Thread: buying an already started kit or starting fresh?? Which is best?

buying an already started kit or starting fresh?? Which is best?

Hi all,

Which is the easiet for the wallet and the mind? I think the wallet would say to buy an already started kit, but the mind would say to start fresh due to the other person who may not have done things the way you would prefer....

What do you guys think?
    Me, I sell engines, the cars are free.&nbsp; I need something to crate the engines in.... Enzo Ferrari......<br />Today they are called garage&#039;s, yesterday, they were stable&#039;s.&nbsp; Eric Jacobsen...

Re: buying an already started kit or starting fresh?? Which is best?

I would be more willing to buy a project based on how many parts come with it, the more the better. Depending on what you want to build chasing down and purchasing parts like glass, interior pieces, tires, rims, ect are are expensive and hard to find. If the deal is good enough you can always go backand redo what need to be redone and if your doing it yourself its just mostly labor. The deals are out there you just gotta hunt them done.

I don't think you can make a global call which way is better. Sometimes, it'd be better to start from scratch, sometimes the builder did really well, just lost interest, divorced, switched jobs, etc. It's going to vary from project to project. I'd also say it comes down to your motivation - if you're M.O. is to lose interest halfway through a project, definitely pick a half complete one- you're more likely to finish it.

Started kit, this way you dont have to worry about finding alot of parts, easier to complete, saves money $$$

if the work already done is goodenough then buy an abandoned project!!!!.total no brainer in my book

most kitcars never get finished due to the misadvertising of kits by kit makers or the totally unrealistic ideas of a new builders ,new build threads showing cars seemingly thrown together in days - months are put online by kit sellers using a friends build as a advertising platform,if it looks like its been built ultra quick,"then it hasnt"

EVERY SINGLE KIT out there takes 5-ten times longer "MAYBE MORE" than most will admit too........the cost involved .well the same applies i rekon!!!

its these two factors that make most decide to sell off and get on with life "IMO"

any way you have of saving the two reasons ive listed has to be the way to go

i wish you luck sir............"like us all you will need it!!

john

Quote Originally Posted by alpina-ferrari
    if the work already done is goodenough then buy an abandoned project!!!!.total no brainer in my book

most kitcars never get finished due to the misadvertising of kits by kit makers or the totally unrealistic ideas of a new builders ,new build threads showing cars seemingly thrown together in days - months are put online by kit sellers using a friends build as a advertising platform,if it looks like its been built ultra quick,"then it hasnt"

EVERY SINGLE KIT out there takes 5-ten times longer "MAYBE MORE" than most will admit too........the cost involved .well the same applies i rekon!!!

its these two factors that make most decide to sell off and get on with life "IMO"

any way you have of saving the two reasons ive listed has to be the way to go

i wish you luck sir............"like us all you will need it!!

john
    Totally agree, couldn't have said it better myself.

A "started project" is the better way to go but it's really important to check out the quality of the work up close to make sure that it's to your standards and it's going to be safe.

Be careful of projects that have been left sitting outside. Water is hard on any exposed electrical components and long term UV exposure is not good on unpainted fiberglass.

The key is to look for a needy seller and not a needy project.

Chris

It is a lot cheaper to begin with a started kit, but it might not be faster or easier. As others have stated above, these projects cost a lot more and take a huge amount more time than advertised. I laugh when I see the "90%" done kit for sale. The half way on a build is the worst part. The dream phase wore off, you have a crazy amount of money put into a project and you have a car with body panels on it, but nothing fits right and you realize that you are only half done. This is where people with $30-40K into a Lambo project bail out for $10k. The sad part, is that the new owner now has to fix the problems and source the missing parts.

I bought a running registered car, then replaced the interior, brakes, suspension, lighting and drivetrain. I did get $1500 for the 350 vortec and isuzu transmission and I can probably sell the wheel spacers. Lots of previous work redone, but it runs the way I want it now and I probably would have been one of those who didn't finish it if I had started from scratch.