Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Paint job for a DNA kit car (in California)

Orange County, California - 40 miles from Los Angeles

Paint job for a DNA kit car (in California)

Howdy people,
    I'm trying to assemble some info regarding the possibility of putting together either an extreme Murci or a DNA 430/Scuderia. I am going to buy the donor (MR2 MKII, MR2 MKIII, or cougar) this summer.

I have been emailing paint shops and body shops for quotes but I have seldom received replies. I am not an EXPERT, but how much have you guys paid for a paint job on your murcielago replicas and/or your DNA kit cars?
    What would be a good/fair price and what would be a ridiculous one for a paint job? Again, sorry for the questions, but I am fairly new to the kit car industry and I wanted to avoid being ripped off if possible.

Additionally, if you can recommend a reliable shop that does outstanding paint jobs in southern California, please let me know. Thanks

$1500-3000 for a decent quality job assuming all body work is done

If body work is needed $6-12000

Hi Fauzzrari,
    Thank you for the reply. I don't know if the DNA kits need body work done to them, but I will contact Paul this week. Hopefully they don't require it. It'd much nicer having a bill between 1500-3000 rather than 6-12K.
    In the meantime, can anybody confirm how much body work needed to be done on the dna or extreme kits?
    Thank you and have a great day everybody

The dna kit needs tidying up and general aligning polyester work, not that bad really
    The extreme is a little more work although nice results can be obtained for both, best to look on the oc's to get an idea of finishing required. PLEASE be aware these are good quality kits and you pay the money for the quality, some of the cheap kits are cheap for a reason.
    Any reason why you favour extreme over John Watson, there's plenty of posts praising the quality of his kit.
    D

Hi Dangerrous,
    Thank you for your input. I will also register on the DNA owner's site albeit I am not an owner (I hope it doesn't matter). The owners seem to be very nice people and also seem very helpful (just like on this site).
    I am favoring extreme or DNA because they seem to have been in business for a considerable amount of time, they also have (it seems) a majority of owners who are happy with their purchase and the replica looks very close to the original. Additionally, I have driven many Toyotas and MR2s and I have had very positive experiences with them. These are some of the factors which will affect my ultimate decision. I certainly like the Cougar but some seem to complain about the mechanical aspects of the vehicle which worry me.
    I am waiting for a reply from Spyder Sports for the Gallardo as the site does not offer much info about it. John Watson's kits seem fine but I just finished reading a thread which Viper10 had some info entered and it worried me a bit. I haven't heard DNA customers being in the position he is in.
    At the moment, I am having a hard time choosing between the:
    1.) Extreme Murcielago from Extreme Sports Cars
    2.) Gallardo from http://www.spydersportscars.com/htm
    3.) DNA 430 or Scuderia

I'm a DNA 430 builder at present, I have belonged to the OC for around three years and can honestly say I don't think there's ever been an unhappy DNA customer post on the site, can't say anymore than that really. The 5cudo is a big car, the ford reliability is no more annoying than any other manufacturer.

Thanks for the info, but can someone recommend a local body and paint shop in Southern California who would do a great job on painting kit cars and replicas with an honest price? I have gotten a reply so far from Gustafson Brothers in Orange County (but thats about it).

Quote Originally Posted by Fauxrrari View Post
    $1500-3000 for a decent quality job assuming all body work is done

If body work is needed $6-12000

Our shop paints about 1 replica per month but we have never painted a lambo. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that I don't think any reputable shops would be able to touch it for $1500 - $3000. Most of our paint jobs have a cost to us at over $2000. just for paint, reducers, clear, activator, gun cleaner, assorted sand paper , masking tape, masking paper, prep solv, tack cloths and a new respirator element. That does not include the use of a good booth, booth filters and a good painters wages to spray it. I would figure about $5000. and if it cost you less, you will be happy !

I'd say that there is quite a bit of difference between DNA's kits and Extremes. With Extremes kit, you have to cutaway most of the rear end to make way for a new frame that'll support the replica rear end they make. That's normal, unfortunately. Personally, I wouldn't go with Extreme, as there are a lot of unhappy customers who have said that they have parts missing from their kits and that contact is terrible, particularly after sales. DNA have a U.S. based branch, as well as a U.K. one and one in Spain, too, so you're spoilt for choice with them. Their kits are also a lot easier to complete. It helps to get all of the parts in a kit to complete a replica.

Chris