Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1:2 lp640 ideas

1:2 lp640 ideas

my name is Evan Koster, im a 15 year old dutch kid.
    im working at a kart track as a mechanic in my holidays and other spare time for over 3,5 years now.
    i do it completely voluntarily,i dont get payed, i just do it for the fun of repairing things, and learning to be a good mechanic.
    next year im going to a education for a car mechanic, the highest level you can get on my age here in the netherlands.
    i salvaged some engine parts every time i was there, and now i've finally managed to get a complete working 180cc 6hp engine.
    since my all time favourite car is the lp640 roadster, i was planning to build a 1:2 scale version of it, using the template-foam-fiberglass way.
    i want to do this next year, when im at the mechanic school. using this engine. i will start building in september

can anybody tell me how exactly i need to do this, wich kind of wood, foam and wich grid glass i need? where i can get templates or a 3d model to make templates? how i can make sure my frame has a solid structure? any comment is appreciated!

thanks. Evan

Re: introduction and 1:2 lp640 ideas

i suggest you use a golf cart chassis
    it has all the suspension , steering , transmission and brakes ( that is a major component that you cannot build yourself )
    the golf cart chassis is very strong it carry 6- 8 peoples
    you can cut the chassis in the middle and extended to the wheelbase you want (i think half ascale would be 53 inhes wheelbase)
    you can also fit some nice rims that has 4 lug pattern from honda civic or toyota tercel or any other car that has 4 lug pattern and it will fit right on the golf cart chassis wheeels
    look at this videos
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8_tEZtytQc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZIGDp...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ewmB6...eature=related

lamboventa

yeah ive already seen this one, but i want to build one with the right dimengsions of the real one, just smaller.
    for my frame my plan was to take an old kart frame from my work and extend it. since golf cars are very very rare here in the netherlands.

evan

Quote Originally Posted by mr. K
    lamboventa

yeah ive already seen this one, but i want to build one with the right dimengsions of the real one, just smaller.
    for my frame my plan was to take an old kart frame from my work and extend it. since golf cars are very very rare here in the netherlands.

evan
    Hey Evan!

Where are you working?!? At Kombikart with Hans vd H do you know Hugo to? I used to work there when I was about your age! first at the factory in veghel (beleve it is closed now though) after that on the cirquit at Veldhoven, Landsard!
    Cool plans you have with your build! At your work they probably have computers where the can animate and calculate te stress on the frame, don't they? On the other hand 6 Hp ain't going to put serious amounts of stress to the frame... maybe you can put a Yamaha R1 engine in there! that would be great fun to drive! hehehe

The 180 cc engine you where talking about is a Honda 4-stroke right?

I know "BIERHANZEL" has templates for the lambo lp640 he is building it from scratch.. check out his thread it is exactly what you want to do on a bigger scale... you can calculate the measurents from that....
    And while you are at it.. just make a 100% scale to... I'll buy that one lol ;D

here is the link to his thread: http://www.madmechanics.com/build-di...cie-lp640/135/

Cheers

Ps: Thought it is best to stick to english on the forum just to be polite..

hey dman!

thanks for your kind response, i actiually work at van der Ende Racing Inn, its the longest indoor kart track of europe at a length of 1.3 km.
    its in poelijk, just outside the hague. no we dont have those computer programs, we order karts, and then just put them togheter, we dont develop them. my engine is a 180cc briggs and stratton engine, honda only makes a 160cc and a 200cc. a yamaha would be nice, however my plan is to make it as cheap as possible, since im still full time at school and dont have much time to make much money. i will start with my 180, and eventually maybe if i have enough someday we'll see. bierhanzel wants to sell them but he doesnt reccomend it, since its too much work, wich he said specificly to you .
    i first want to try getting them somewere for free, but if i dont succeed, i will buy them ( wich i probably will ).

ps. english is no problem, im just done with my bilingual education, so my english is not perfect, but good enough to understand everything.

Re: 1:2 lp640 ideas

Why not an overhead cam engine? They're not that expensive.

I'm not expensive .-)

send me an email
    or PM

is there a dutch person on here who can tell me where to buy the cheepest fiberglass and resin? came along a few sites but they where more expensive than buying in the u.s.a. plus shipping costs.

thanks

Here's an idea. Go get a go Kart and fabup a body around the chassis like this Countach

http://hooniverse.com/2010/12/21/nee...mini-countach/

I remember in middle school we planned to build a Diablo VT on a go kart as a class project in tech ed just like this but never got around to it. I went to school in the ghetto and budget cuts were common But get you a Cad program if not download a ton of photos and start scalping away.

Good luck.

thanx, never seen this one before, this is actiually exactly what i want to build, only a lp640 instead of a countach.
    great build tough