any base to stand in the floor, and it was quite relaxing to see it worked out just fine without any problems.

Until here, the car looks a lot better, more complete, we are more motivated of seeing it with most of the panels added to the frame.
    But we still have the problem of the front bumper, it doesn´t look good, doesn´t look like it should be. we are going to take measures again to correct this problem, because the front of the car is the most attractive part to me.

this is the actual update of my project until today, I´m going to ask for 3 weeks of vacations, and hope to make more advance on the remaining panels, because now we are only working from 2 to 4 hours in the afternoons, and we can make even more if we work more complete days in it.

I´m planning to seal the styrofoam with vinyl paint, so the bondo doesn´t eat it, a friend of mine told me about a sealant specially formulated for foam, but I cannot buy it locally, if you have any ideas of a cheap way to seal it, please let me know.

Best regards

JELP

This looks good. I want to know if the bumper is the correct dimension?

TTT

I have heard that you can protect the foam with latex paint.

Quote Originally Posted by GTOpower
    morale, the beginning is very good!
    The difference is that they supereplicas try to sell as perfect replicas four welded pipes with tires at the sides and this is a personal project, already beginning to take body ....
    I also like the seats of the first photo, lol