Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using a real Gallardo for the Base of my project....would like ideas and suggest

Using a real Gallardo for the Base of my project....would like ideas and suggest

After an exhausting search for a company that can build me a Gallardo replica I did find one. Problem is the cost was over 100k. I am going to spend the winter looking for a real one thats damaged or has mech issues.
    I want to swap the motor and trans out for something low maint and easy to repair. As I'm looking I want to compile ideas from others on a good way to do this.
    First some ideas I've been throwing around...corvette or Viper engine mated to a porsche tiptronic transmission...reason I picked an auto is I think it would be easier to hook into the paddles instead of trying to build a shift linkage...
    or use a corvette trans (much cheaper) and tie into the Gallardo drivetrain and keep the all wheel drive.
    I have found a company that claims their fiberglass panels will fit on a real Gallardo so if their is bodywork to be done that will help...I'm sure they will need massaged some...
    Really would like to hear thoughts and ideas from others on drivetrain...Thanks

Re: Using a real Gallardo for the Base of my project....would like ideas and suggest

I don't think that you are going to be able to use either a corvette transmission or a corvette transaxle in a Gallardo. Especially with all wheel drive. Corvette engine longitudinal with a Porsche or Audi tranny should work. I have an ls4 transversely mounted in my Murci, but that is with a fiero cradle. It might not work in the Gallardo. You're going to have to break new ground here, but it sounds like a worthy project to me.

Re: Using a real Gallardo for the Base of my project....would like ideas and suggest

I'm actually thinking about scraping the all wheel drive...I found a company that makes an adapter for either engine to bolt directly to the Porsche trans...another question...pull the running gear from a 4S ..all wheel drive with launch control...

keep it simple and cheap. use the audi six speed tranny with an audi v8
    they will fit easy peasy.
    any thing else is gonna cost you bills.
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn

Ok you have my attention..why the Audi V-8 and trans? what makes it so much easier? Hook right into the Gallardo drive system?

I've been in talks with mark from spydersportscars, for 35,000 you can have a fully built Inside n out gallardo, which is on a space frame and running an Audi v8 n trans, only drawback is that there is no AWD (badge it as a balboni RWD, that's what I'm doing!)

He is doing an mr2 stretch for a German fella Bart ATM! Best looking gallardo build I've seen so far....

Don't know how much gallardos go for in your neck of the woods but here in AUS, the cheapest I can find is $180,000aud, 50k compared to 180k to me is a good deal for a car that is similar in power to weight....

Food for thought gents!

Sorry I can't really help you with any technical advice but I can certainly give you alot of motivational help! The only drawbacks I fore see is budget and finding someone crazy enough or mad enough as it were (MADmechanics) to take on such a task! Another piece of advice would be "have a plan" get any and all information you can dig up! You've obviously started doing so by posting this thread and as much as I love MM with all of it's extremely talented minds and entertainment value with all the drama, don't limit yourself to this site alone. Anyway all I have to say is good luck, have fun, and keep us posted! Oh and on a side note this is exactly what I was talking about as far as posts being moved to consumer opinions! Seriousley, what about this topic is anything near "consumer opinion" related?

Quote Originally Posted by tallon
    Moved to consumer opinions, guess someone hijacked the forum again :
    Hes asking for opinions so thats why its here.

The audi r8 tranny and galardo tranny are very similar.
    for the audi r8 tdi prototype they used an off the shelf audi 6 speed transaxel in 2wdrive mode.
    also the audi 6 speed mates to the audi v8 no problem.
    The reason to use the audi v8 is that it is similar in design to the audi v10 just 2 cylinders short. also that Audi v8 is also used in the r8.
    You also dont have to use the porche tranny which costs bills.
    www.lazymansguideto.com<br /><br />The Lazy Way To Learn

I found a 6 speed coupe with engine issues...$66,000 could proble get it for the high 50s going to keep looking