Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fraud Alert!!! for who are selling parts

Fraud Alert!!! for who are selling parts

During the month of Dec-Jan I've been recieving emails about a purchase of my kits. The email outlines a check with an amount exceeding the purchase price. Once deposit in to the bank account the remaining amount is taken out and sent to a shipping company with unknow orgin?? through western union. Beware of this scam if you are selling parts on ebay or here.

Heres a sample of the email thats been going around:

Good, I am interested in buying the item. I will be glad if you can end the auction for me, then i will pay righht away. The price is okay by me and i will be responsible for the shipping. Would you accept Bank Certified Cheque as means of payment? if so, email me with the Name and Address as well as your direct contact phone number that you will want the cheque to be mail to via UPS STANDARD OVERNIGHT, and i will issue it right away. I want you to end the
    Auction, then i will pay right away. Looking forward to read from you in not time. Thanks McBride

Once replyed to email you get this:

Thanks for getting back to me with the informations, i want to asure you that the cheque will be issue and send to you in no time. I reside in Ontario but i want to let you know that, the shipping agency will be comming from LONDON, ENGLAND. That is where the item is been needed. after you might have recieve and cash the Cheque, the agency will come for the pick up of the item from your location down to the final destination.

I will keep you posted as regards the cheque later tomorrow morning.

Thanks
    McBride

At which time you recieve a following email of instructions what to do with the cheque. Deposit it in to your account then take the remaining balance from it and send the rest of the money to some person that they say is the name of the shipping company.

I've recieved a check from this guy thinking nothing of it, just another customer wanting a kit. But something seemed odd when looking at the return address, it can from Saint Paul church, Santa monica CA, but the check is from ontario canada from a small business with a name signed on the check that doesnt match any person owning or working there.

This guy thinks I'm stupid and will fall for his scam. If this check were to be deposit it would have caused a whole lot of trouble for me. This guy wasted alot of my time

TOO ALL WHO ARE SELLING PARTS BECAREFUL OF THIS SCAMMER AND READ YOUR EMAIL CAREFULLY, HIS EMAILS ARE THE SAME STYLE JUST DIFFERENT NAMES, DONT BE FOOLED BY THIS LOWLIFE!!

Re: Fraud Alert!!! for who are selling parts

There are several similar scams of the same nature that you have to watch out for.. This one is new to me and very thought out and is almost believable.. Scary!!.. How much were you susposed to wire to the scam artist for the shipping?

I bet this is someone from Canada (probably Eastern Canada) they are the only ones that write check like this:

..."Would you accept Bank Certified Cheque "

;D

STAY AWAY FROM THIS DEAL! I guarantee you that 'certified' check is bad. I've been there - guess what happens: The certified check is bogus, I'm sure it's printed on watermarked paper from a real bank, and even though it looks real, it's somehow fraudulent. You cash it at your bank, wire him the money, and all seems well. About 2 weeks later, the check will bounce, at which time, the bank withdraws the amount from your account. In addition, they probably bill you $25. In the meantime, the guy receives the wired payment, which can essentially be retrieved anonymously. The guy disappears, and you're out the amount you paid him, plus bank fees, plus the cost of the money wiring.

The notion of a 'certified' check is absolutely absurd. They work like any other check, and take up to 3 weeks to actually clear. The reason I know all of this is that I nearly fell for a scam like this. From now on, I don't ship anything until the certified check has cleared, which can only be known by calling your banker daily, and asking them to check the status of the check manually.

Wiring money, in my opinion, should not be legal, or at least should require more identification and traceability; maybe even require a valid bank account to be deposited in.

For the record, 'if it seems too good to be true, it is'. Another obvious giveaway that this is a scam is that he refers to the goods in his email as 'the item'. I bet if you emailed him with more questions, he couldn't identify what exactly 'the item' is. It's a generic email that he sends to any private seller of any type of goods anywhere on the internet.

yeah, but this guy is starting to piss me off, same email different name every couple weeks, some how he thinks I'm going to fall for it if he changes his name. This time he saying that his client is going to email me to give me the go ahead to recieve another cheque and wire the money. Just becuase he sends an email from a different name saying that, that person is the buyer and its okay to do so, doesnt mean I will do it.

A few years ago, someone tried Scamming me by a similar way.
    I was selling my car.
    He sent me a " certified check by the bank " for an amount higher than I ask for, he wants I use the balance to paid for transportation costs and send him the rest as part of their commission.
    When arrived the check (very good fake), he try to hurry me to send him the money ... I tell him I just wait to cash the check before move a finger ( which never happened ).
    If I did not have good friendship with the bank, they had charged me 30 euros for the return of the check ....
    At the present,a lot of people try to do it with washing machines, pcs, mobiles...anything is for sale.
    Here is called the Nigerian scam, and it should work, because if you are selling something, you recive a similar message each week...boring....

Yea I kinda figured it was, once they have your email address and other info, they just sell it off to other guys and more scammers email you the same thing over and over again

scams are everywhere. if you think its a scam then forget about it.

New Cars

I sell a lot online and frequently get these types of emails. Lately I've been replying that I'm interested and giving them the address and phone number of a police station, and the name of the Chief of Police. The scammers then send an overnight tracking number for the bogus check and tell you to watch out for the delivery so you can deposit it right away. I always get a smile on my face when I check the FedEx tracking site and see that it's been delivered. ;-)

I would do a money order my self. OR if I did a cheque I would say cash it, THEN I take the parts after the cheque goes through.

Quote Originally Posted by MURCenary
    I bet this is someone from Canada (probably Eastern Canada) they are the only ones that write check like this:

..."Would you accept Bank Certified Cheque "

;D