Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: insuring a fiero base kit car to be police proof

insuring a fiero base kit car to be police proof

Hi I was just wondering, whats the best way to insure a 88 fiero base kit car, so that when the cops check the back tag, it does not only say fiero. Then I know they will most likely pull me over. I dont want to get my car towed away by any of the cops, which wont want to hear what I want to say. I know I could insure it under a custom car, but its alot more hassle then to put it under a fiero. Im in maryland, and ive seen quite a few replicas here. I was wondering is it possible to put the fiero on the title / slash replica kitcar? Would I do it at the insurance company or police station? Or is there other better ideas for replica owners? There is so many cops in my area, that I would hate to keep getting stopped over and over again. Any ideas on your expierences? Thanks.

Re: insuring a fiero base kit car to be police proof

You could always get personalized car plates that say "REPLICA" ;D LOL!

My 328 replica is registered as a kit car. Check with your state's requirements, if applicable they can issue a different vin tag rather than use the fiero vin.

Problem is , once you register it as replica, assembled, kit car..etc. it registers on a new year, so the 25yr rule is out for emissions test. ( at least here in tx)So, if your state has emissions testing, it may not pass, or they cannot even try it because if you register 2011, the emission tester puts in info for 2011 vehicle, your fiero does not have the plug in for this testing machine like newer vehicles have. Or try to put double cats , change exhaust, or test emissions 1st , if passes then you're ok to change title. I changed my title to assemble vehicle 2011, but the engine i put in gm crate 350 v8 with carb.,does not pass emissions test. So i cant pass inspection. I am trying to get a custom exhaust with cats made its my only hope or i'll have to spend money and put an newer model engine...

or...... you could put the old FIERO emblems on the car....lol! problem solved!

Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    Problem is , once you register it as replica, assembled, kit car..etc. it registers on a new year, so the 25yr rule is out for emissions test. ( at least here in tx)So, if your state has emissions testing, it may not pass, or they cannot even try it because if you register 2011, the emission tester puts in info for 2011 vehicle, your fiero does not have the plug in for this testing machine like newer vehicles have. Or try to put double cats , change exhaust, or test emissions 1st , if passes then you're ok to change title. I changed my title to assemble vehicle 2011, but the engine i put in gm crate 350 v8 with carb.,does not pass emissions test. So i cant pass inspection. I am trying to get a custom exhaust with cats made its my only hope or i'll have to spend money and put an newer model engine...
    Thanks for the detailed info, I do have emissions testing here in md. So how would they do the emissions test for say older fieros? Seems like alot more problems to insure it as a custom replica, because of the new emissions rules. I will most likely try to go for a fiero title. Now how do you guys get through the cops? I see at least up to 5 to 10 cop cars a day here. I would hate to be stopped mutiple times or get my car towed. Any issues for the fiero title kit car owners?

in some states you can get the title/registration amended by the DMV if you have done wild body kits or custom work. it would read something like "fiero custom" or "fiero f355" ect. that way you can also insure if as a fiero to what ever value you want.

Quote Originally Posted by Twilight Z
    in some states you can get the title/registration amended by the DMV if you have done wild body kits or custom work. it would read something like "fiero custom" or "fiero f355" ect. that way you can also insure if as a fiero to what ever value you want.

Wow if I can do this, then we are all set. I will try to find out more info. Thanks for the info.

no problem.

I just had my Fiero based Lamboghini Diablo Roadster insured with Grundy Worldwide and I had them put "Fiero / Replica" on the policy and insurance card. So in most cases I shouldnt have any problems. I have many police friends and all said that as long as your not doing something you shouldnt- ie, driving like a fool, excess speeding and the car completly checks out with current registeration and insurance you should be fine. Now if there is a Bolo out on a stolen Lamborghini or you are in a "known" high crime area with ties to auto theft, drugs, ect, you could be targeted for some futher investigation.

In the same little plastic pouch that I keep my insurance card in I also keep about 10 photos of various stages of my build process. Not only to be able to show the police if any question might come up, but also just to show off to others that dont believe that I built the car....