Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Getting pulled over?

Getting pulled over?

What happens if you get pulled over? Your plates say MR2 1991, but your driving a 2011 Lamborghini........ Cop is going to think it's a stolen car. what to do?

Re: Getting pulled over?

If your registration is for a '91 MR2 and the VIN on the registration matches the one on the car you won't have a problem.

It might also help if you keep a small picture album of the build if you have some pics to show from start to finish... ya never know..

Here in Louisiana I checked with my DMV and the local state Troopers and was told as long as the vin# matches and paperwork is clear it would be ok. They also suggested filing for a modification to the title showing the new classification as 1991 MR2/ Build. Insurance would still be covered only as an MR2. I am using a 91 MR2 for my build as well. And as stated by lambo4242, state troopers here told me keeping an album of the build in the car would help a "skeptical" officer. You should really inquire in your own state for the exact requirements. Thats gonna be the only guaranty!

Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    It might also help if you keep a small picture album of the build if you have some pics to show from start to finish... ya never know..
    Keep dreaming if you want to, I'm building mine!

first build the car then worry later.

In regard to the original situation, the cop has every right to stop you and verify your registration. It's called "cold Plating" when thevies take the plates off of a legitimate vehicle and put them on a stolen vehicle. It happens all the time.

It's just one of the things you will have to deal with having a replica with the registration showing a fiero, MR2, or what ever the donor is. Unless there is a way for your state to mark it as a MR2/build but I've never heard to that.

I agree with the comments that a build album could be helpful, but just having the correct VIN on the car should be enough.

Quote Originally Posted by MDMurcy2
    Here in Louisiana I checked with my DMV and the local state Troopers and was told as long as the vin# matches and paperwork is clear it would be ok. They also suggested filing for a modification to the title showing the new classification as 1991 MR2/ Build. Insurance would still be covered only as an MR2. I am using a 91 MR2 for my build as well. And as stated by lambo4242, state troopers here told me keeping an album of the build in the car would help a "skeptical" officer. You should really inquire in your own state for the exact requirements. Thats gonna be the only guaranty!

Quote Originally Posted by lambo4242
    Thanks I like this idea. Also the member about some build pics in the car is great too. Thanks for the info.

Quote Originally Posted by Murci-Mike
    I've been pulled over 7 time since I've been driving my lambo. sometimes the police are cool and sometimes they're jerks. I've been ordered to get out of the car at gunpoint, and told to lay on the asphalt with my hands behind my head while they cuff me and then put me in the back of the cruiser.
    here in southern california they're run your plate to see who it is, they assume it must be a celebrity. when the plates come back registered to an 86 fiero, the red lights come on. it's just their job and I'm glad they do it. some take it to a bit of an extreme though. I also have the police pull up along side of me at a red light, and ask me a few key questions, like what year is my car, what city do I live in, and my address. every time I give them an answer I see them looking over at their computer. they have all that information right there in front of them. if it all checks out they just give me a wave and drive off.
    it's guaranteed that you're going to get pulled over. how you handle it determines the outcome.

Just curious would you be able to get it register as a fiero/ build car? or a custom build car? It might change the outcome. I wonder because I need to get mine register as well soon.

HMM, Diablo kit, 350 sbc, etc. but registered as Fiero and not notify your insurance that this X Fiero is now will cost lot more to fix or to be writen off due to the accident. well that's what happened to friend of mine few years back, got Diablo and some old bag goes trough red light and kissed his front end. insurance give nothing and got expeled from other insurance for HE lied. took him 5 years to get his insurance clear record after he spend thousands$$$ on insurance as Bad, drunk, dangerus driver.
    oh and 10 grand to fix his car.

so you want to save $$$ not realy, things do happen. and insure Kit,replica does not cost as much as regular car.( with limited miles/KM)

as for Police, local guys will get to know you after little while. Hey there's the guy with that Lamborghini KIT CAR.

My State Farm agent stated to me as soon as it is completely finished, he will come out to appraise the car and put on the insurance card as fiero-kit car or fiero-lambo replica. And he stated on 30k of coverage it would only cost me an extra $55/ month due to multicar discount with $500 deductible.. so yes, if you want to be protected, get it covered by a classic car insur. company or try going to your insurance agent for an appraisal. Mine will be more than a once a month driver, so i'll need regular insurance.. Also like Orcc, stated,... the cops will see it registered and see it on insurance card as replica, so no worries for the most part.