Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: With such amazing 'glass skills, why waste time with replicas.....

With such amazing 'glass skills, why waste time with replicas.....

I have always been interested in replicas because no matter how much I ever have, even if I was a billionaire,
    I wouldn't allow myself to get ripped off my these mostly Italian junk producers. Their design teams area brilliant when it comes
    to aesthetics, but whoever is in charge of keeping the things on the road without major expenditures is just ridiculous.
    Add insurance and registration to that, and you have a costly thing that is a rapidly depreciating asset.
    At least with the kits, you can keep reg and insurace within reason since it is a kit car.

By my question here is going to confuse just every member on here
    So why own one, whether real or replica, what is the point?
    People say its because they are fast...... but even the real ones get smoked by some vettes, and plenty of modded imports.
    My business partner and I bought a 360 Modena to share, and my twin turbo Supra 15 year old Japanese GT car blew its doors off.
    I can't claim to see all the replicas that are out there, but I have yet to see any with a decent powerplant. Sure, I've seen the LS1
    swaps and things like that, but the sound of any American V8 just doesn't do it for me coming out of an Italian styled supercar.
    The Fiero engines are down right laughable, no offense to anyone that has one in their replica, but it is just not the kind of engine I would
    ever associate with power or exoticness. The BMW V12 has a great sound, but I have yet to see a reliable one putting down big horsepower
    numbers, and if I were building a replica, I'd have to meet or exceed its factory HP/TQ just to feel better about owning a fake version

People say its because they get attention/women..... great, if you like attracting gold digger women with daddy issues into your life.
    I'd park that Modena in a gas station and get swarmed by people asking questions....mostly guys. They get tons of attention.
    As far as replicas, how do you deal with the attention you are getting when people are looking at your replica thinking it is the real deal?
    Are you embarrassed at all that you are showing off a 'fake'.
    How many of you are honest about it when asked?

They are exotic..... why? Because they make a limited amount each year? What if i made 10 Pinto-like cars each year, would that make
    them extremely exclusive? Of course not. They could easly build more cars each year and sell them cheaper, but that would defeat the purpose
    of offering something 'speical and limited' to someone that has money to burn..... like anyone that was invited to purchase a Reventon.

Status symbol...... obviously you are doing something right financially if you are driving a Gallardo, Murcie, F430, etc. Some
    people may want to show their success by driving a car that costs as much as a nice house. Unfortunately, I'd bet the majority of people
    that own these cars own them for this reason only. You only see Galllardos with E-gear since no one actually wants to do any skilled driving
    in their formula 1 inspired vehicles. Sad.
    Replica - faking the funk of being a success? I really hope no is doing that. I hope it is just a love for a certain car that cannot be purchased
    normally, so you make one as close to the real thing as possible, just to have a little piece of your dream.
    I like that one fellow in New Zealand I think that build the F40 that is pretty much the same as the real car.... now that was sweet. Something that was not
    really able to be obtained, so he made himself. I can respect that for sure.

Sorry for the essay. What I am getting at is, I see some amazing fiberglass work and mold making going on this forum, and I am always wondering why these guys
    don't take such skills to make their own unique exotic that isn't a blatant copy of anything. That would be something to be proud of, IMO

Just a subtle example. The Veilside 4509, more of an extensive body kit than a kit car, but it uses a Toyota Supra as a base. Uses genuine Audi R8 lights and
    Bentley styling cues for the rest of the car. Love it or hate it, at least they made something that was completely original.

For those of you 'glass guys that don't have an idea in mind, why not try and make a 'replica' of a car that doesn't even exist. How cool would a kit of one of these things be:

And BTW, I did not intend to offend anyone with my posts, I am just curious as to what is pushing you all in the direction of building replicas of exotic supercars.

I always wanted a 360 modena kit as acurate as those fellows in the UK that put them on the Puegeot. I wish there was a suitable Japanese or American chassis for that kit.
    Having already owned the real thing, I would rather have one that looks just like it, costs less to register and insure, and far more reliable. $4500 clutches every 6k miles are no fun.
    I wish I could put a Ferrari 599 or Astin Martin over my Supra. As much as I love the Supra, it's such an amazing platform for performance and reliability and would be amazing with
    European styling.

Re: With such amazing 'glass skills, why waste time with replicas.....

Why? Because I cannot afford the real thing. Well, I suppose I could if I made enough sacrifices, then if it breaks the cost of repair is nuts. The cost of routine service is nuts. Just the cost of parts is nuts. Then there is the insurance.......

In the case of my Countach, I wanted one since the 80's. I could care less about the attention, in fact it gets bothersome sometimes. It seems like every idiot with a cell phone camera has to block you in while in traffic while they snap photos. > Women that are attracted because of the car are not worth my time or consideration. There is a name for women like that and it's not proper to comment. :-X Last thing I need is a gold digger.

Mainly, I can drive the car across the country and put many thousands of miles without having to remove the powertrain for routine service. There are list of reasons is a mile long and I could care less what anyone else thinks, I have the car because I love the look of it. I own it, there are no payments and if it breaks I can fix it myself. Insurance is cheap too.

If someone has excellent glass skills, why waste time on replicas? Pardon me, but it seems like your question right off the bat is a leading question. build what you want and screw other people's opinion of what is a waste or not. This hobby is all about self indulgeance and not about other's opinions of whether the time spent is of merit. .

This sounds like a huge rant. :-\

I'm building my replica for the sole reason of loving the art of craftsmanship. Being able to do on site field engineering is what I love the most. Most of us build because that's what we do, build. Seeing a car from day one to day x and seeing what progress you've made and seeing this child grow is enough for me. Every time anyone has ever asked me about my car I answer them plain and simple, "I built this thing from scratch" which is immediately followed by "No freakin way!"

Anyone with a lot of cash can go out and buy a Lambo or Ferrari but how many people can say "Ive built it." Only the people apart of these communities can. It isn't about the fame and glory for most of us, Its about the ride and process of getting there.

I challenge you bro to go out and build one of these things and after your done with it step back and look at what you've built, you might amaze yourself with your own potential.

I just think it's difficult for companies to produce an original kit that sells. There have been several amazing looking original designs that didn't sell well enough to keep the manufacturer in business.

I personally like the fabrication aspect of these cars. The "I built it" part is the satisfaction you get from them. This is true with hot rods also. There is nothing more disappointing to me then asking a hot rod owner about their car and because they bought it they can't answer the tech questions. I feel like telling the owner "nice checkbook" not "nice car", which I guess you could say to any true exotic owner too. I tell everyone my car is a replica (or "fake" as you so put it).

More directly to answer your question, just because someone has glassing skills doesn’t mean they have design skills (and visa versa). I'm not saying those with the amazing glass skills on the forum don't, I just think it's a rare combination.

Basically.......Cost, Cost of repair, reliability, and most importantly.......satisfaction.

I am with Sactodreamer and the couple others that said they are building for the enjoyment of building. I have REALLY enjoyed figuring out how to do things that are not a usual cut and weld or set up a mould from something I carved from foam.

As for a one off or original design, the costs of producing these bucks and then moulds to a level that people will buy is very expensive. I was looking at a custom car that I still love but I thought long and hard that it would take me 20 years to build the buck, take moulds and pull panels at the amount of time I get to the garage to build. The cost is prohibitive for folks to make the custom styles but they certainly have been done and very well in a lot of cases. Look at how much we all spend on our kits? It could easily be considered prohibitive in others' eyes for what we put into these as well. A business can be made of it but a lot of us are in it for the hobby more so than the business aspect of it. I am thankful that some folks have taken the hobby into a business though otherwise we wouldn't have the kits to start our builds from.

There is a very good chance I will finish the 308 and 355 replicas I have and drive them a summer or two and then sell them. I just really enjoy the fabrication. There are also some beautifully styled oem cars out there I would like to have but would rather build than buy.

My thoughts anyway.
    Cheers
    Don
    308 Ferrari replica
    Prova Countach 5000QV

I'm planning on building a Lamborghini Diablo only because after seeing what a friend went through spending 35k a year to keep his original lamborghini on the road it kind of scares me to own one knowing if I hit a curb to fast well there goes $15,000 in repairs........... at least with a kit it would cost much less and could be done right at home. I wanna build a Diablo 6.0 that sutes my needs and won't cost me several thousands.

And I'm also planning to build a Supercar of my own on the side to. But you've gotta start somewere and like TVR and Lotus that did offer cars in kit or "Bare bones" at one point and moved on the full scale production. I wanna build a car thats like an Isdera 112i, Tommy Kaira ZZ2 and Vector W8, Pagani Zonda C12 since I know ill never be able to attain those cars unless I was a billionaire because of how rare and expensive they are and even then could I risk driving something super rare like those? Probably not. But I can build a Super rare exotic of my own.

Unless your Supra is beyond a BPU you aren't beating a stock 360 modena hands down. Also keep in mind that Supra prices aren't "Cheap" like they used to be now adays you could buy a real exotic such a Viper GTS, Lotus Esprit and even a Detomaso Pantera for the same price as you would buying and modifying a Supra. So whats the point of buying one? And don't come and say you must be doing something financially right if you own a real Gallardo or exotic because a lot of the folks I know personally put their rides on credit to keep up with the jones and fly. I can't tell you how many broke 03 Cobra guy's i've met that get by on the credit card while they are living in a nice house and car. You simply don't know who's fronting and who's got it together!

THN,

I think you answered your own questio with the last paragraph

Quote: "I always wanted a 360 modena kit as acurate as those fellows in the UK that put them on the Puegeot. I wish there was a suitable Japanese or American chassis for that kit.
    Having already owned the real thing, I would rather have one that looks just like it, costs less to register and insure, and far more reliable. $4500 clutches every 6k miles are no fun.
    I wish I could put a Ferrari 599 or Astin Martin over my Supra. As much as I love the Supra, it's such an amazing platform for performance and reliability and would be amazing with
    European styling. "

These cars are not cheap by any means to build there are many of us that have 40, 60, 80 and approaching 100k in our builds. For me it is about the adventure and I like some others have had asperations of starting a car company that will build and sell the greatest car ever and others that just enjoy the challenge of the build.... cathartic if you will.

But the beautifull part is that you are in controll of what your car becomes, do you want something to just ride around in..... 200 hp 4cyl is enough, if you want to destroy every car in your path a turbocharged nitrous enhaling monster is it. The point is no one can tell you what is right or wrong cause YOU built it YOUR way.

Now when it comes to power it is hard to beat the LS motors, but if you want the sound AND power it is hard to get around the M120 Mercedes V12, they are capable of well over 1000hp, and the TQ is off the charts but then you have to consider the other parts needed for that kind of power..... trans, brakes, cooling and lets not forget the chassis. All of that costs and kills your reliability

Guys, notice I said to please take no offense.
    I was just looking for honest answers to what motivated you guys to do cars like these.
    I didn't make fun of anyone or say that replicas were lame or anything.

Hell, I even said I wanted a 360 replica after having the real thing.

Some of you replied with some good answers; satisfaction of the build, being in love with a particular car you otherwise
    could not afford, etc.

I just wish I had some of your skills. I'd build that Ferrari concept photo I posted in a heartbeat.

And Tallon.....
    I was/am interested in a Murci kit. I want the body on a great handling chassis, I want it gutted with a race style interior, and I want RWD with a powerful and reliable engine.
    I think it would make for an exciting car to own.

My questions was to what motivates each of you individuals, why do you want a replica. I also wanted to know why those capable of such builds didn't have an interest
    in building any one off models. I got the answers I asked for, just didn't think anyone was going to react negatively.
    If I had the skills, I'd build my own unique car that no rich sultan can just go write a check for..... but that's just me. I was honestly just curious about you guys and your motives.

Sorry to piss anyone off
    These car forums can be a little touchy

As for the question about my Supra..... certainly not BPU, has HKS twins, puts down about 720hp at the wheels with current boost setting. My point of that story was that a cheap, modded import smoked
    an expensive Italian car that the general populace seems to think is some sort of amazing race vehicle.

Quote Originally Posted by TNH

As for the question about my Supra..... certainly not BPU, has HKS twins, puts down about 720hp at the wheels with current boost setting. My point of that story was that a cheap, modded import smoked
    an expensive Italian car that the general populace seems to think is some sort of amazing race vehicle.
    TNH,
    You are right there are those that believe the "exotics" are uber-race cars, they arent but they can do lots of things well, heck I could build a car that could slaughter your car in the quarter mile but make it turn left and right and I might as well hand you the title to it now.

My point is that if you want a race car build a race car, or a replica or.... or..... TNH you could also build your own car, that is the purpose of these forums, you might be surprised to know the number of guys that had no real experience building cars, but even the most experienced and dedicated had to start with their FIRST build. Grab a wrench, most of us welcome the company in our insanity....

We secretly encourage it ;D