Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: To all builders: why do we all need to pay in advance?

To all builders: why do we all need to pay in advance?

In order to buy something in the non-Cobra replica industry, we need to pay in advance to people or companies we don't know and don't seem to have the resources to make good when anything happens. For virtually every other kind of purchase, we see the product, pay for it with cash (or PayPal), and arrange shipping.

Are there any builders out there who could do a C.O.D. kind of deal? Seems like a license to steal.

Re: To all builders: why do we all need to pay in advance?

It comes down to volume of production. Non Cobra / non hot rod kit car builders are a very low volume production industry. The cost up front supports the building of the products. The second thing is that many (not all, not most) kit car buyers are total flakes. If the market was bigger, and the follow threw of the customers supported it, I am sure that the companies would much rather have stock on hand and mail it out the day of purchase.

I will answer this very bluntly to tell you about the real world.
    Why do kits not get made for a customer and then sold when it is ready. Are you thinking straight?
    Firstly the large deposit ONLY covers the cost of materials Never mind the labour, if you think making a kit costs a few hundred to make
    well my friend you have no idea about the real costs of builing a kit, investment etc etc.
    I am very lucky as I could not care less if I retailed a kit or not as this is just a massive hobby for me.
    95% of emails and phone calls we get are from complete and utter dreamers who have no idea of the reality of building a replica.
    The 5% who are genuine and understand the work involved make it worth our while.
    These 5% understand the concept of the business and are happy to make the deposit and wait.
    If they are not they have something usually to hide!!!
    If you think you can do this cheaply, cutting corners,buying rip off kits you will end up with a load of egg on your face and well out of pocket.
    And you will NOT get parts with some bullshit story about you got a cheap kit from a friend etc.
    Do not take ANY of the kit suppliers as dumb as you will be making a big mistake.
    So Decide if you have the money and skill to do the project, do your research, make your choice, wait for your kit, If you are 100% genuine the suppliers
    will help you all they can and you will end up with a beautiful car.
    If not you deserve what you get.
    Anyone not willing to pay a deposit I would suggest go buy yourself a 2nd hand M3.
    A wait you wont get one of them for a couple of grand.
    Hope that helps

couldnt have said it better
    If i sold one car to as many people that have called for twenty questions or can i make this part instead of that part and so on id be a millionaire

john

LOL hey John, Only a millionaire.
    Its fantastic the amount of amazing intelligent people who phone and we get the honour of speaking too!!!!!!

Why is this so different than the non-Lambo/Ferrari world? Companies like Factory Five, RCR, and ERA sell complete kits with only a small refundable down payment.

Don't need to be hostile and patronizing. I was just thinking it would be a good opportunity.

Well I do agree with exact replicas 100% but I believe that dreaming is the first step of starting this great hobby of ours. I was too a dreamer and very sure I wasted someones time at one point but what I remember is that no one wanted to help and probably looked at me as a waste of time. These builds are a lot to take in and you want to take your time researching it as much as possible. I remember the endless hours I would spend looking at the diablo replicas on lambolounge.com and im sure a lot of you have as well. I have had a few "dreamers" call the shop for months and all of a sudden I would get the call of "i got my Fiero, now what" Now that was a great feeling! Anyone who knows me and if I have the time at that moment knows that I can spend hours talking to them about a build. So all you dreamers, keep dreaming and doing your research. This cars are hard to build and easy to mess up but is well worth it when you are finished. As always my email is always open to anyone that needs help

Not being nasty stating a fact,

I can assure you a diablo or 430 or gallargo kit cost quite a bit to make and back to the question.
    If you can afford to buy it you can afford to pay a deposit.
    Also another very very important fact is the most of us run with a waiting list so the kits are booked in advance.
    So why would you jump the que? Is it not polite to take your turn?

also those other companies like factory five and such dont have audi or ferrari breathing down your neck, Im not saying that i dont enjoy to talking to people, and we all are here as a hobby,but there is alot of work to do these and like ive told everyone is that you need to do your research first cuz it aint cheap

496fe, if you are worried about it you could try an escrow account with the person you want to buy from.