Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Brand New Build Foam CNC Lamborghini.

Brand New Build Foam CNC Lamborghini.

Sup you guys. Ive been following builds on this forum for 2 years but will be starting my own now. Im starting from bare scratch. I wont be buying a pre-made kit since it is too expensive for my budget. I will be milling the panels out of foam and taking molds from it then parting it. I am actually undecided on which car i want design and build first, a Lamborghini or a Ferrari Italia. I personally would want to build an Italia but because im building this car to sell, lamborghini might be the better option since it would be easier to sell, what you guys think? Im planning on building it over a MR2 or a Fiero, hopefully i can find one for dirty cheap <$1200?

Right now i am in the stage of building my CNC machine. Not sure if you guys are interested in this stuff but it will have a 3'x3'x2.5' milling area. Here are some pictures of the beggining process of the CNC build. I will keep you guys updated on the machine build also.

Nice to see more people with CNC machines, Im also at the constructing phase right now.
    My CNC build thread - testing : Test Forum

what kind of budget do you have for this CNC machine? might be easier and faster to get a kit (~500 gantry) for the rest and modify the Z height.
    You wont need a super study/strong machine to cut foam.

A member here was looking to make an Italia out of a Mazda MX6 and replicas and sprung up in Mexico so you could have competition at the end if your looking to maximize your profits... I for one really like that model and think you should do it anyway. Im not sure how that member who came up with the Mazda donor would feel, if you'd do the same... if he's abandoned his idea, but its really a perfect donor he found which cuts the huge cost of having a custom tube chassis and makes replicas affordable to the public as a whole.
    Last edited by ArashB; 02-22-2012 at 05:43 PM.

RobsLP640 and CarKitInc are selling Lambo bodies so cheap that I doubt you could make any profit on it. I'd go 458. Either way, if you plan to replicate and sell supercar bodies, do your homework to avoid trademark and legal issues.

I'm not sure what you plan to use, but you can find nice 3d models on turbosquid and the3dstudio.com

Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by ArashB View Post
    Nice to see more people with CNC machines, Im also at the constructing phase right now.
    My CNC build thread - testing : Test Forum

what kind of budget do you have for this CNC machine? might be easier and faster to get a kit (~500 gantry) for the rest and modify the Z height.
    You wont need a super study/strong machine to cut foam.

A member here was looking to make an Italia out of a Mazda MX6 and replicas and sprung up in Mexico so you could have competition at the end if your looking to maximize your profits... I for one really like that model and think you should do it anyway. Im not sure how that member who came up with the Mazda donor would feel, if you'd do the same... if he's abandoned his idea, but its really a perfect donor he found which cuts the huge cost of having a custom tube chassis and makes replicas affordable to the public as a whole.
    sup arash, ive already purchased all the parts i need and it ended up being close to $600. That includes a 425 oz 3 axis kit from ebay ($380), i coulda used the 270 oz kit which would have been half the price. The whole thing wont take me long to put together, if i had all the parts i could put it together in 3 days. Im still waiting on the cnc kit to come though which will take a week if not more.

Thats cool your building your own cnc machine (even though it looks funky to be honest), i will be following your progress and hope you will with mine also. Its kinda cool your building a cnc machine to mill out an RC car, and im building a cnc machine to later use on building an electric sports car which is the same as an RC car really. You have a knack for designing cars, your renderings are really nice. How good are you with designing full scale cars in CAD? if you are i could possibly use your help in the future.

What software will you use on your cnc and at what cutting speed?Keep in mind that you are limited to cutter length and dia. size so you would have to slice the components and layer them.Have a look at Aspire 3 from Vectric will do most of what you need to cut your body also look at the price (ouch!).It Might be another option to get your parts machined by an outside company. Try machmate.com and see who is in your area couple of nice chaps that can help you mine is #23. Bet your wife won`t like the dust in her house ( mine would be the F 40 )

Hi, I too am very interested to learn about this proccess! Will you be cutting profile slices, individual panels, or full body? How large of a object will your machine be able do?

Cutting would have to be done in components and layered as one is restricted to the length of the cutter.My cnc cutting table size is 9x6 with a 5 inch safe cutting hight but I would layer the components in 60 mm thick pieces.The software that is available allows one to do quite a lot.Foam would be the item to use and some ply to give it rigidness and anchoring points once all the parts are milled and to line them up to make a male jig.

Quote Originally Posted by ncrazyballa View Post
    sup arash, ive already purchased all the parts i need and it ended up being close to $600. That includes a 425 oz 3 axis kit from ebay ($380), i coulda used the 270 oz kit which would have been half the price. The whole thing wont take me long to put together, if i had all the parts i could put it together in 3 days. Im still waiting on the cnc kit to come though which will take a week if not more.

Thats cool your building your own cnc machine (even though it looks funky to be honest), i will be following your progress and hope you will with mine also. Its kinda cool your building a cnc machine to mill out an RC car, and im building a cnc machine to later use on building an electric sports car which is the same as an RC car really. You have a knack for designing cars, your renderings are really nice. How good are you with designing full scale cars in CAD? if you are i could possibly use your help in the future.
    Its great you'll have it assembled soon and if you post your progress here, we can all learn and help.
    Im on my second CNC build right now (with the first small one being a success and as crudely made) and I also recommend the Vectric software too.

Here is a picture I took tonight
    http://i.imgur.com/XUF0p.jpg

Im actually planning on milling out a conversion kit for my Nissan 300zx but at the same time Im broke to afford the heater and generator I'll need to setup the plastic vacuum apparatus for making the panels.
    Thats where the RC cars comes in to fund my equipment.

I am learning new modeling techniques but for now I basically mix and match different car design panels into what I find attractive.
    Like here I mated the Agera cars front end.

In my renders I use reduced polygon models so that I can manipulate the designs fast on my computer... by using higher resolution 3Ds it should all be sufficient for life size cars too.

Your electric super car idea sounds very exciting and I would be pleased if you liked one of my concepts. Im guessing the compact batteries will be the most expensive part of the build but hopefully you'll be successful in which ever replica you make to save up.
    Last edited by ArashB; 02-23-2012 at 09:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hanlu View Post
    Cutting would have to be done in components and layered as one is restricted to the length of the cutter.My cnc cutting table size is 9x6 with a 5 inch safe cutting hight but I would layer the components in 60 mm thick pieces.The software that is available allows one to do quite a lot.Foam would be the item to use and some ply to give it rigidness and anchoring points once all the parts are milled and to line them up to make a male jig.
    JUST A HINT (learnt the hard way)... One day decided to cut a 4'x8' Foam panel on my 5'x10' CNC router. Yes I even had my commercial grade dust collector turned on. OMFG ... you have not lived til you have covered everything in a 24'x20' shop with foam dust/chips that are statically charged and stick to anything.
    DO NOT TRY THIS IN YOUR HOME ... your wife WILL murder you.