Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: CNC Machining

CNC Machining

Hey guys, I'm looking to start building a few exotics. I was looking to do a foam plug that I could make a mold from, that way I can make more kits if needed. I'm trying to find a shop in my area (Phoenix, Arizona) that could to cnc work to carve out the foam. I've seen some build threads where some people are carving the bodies themselves using wood templates. How do I go about getting these templates or finding a shop that could cnc carve the body?

Re: CNC Machining

Try an Google search or go to the Practical Machinist forum and post there and see if anyone knows of a shop that has the capability to machine something like that.

There is forum called cnczone.com, it might be possible to find someone there with a machine in your area and wont charge you an arm and a leg for work.
    Follow my designs on Facebook fan pages. http://www.facebook.com/AutoArts

ok great. thanks for the advise guys!

why is no one concerned with the costs involved.
    i see a lot of these cnc questions here. these cnc machines are expensive like hell... therefor the rates are usually out of reach for the general public.
    the (3-axis) machine would prob cost you 150 euro per houre and another 80 euro to pay the guy standing next to it, doing nothing. a complete car takes houres to mill, on a 5 axis (exotic and more expencive).
    if you recieve a few k of allowance your in the clear, but my wife does not give me that kind of allowance

maybe i am wrong here... and you are serious about investing... i am interested

foam + old fashioned sandpaper = happy wife ( taking you clean up after yourself )

therefore, i have built homemade cnc

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

You can save a lot of money and time later

There are a lot of hacker spaces that are opening up where you can pay a monthly fee and use a CNC machine.

In Phoenix you are in luck. Go check out Local Motors and see what they can do. If they cannot help you, I bet they know who can.

Thank you guys! I'll look into this. The reason why I am looking to get a cnc carved foam plug is because I want to build an Enzo and would like to have molds to make more or to make replacement pieces should anything happen.

Quote Originally Posted by darkprince
    Hey guys, I'm looking to start building a few exotics. I was looking to do a foam plug that I could make a mold from, that way I can make more kits if needed. I'm trying to find a shop in my area (Phoenix, Arizona) that could to cnc work to carve out the foam. I've seen some build threads where some people are carving the bodies themselves using wood templates. How do I go about getting these templates or finding a shop that could cnc carve the body?
    Instead of CNC ing a big block of foam just take the Z axis depth (say 4 inches) use your CAD/CAM and divide the car body into 4 inch cross sections and have the CNC machine cut those profiles then glue all the cross sections together and Volia a whole car body in foam. The sheets of foam are not that expensive compared to the block and you will save a bundle being able to use a low level CNC machine. Depending on the body design maybe just a foam cutter will do. (just an idea).

Quote Originally Posted by CARBUILDER
    Quote Originally Posted by darkprince
    Instead of CNC ing a big block of foam just take the Z axis depth (say 4 inches) use your CAD/CAM and divide the car body into 4 inch cross sections and have the CNC machine cut those profiles then glue all the cross sections together and Volia a whole car body in foam. The sheets of foam are not that expensive compared to the block and you will save a bundle being able to use a low level CNC machine. Depending on the body design maybe just a foam cutter will do. (just an idea).
    I like that idea! lowering cost is always a plus. I take it almost all maching shop has a Z axis machine. Where would I go to get the CAD/CAM of the car so the shop can cut the sections?